Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Take Reduced Benefits ????
Old 08-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Money in the pocket today is better than than a future promise. I even took my pension early to have cash to invest over a longer period that waiting for a slightly bigger check 15 years from now. I can make more on it by investing it than I could by waiting for it to increase as part of their defined benefit plan.

When I am 62, I will file for SS and take it as soon as I can. Take the money and run. Waiting for a future payback that might not happen is not my plan. Who knows when your number is up and you won't be around to spend it?
I plan on taking my IRA distributions early too. If the numbers continue to climb too high too soon, I will be faced with much larger required distributions and having to pay income tax on the whole distribution instead of smaller ones I can take after 59.5 I pay enough taxes without adding to the pile. I already feel like I have been supporting several families in addition to mine.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is there any doubt?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
While I recognize this is true for many, I'm not convinced this will be true for us. My DW and I love to travel. We are almost never home.
This will cost you less money....if you get old enough, you will be "almost never home" for free!! (if you have LTC insurance). You might think you will be flying around a lot when you get too old to hike and cycle, and you probably will for a while. But then there will come a time when you will fly around a lot without an airplane....even time travelling is possible!

Old 08-02-2005, 12:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
. . .But then there will come a time when you will fly around a lot without an airplane....even time travelling is possible!*

This sounds great. Fortunately, we both have some experience with this kind of travel from our younger days.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:16 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Timothy Leary's dead... 8)

Moody Blues, Legend of a Mind

"In the Seventies we did acid; now we won't eat white bread!"

Source unknown

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Sadly, I seem to know a number of people in their early to mid 50s (my age) who are either dead or getting ready to enter that state. I'm all for the "get it while you can" school of thought as I seem to have misplaced my lifetime warranty that was given to me when I was born.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM   #47

That's why I always get the extended warranty!!!