Taking a job without telling Employer I plan to FIRE

I like the comment that you hope to stay until you retire. A high retention rate is a huge plus.

Plan your life so that you are ready in four years but keep in mind that circumstances may change. Don't share your goal with others.

Last edited:
Don't discuss your plans. That is none of their business to know.

Hi All,

Need some life advice here because I'm feeling a little bit guilty.

I left my higher paying sales job and am looking to land a less stressful administrative position. I plan on working exactly 4 more years before retiring at age 52.

I found the perfect position close to home and am one of the final candidates. During the interview process, the employer and her team said they are looking for a "lifer" someone who they hope will "stick around" because her last admin assistant lasted 15 years.

If I tell her I plan on retiring in 4 years, I most likely wont get the job. But then again is it even realistic for an employer to expect a "lifer"? I mean I don't even know if the employers themselves will be around 4 years from now.

What would you do if you were me? Keep quiet, take the job and let them deal with my retirement decision 4 years from now or spill the beans now? THANKS!

I agree with all the posters who say don't tell the potential employer a thing about your plans.

Take it from me, you can have all the plans in the world and then life can throw you a curve ball out of the blue (eg, unexpected health setbacks). It's best to play your cards close to your vest.

As noted many times over already, they are not offering you a lifetime guarantee of employment.

No one knows where they will be next week, let alone 15 years from now. Say you plan to work until you retire.

"I plan to stay until I retire, whenever that may be."

Putting it this way may sidestep them from asking you, "When do you plan to retire?"

Just my 2 cents.

...Keep quiet, take the job and let them deal with my retirement decision 4 years from now or spill the beans now? THANKS!

That's the way I would go. The last job I had I took expecting to do it for 2-3 years and then go do something different. They treated me well and it was interesting work... so I ended up staying 13 years until I retired.

Tell them “ I would love it if this was my last job”. Which would be the truth.

I had another thought inspired by one of the above comments:

"I strongly want this to be win-win. I really want to work here as long as it makes sense for both of us, for as long as you are benefitting from my performance, and for as long as I am benefitting from working with you. I hope that we both hope that this is a long while."

If you are offered the job, take it with no guilt about a truncated future. Give them a good 4 years, and do what's best for YOU, rest assured, most companies do what is best for THEM first.

Don't mention your plans to them about F.I.R.E.

I wouldn't feel guilty. Sounded like they just want a good candidate that is going to stick around awhile. They don't want someone that is going to leave after a few months or a year. Companies are always looking out for their best interest and so should you. No one can realistically expect anyone to know if they are going to work someplace for a long period of time when they don't even know what it's like to work for that company. Most people probably do intend to stay assuming they like that job and the pay is great.

I was asked in a job interview about 4 years ago how long I intended to work with that company if hired. I was honest and said that depended on how much I liked working there, of course and how long before I could retire, that I had intentions of retiring in a few years. They interviewed me for three hours with at least 4 different supervisors asking me questions. I don't think my answer affected anything or they would not have taken the time to do that. They sent me home with an application to fill out and return, which I feel meant they intended to hire me, but in the end I opted to keep the job I already had and stay close to home.

A lot can happen in 4 years. I wouldn’t say anything about retirement until you’re ready to pull the plug.

Exactly! There is no contract for years you have to sign so I wouldn't have that be a game changer.

When I took my last position, I only intended to be there for 5-6 years. I ended up staying 11.5 years. Things change and plans change. So I would just take the position if offered and remain quiet about my plans for now.

Good advice already given.

As a hiring manager, I would always try to get top talent for openings, and if they stayed two years before seeking more responsibility within the company that was great for career development. Some stayed longer because they liked the work and did not want upward mobility.

The only new perspective is that if the new job entails a significant amount of training - then there are some reasonable expectations for a new employee sticking around. (One of my departments had a one year training program - new hire candidates were clearly told that two years of work were expected after graduation from that course).

If you are not getting some graduate level or months long technical training personal investment - there is no ethical concern about leaving on your own terms.

Just don't tell your future co-workers about the plan until shortly before announcing retirement.

If you were planning to fill in a few months until the pandemic wound down or something, that would be another thing, but four years is a long term plan and is certainly all the commitment any reasonable employer can expect. If you love the work you may very well stay longer. On the other hand, promises the employer laid out may not pan out and you may bail in six months. That's the nature of work. I would tell the employer that I value their commitment to long term employment and leave it at that.

Great responses.

FWIW, I actually read the interviewer's statement a little differently. To me it sounds like they are trying to sell you on accepting the position if offered by letting you know that they are stable and intend to allow you time to grow into the job. I think if you respond with some variation of "that sounds fantastic," I bet they'd be happy with your response.

You said you're one of the final contenders for the position. At this point, IME, most interviewers transition into a salespeople. They'd be happy with any of the final contenders (though there is probably a favorite or two). The worst thing for them at this stage is to get excited about a choice, make an offer, and have it be turned down.

Hi All,

What would you do if you were me? Keep quiet, take the job and let them deal with my retirement decision 4 years from now or spill the beans now? THANKS!

Four years is a long time within careers these days. Lots can change, and likely will change, on both your end and theirs during that time. No need to say anything regarding your plans. And also don't be surprised or bitter if their plans change and you're dismissed in a reorg or similar long before your personal four year goal is up.

It happens.......

No Guilt needed. Who knows what the future brings? You may love the job and stay longer, you may hate the job and leave within a month.
If you are offered the position and you want it, accept it freely and do well.
Best of Luck in your next adventure!

Yes, wisdom. I remember doing this "sales job" from hiring days. When I really wanted someone/someones, I might arrange for my boss to wander in to do a little selling, just to show we're all family here etc.

Great responses.

You said you're one of the final contenders for the position. At this point, IME, most interviewers transition into a salespeople. .

THANK YOU ALL... You've all helped me decide that mum's the word! This is a super large organization not a family business. But there is a small team involved and they are expecting me to be on this team for a long time...they have made that abundantly clear.

One more interview to go...I'll let you guys know how it goes!

GOOD LUCK !!!! I have been retired one month yesterday, Some day you'll love it !!!

Here's my very strong opinion: You'd be NUTS to tell them of your 4 Year plan.
1) It would seal a no-offer. 2) 4 years is not a short time. Heck, you may decide to leave in less time...or longer than 4 years. 3) It would seal a no-offer 4) They won't guarantee you job security for 4 years, never mind "life." 5) It would seal a no-offer. 6) If you're qualified and they want you, they should just make the offer, you should just accept it and let the future be what it would be.

I accepted my last job offer knowing full well I was leaving after 2 years or so.
No guilt whatsoever, and when I gave notice there was no hostility towards me. Finally, did I mention that if you tell them of your 4 year plan it would seal a no-offer?

Thank you for reinforcing my feeling mystang. My lips are sealed..:)

One last thought. IF the job turns out really well, and you stay there the whole four years and everybody loves you, come back here and ask us about how much notice you should give before actually retiring :) There is a lot of experience here about that, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom