Join Early Retirement Today

Tables set and we are going to sitdown,
Old 11-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tables set and we are going to sitdown,

Hey Firecalc community---thanks for being here.

Jim and I have been together for 40 years or so and to our amazement we've made it. Four dogs and the 2 of us is really what we are wanting in life. Jim retired from the PO in 2011 and I am going part-time this spring. We will both be 62 then.

Anyway one of us retired early and I don't mind working as the discount at work(hardware)is awesome.

Hello and thanks.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

Welcome Jim and Thom!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy Thanksgiving, Jim and Thom!

40 years together, and 4 dogs - so one dog per decade! Sounds perfect. Have a blessed holiday.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you as you're entering this next stage.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome & Happy Thanksgiving !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone.

This site is a great source and the calculator was very helpful in helping form our decision. Hope I input everything correctly or we could be in a world of hurt.

Many/all of my questions were answered by going thru the back posts on the calculator questions section so should be OK.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to both of you! Your life with the dogs sounds delightful!
Happy thanksgiving!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Calico--we've had 6 at one time. Fortunately we have always had pretty good sized yard or extra property to play on/in.

Sarah in SC-- some people might think "what a dull life" we lead. Our wants/needs are few and you are right that those goofy canines are a delight.

Present compliment is 1 shepard/mix rescue, 2 deaf white boxers given to us by their "breeder". And finally there is the Old English Sheepdog. OES are a fabulous breed to be controlled by.

He is our 2nd, although 30 years apart. Had a lot of rescues in the in-between years. We had forgotten how special this breed is.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh I do love the OES breed! So shaggy! I've always hankered after a similarly bossy Great Pyrenees pup, but I'm stuck with the five random black and white dogs we currently host, mostly border collies. And boy, talk about running the household!!

Good for you, and the boring life isn't all that boring if you like it!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Calico--we've had 6 at one time. Fortunately we have always had pretty good sized yard or extra property to play on/in.

Sarah in SC-- some people might think "what a dull life" we lead. Our wants/needs are few and you are right that those goofy canines are a delight.

Present compliment is 1 shepard/mix rescue, 2 deaf white boxers given to us by their "breeder". And finally there is the Old English Sheepdog. OES are a fabulous breed to be controlled by.

He is our 2nd, although 30 years apart. Had a lot of rescues in the in-between years. We had forgotten how special this breed is.
Six at one time - wow!

Sounds like my house, just substitute cats for dogs. I've had dozens of fosters and rescues over the years. I had to stop fostering a few years ago due to the need to tend to chronic health issues of my own elderly cats at the time, but I plan to get back into in when I retire. Currently I am owned by two orange tabby sisters. Life is never boring with these fur critters around!

Your menagerie is lucky to have ended up with you guys.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Administrator

Welcome aboard, Jim and Thom.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #12

Thom, I'm interested in your comment about working in hardware. There is a great Ace Hardware in my neighborhood that is fun to go into. They have everything I ever need and the staff mostly consists of helpful and friendly folks like me in their 50s and 60s, who seem to have a good camaraderie and enjoy helping customers find this or that. I'm sure it is w*rk for them at times but it seems fun, too, not to mention the discount :-). I note their requests for part-time help, which seems just right. Is that the kind of place you work? Upsides and downsides?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Thom, I'm interested in your comment about working in hardware. There is a great Ace Hardware in my neighborhood that is fun to go into. They have everything I ever need and the staff mostly consists of helpful and friendly folks like me in their 50s and 60s, who seem to have a good camaraderie and enjoy helping customers find this or that. I'm sure it is w*rk for them at times but it seems fun, too, not to mention the discount :-). I note their requests for part-time help, which seems just right. Is that the kind of place you work? Upsides and downsides?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Sounds very similar to where I am. It is a DoitBest that started out as a True Value about 45 years ago.

Most of the employees 40 total approx. are part-time with 7 fulltime people not counting the owners. The p/ters are generally either 55 or over who work 10-20 hours a week, or they are high school and college students needing some cash. The old guys form the core of the sales floor as they have the experience with home repairs etc. The youngsters are cashiers, hired muscle for carryouts and also floor help.

I started in 2002 at 48 when my previous retail employer went belly up. It worked out perfectly for me as I get to walk to work, discount is 5% over cost and it came with medical and 401k benefits. Also I was my dads guardian and needed a bit of flexibility at times for his issues.
Probably should mention that Jim-DH- is a cousin to the family. May have helped a teenie bit. I was able to join onto Jims retiree medical through the federal govt in 2014 and we did a decent(not great) job of saving. He retired in 2011 on a Civil Service pension.

If you think you have an interest, by all means go for it.

We have had retired plumbers, electricians, auto mechinacs, school teachers, pro painters etc working the sales floor. You don't need to necessarily have a license of some sort. Although if electrical, for instance, you need to know the basics and some of the finer points and not just home remedies. If someone says to you, that they want to put a higher amp fuse in their box, because the lower amp keeps blowing, well you just can't sell them what they want. That customer doesn't have a fuse problem, they have an electrical problem on that line, and you proceed from there or call another employee more skilled in electrical problems to help.

Yeah it is a great way to get out and about and most of these places like the local homegrown customer who becomes an employee, because you are a known commodity and know others who shop there.

Hey good luck.