Taking first step to RE

5yearstogo

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have decided to move from engineering management into a technical assignment that looks like a lot more fun. I won't take a pay cut, but will lose raises estimated at 3%/year for the next 4 years. I plan to RE in 4 years six months at age 50.

Stepping back from the career focus and picking an assignment with less prestige is a big step for me.

It also didn't hurt that the portfolio broke 1M last night so I figure that I have some options

Welcome to the board, 5Years.

Just about any assignment sound like more fun than management...

Thanks Nords! I am so excited about it.

You guys are my inspiration!

5yearstogo said:
It also didn't hurt that the portfolio broke 1M last night so I figure that I have some options

Congrats! That number still has a lot of magic :)

Coach

Thanks! Hitting the number was pretty amazing and good timing. Slow and steady really does work! We didn't max out the contributions until 10 years ago. The company contribution was around 2% probably of the total. My husband and I started investing around 15 years ago with no real goal other than to have more options in the future. When we started investing, we both really liked our work and couldn't imagine leaving early.

But now work seems like more and more BS. We have two young sons ( 5&6years old) and want more free time to spend with them.

We both have very good paying jobs, but we also reisted the urge to upgrade to a bigger house a few years ago and that has made a big difference in our balance sheet.

It is exciting to contemplate life where work takes a less significant role in the future.

Back
Top Bottom