Tennesseans moving toward retirement

peaceofmind

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi!

My husband is about 6 weeks from leaving a school administration post...he will teach one class for the next couple of years until medicare kicks in, to help pay for his health insurance. I am 9 years younger, 54, and am trying to decide whether or not to retire. We will soon move to nearby city to help care for DH's elderly mom, will live in her spacious abode and DH will commute three days a week to teach his class. I am considering my options. I have turned in my notice to my employer, and will leave my job on May 31. Hubby and I have met with a financial advisor who reports that we have enough saved in TIAA-CREF, my pension from 20 years from public school system, and some savings, that we can make it if we are careful. I just recently came to the realization that the only job I want is one that I would keep IF I won the powerball lottery!! (I don't play the lottery, but whatever...) Wonder if such a job exists:confused: I have a heart for volunteering, so that may be how I spend my time. Anyway, I am glad to be part of this forum, and hope to make friends, to find out how you all are doing early retirement, and to keep an open mind!

Thanks for being here! :greetings10:

welcome peaceofmind!

my wife was in a similar position as you are in now and she ended up going the volunteer route. it was a bit of a challenge for her initially, and somewhat scary, but it has worked out wonderfully for her - it has truly been a transformational experience for her. there is so much need, can't have too many folks following their passion and volunteering!

best of luck.

jb

You're in an ideal situation, now's the time to move to a job you really like. I'd recommend you check this out at your local library. It's mostly reference, you can actually read/complete the book/exercise in a matter of several hours.

IMO, it's better than the ever popular What Color is Your Parachute?

Best of luck with the new chapter in your lives, now's your chance to make it a good one.

Attachments

• do-what-you-are-discover-the-perfect-career-for-you-through-the-secrets-of-personality-type.jpg
    do-what-you-are-discover-the-perfect-career-for-you-through-the-secrets-of-personality-type.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 59
JB and Midpack,

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom! Your encouragement is very welcome, and, Midpack, I will be glad to check out the book suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom