Take Severance ? Need a Final Push!

My last day! Woohoo!! Let's see how this goes, have a 21-day trip planned starting next week. :)

Congrats! I really don't think you'll regret your decision. Very much sounded like you needed a big change whether that's permanent FIRE or just the time and headspace to figure out what comes next.

I read this whole thread and I think you made the right decision. You have a lot of real estate to handle and I doubt you will have any issues getting mortgages etc to grow your holdings. You will look back in a few years and know what you decided was correct and likely smile. Enjoys your next chapter and welcome!

Quick update since calling it quits in Sept:

- Have taken two long international trips (3 weeks, 2 weeks)
- Have taken two domestic trips (2 weeks, 1 week)
- Attended three bowl games
- Spent way more time w/ my nieces and nephew
- Purchased a new property (I like real estate 🤷; it's a hobby)
- And a ton of other fun things

Spend has definitely gone up, but since my RE income alone was more than 2x my burn, I still have a ton of buffer left. Net worth has spiked up since market has gone up and still waiting for my additional severance pay, bonus, and RSU vest in 2024.

Overall: 95% - incredibly thankful I made the right choice and absorbed by tons of fun activities. 5% - thinking about what I left on the table. I can't say 100% fun b/c there's still that little part of me that wonders :), BUT have to say that i'm very happy I made my decision and life has been great!

Quick update since calling it quits in Sept:

- Have taken two long international trips (3 weeks, 2 weeks)
- Have taken two domestic trips (2 weeks, 1 week)
- Attended three bowl games
- Spent way more time w/ my nieces and nephew
- Purchased a new property (I like real estate 🤷; it's a hobby)
- And a ton of other fun things

Spend has definitely gone up, but since my RE income alone was more than 2x my burn, I still have a ton of buffer left. Net worth has spiked up since market has gone up and still waiting for my additional severance pay, bonus, and RSU vest in 2024.

Overall: 95% - incredibly thankful I made the right choice and absorbed by tons of fun activities. 5% - thinking about what I left on the table. I can't say 100% fun b/c there's still that little part of me that wonders :), BUT have to say that i'm very happy I made my decision and life has been great!

This is amazing! You have really hit the ground, running. Keep us posted on further adventures. Aloha

This is amazing! You have really hit the ground, running. Keep us posted on further adventures. Aloha

Another quick update for anyone who cares, just to say that Post-FIRE has been way busier that Pre-FIRE and FUN. Since my 1/11 update, I've

• Mentored and supported some former direct reports on career guidance; I enjoyed this part of work.
  • Traveled to six more international countries and two more domestic cities
  • Loosened the purse strings a bit. Given that my real estate brings in $16k/mo alone now, I've given my permission to be okay on spending on flights, hotels, and food more. Especially in cheaper countries, the dollar goes a long way.
  • Net worth has bumped up to ~7.1m with my severance pay and equities growth. Crazy that my initial post on this thread, I was at 6.1m.

From time to time, I do have some thoughts that I left a lot on the table, maybe even more so now since my severance and bonus payouts just ended, but overall i've been super happy w/ my decision and quality of life (and experiences) have 4x'ed!

There is always "something" left on the table. You have to decide when you have enough, then leave and enjoy life.
It sounds like you are enjoying life! Congratulations!

Thanks for the update. So glad the market has been wonderful to you. May it remain so (for ALL of us!)

Back
Top Bottom