Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Teenage Views Of Parents
Old 05-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best tips on being a better liar.

Tell "A" truth, just not "THE" truth...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My teenage Daughter was somewhat rebellious. The problems centered on her boyfriend. Tried showing him my gun collection trick, but it didn’t work. She was living at home, going to school and working. Found out she was funneling her boyfriend money while living off me. The last straw was when she bought him a car. My wife was not amused either. She invited Daughter to move out. She is on her own now. I’m sure she is learning a lot.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
My teenage Daughter was somewhat rebellious. The problems centered on her boyfriend. Tried showing him my gun collection trick, but it didn’t work. She was living at home, going to school and working. Found out she was funneling her boyfriend money while living off me. The last straw was when she bought him a car. My wife was not amused either. She invited* Daughter to move out. She is on her own now. I’m sure she is learning a lot.
The worst "boyfriend" had to be physically ejected from my house.
Picture me dragging him by the collar to the front door. I was taking
a chance since I am 5-9 and 155# and he had 25 years on me.
I suppose I could have ended up in the ER. Got him out though.
Eventually my daughter wised up.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Picture me dragging him by the collar to the front door.
My favorite "Married With Children" scenes were Ed O'Neill dragging Christina Applegate's hapless boyfriends by their collars-- right into the doorframes. Sometimes it took him two or three tries to get them out the door...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #25

Hey you guys-you are not helping me feel any better. As a matter of fact, I am starting to feel more nervous! Is there any laws about keeping daughters locked up until they are at least 25 years old??

Dreamer
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
Hey you guys-you are not helping me feel any better.*
We're just basing our opinions on the way we were (and what we were looking for) when we were teenage boys.

Not to worry-- I'm sure today's teenage boys are different...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-17-2005, 02:25 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'll let all y'all know in 12.9 years...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #28

Quote:
...she is throwing a fit wanting her own car. So far, we are hanging tough...
We avoided getting her a car, and it has worked out great. There have only been about 4 times in the last year that all three of us needed a car at the same time, and they were all easily worked out with some dropping off, etc.

Boyfriend

Our daughter's boyfriend is a really nice guy, but pretty much of a loser. He writes at a fourth grade level ("rilly well"). He said he wants to go into criminal psychology because he figures "a lot of criminals in jails will need psychologists." We don't get it, cause our daughter is super smart, #4 in the class, etc.

They've been going out a year, and she spends almost every day with him. Boy are we going to break out the champagne when they break up!

Blowups

The book I mentioned above says that things will be especially problematic in the last months before college. The idea is that the kid is torn between being independent and still being dependent. Also, I believe that there is evolutionary pressure towards friction between parents and adolescents, because there's adaptive value in getting them out of the cave and on their own.

In any case, that's true here. A few major blow ups last week.

Two months, 27 days to go!!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We didn't get our teenagers cars. They could borrow an old one for specific activities. Son earned $$ and bought one his senior year. Daughter borrowed the 'heaper her sophomore year in college to get to a job. IMHO cars make oversight more difficult.

Son's teenage years were difficlut. His younger sister must have learned from his experiance and either didn't get caught or avoided problems.

Daughter's boy friends were, with only one exception, the class "geek". Were were envy of our circle.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Boyfriend

Our daughter's boyfriend is a really nice guy, but pretty much of a loser. He writes at a fourth grade level ("rilly well"). He said he wants to go into criminal psychology because he figures "a lot of criminals in jails will need psychologists." We don't get it, cause our daughter is super smart, #4 in the class, etc.

They've been going out a year, and she spends almost every day with him. Boy are we going to break out the champagne when they break up!

When my wife dumped with her loser boyfriend, her parents literally did break out the champaigne. She still can't really say why she dated him, as she was #11 in her class, went to top ten University, and he "was taking some jr. college courses". I dated a non ambitious girl in high school, but that um...was short term thinking....shutting up now.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
When my wife dumped with her loser boyfriend, her parents literally did break out the champaigne. She still can't really say why she dated him, as she was #11 in her class, went to top ten University, and he "was taking some jr. college courses". I dated a non ambitious girl in high school, but that um...was short term thinking....shutting up now.
Your wife probably dated the loser for the same reasons you dated the loser.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
LA LA LA LA-LA CAN'T HERE YOU-LA LA LA LA LA

Old 05-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I was a %^&* as a teenager. Started to get it together at 17 and 'took some courses at the jr. college'. I ended up with a masters degree from a top 5 engineering school. Then retired at 38. In college I noticed that many students who were sucessful in HS weren't at the University. The pace is 100 times faster. Many burned out partying. I was over that.

All my girlfriends' parents loved me.

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I'm betting that Laurences wife wasnt dating the guy because he had big bazoombas.

Oh wait, I'm getting your drift now...
Old 05-25-2005, 04:37 PM   #35

I was a Scoutmaster of a Boy Scout Troop. So I have had quite a lot of experience with teen-age boys. Many went through a phase where they were convinced that the old men were stupid and they were smart. Didn't matter that we had much more experience than them. Even asked one if he planed on getting stupider as he got older since we older men were. Didn't sink in. Fortunately my son was not among those who wouldn't listen to adults.

Teen-age Daughter is another story.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Arrgh! Reminds me of "Meet the Parents"

"So honey, why did you date your ex-boyfriend?"

"Oh, it was just a physical thing"

"You mean you excersiced together?"

"No silly, the great sex."

"Oh, I see, excuse me while I go throw up now!"
Old 05-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #37

If you could see my Daughters boyfriend you would wonder what the physical attraction could be. Also the boyfriend has, no education, no ambition, no money. But still thinks he is better.

Funny, I considered my Father In Law a friend and still miss him. (Gone for many years now.)
Old 05-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We don't get it, cause our daughter is super smart, #4 in the class, etc.
Well, Laurence, I had a great paragraph ready to post but you took the words right out of my mouth. *And back then I wasn't thinking short-term... I was thinking big!

Quote:
The book I mentioned above says that things will be especially problematic in the last months before college. *The idea is that the kid is torn between being independent and still being dependent. *Also, I believe that there is evolutionary pressure towards friction between parents and adolescents, because there's adaptive value in getting them out of the cave and on their own. *

In any case, that's true here. *A few major blow ups last week. *

Two months, 27 days to go!!
I think it's also "distancing". *When people have time to prepare for an impending separation, they mentally & emotionally start to back away from each other. *Sometimes it's also a physical separation long before the actual departure. *The feelings of abandonment & separation start early and last for a long time, so the departure is greeted with "Get it over with already!" *And of course it's easy to pick fights or to otherwise misbehave because it justifies the anger you already feel about that person leaving you.

Our kid shows that behavior in the couple weeks before she goes on school (overnight) field trips. *At least now that we've talked about it she can recognize the symptoms. *

The military has learned (via painful experience) that the worst time for family/spouse abuse is the day that the deployment doesn't happen. *("Hi, honey, sorry to call at 10 PM but the reactor whatzat is broke and we're not leaving today! *Can you come pick me up?")

You think it's bad now, wait until the kids call to vent or commiserate and we parents mistake it for problem-solving opinion-requesting time... *

Old 05-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #39

Okay, let's see...........I bought all 3 kids a car. Son a "muscle car",
and both daughters a sports cars. Back in my "big spender days".

Son did not date a lot. I only really warmed up to one of his girl friends.
He finally got married last year at age 39. Don't really know his wife that well yet. Older daughter married a Lutheran minister...........
my number one choice for her. Sure got lucky there. Youngest
daughter has shown very good sense in the "courtship" dept.
A little surprised as I never thought of her as being nearly as sharp
as her sister. Anyway, so far so good. The youngest is the only one still single and as far as I know, no hot prospects.

JG
Old 05-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
If you could see my Daughters boyfriend you would wonder what the physical attraction could be. Also the boyfriend has, no education, no ambition, no money. But still thinks he is better.
Not sure why, but I immediately thought of Anniston/Pitt and Moore/Kutchner
but there's no accounting for taste. Anyway, I'm embarrassed for these 2
women whenever I see them with their SOs.

JG

« just tired | Newbie »