Join Early Retirement Today

Thanks guys
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks guys

I have to say I was close to taking the leap.

but you guys mentioned I would probably come up a bit short.

I think so now also. doing alot of calculating and such and I think I need about 3 more years of saving. Saving big!!!

when I plug in those numbers I hope to achieve my success rate jumps into the 95 plus range. I can deal with 95 plus and take the chance.

plus I get 3 more years of seeing what this horrible economy will do.

I appreciate the advice. wife almost said 'I told ya so' but ''just kept her trap shut'' she got me on that one
SoutheastSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

95% success is fantastic and its only 3 short years away !

(PS - I'm assuming your wife was a driver in getting you to join the forum - smart lady )
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #3

While you say "horrible economy" I say BULL MARKET. If the bulls continue to run, you may get there in less than three years.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

This will also give you more time to plan, work on budget, and investigate selling the land you own. Best of luck Southeast!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
While you say "horrible economy" I say BULL MARKET. If the bulls continue to run, you may get there in less than three years.

very true. I will do my best to make it all happen and get the best results with what I have.

thanks all
even 3 yrs isn't bad. could be worse and be one who has to work when 70 life sure can be a crapshoot sometimes for people
SoutheastSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

To the OP: I would not make the jump with a 5% failure rate. I guess I am more conservative.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
To the OP: I would not make the jump with a 5% failure rate. I guess I am more conservative.
I doubt that Firecalc is accurate to within 5% for success rate.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I doubt that Firecalc is accurate to within 5% for success rate.
Unless there is a problem with the historical data or the algorithms (possible), it should be just as accurate as it reports.

Do you have reason to believe the data or algorithms have errors of that magnitude?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Unless there is a problem with the historical data or the algorithms (possible), it should be just as accurate as it reports.

Do you have reason to believe the data or algorithms have errors of that magnitude?

-ERD50
I think he means if you were to use the Firecalc number as the probability of future success the confidence bounds would be wider than +/- 5%.

When you use the firecalc number as a descriptive statistic for what happened in the past, then there's no uncertainty.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From another thread:

Quote:
To answer the OP's question, I am planning for a 47 year horizon and my SWR is about 3%.
So does this mean you have increased your AA to around 50% equities? I must have missed that - the last I recall your purchase of Wellington (or Wellesley?) was ~ 1%~2%?

A 47 year horizon and 3% WR only gives a 39.4% success rate with 1% equities:

FIRECalc: inputs for 3%, 47 years, 1% EQ AA

It takes ~ 50% AA to achieve a historical 100% success for 47 years (use the investigate tab on that link).

What am I missing?

-ERD50
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #11

European pensions, deferred annuities, and the use of SPIAs planned at a much later age which in my case increase the success rate.
Quote:

What am I missing?

-ERD50
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I think he means if you were to use the Firecalc number as the probability of future success the confidence bounds would be wider than +/- 5%.

When you use the firecalc number as a descriptive statistic for what happened in the past, then there's no uncertainty.

This is precisely what I meant. You have expressed it far better than I did.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
European pensions, deferred annuities, and the use of SPIAs planned at a much later age which in my case increase the success rate.
Then the 3% WR seems misleading. A pension could decrease your WR, adding safety. But it doesn't make a 3% WR last any longer than a 3% WR without a pension.

I have not tried plugging annuities into FIRECALC, but offhand I wouldn't think they would do much to increase success. You pay now (decreasing your portfolio) to get something later - it's trade-off with pros/cons. Pros would be the advantage of averaging your mortality risk with a large group, cons would be the ins co has to charge for this and you might lose out on long term market gains if it was in a balanced AA.

Annuities can help assure some floor income in old age, but I'm not sure they would provide 100% success for a 3% WR in a fixed income portfolio for 47 years.

It might be interesting enough for me to start a new thread - maybe we could plug some typical annuity numbers into FIRECALC?

-ERD50
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

ok with me.
Quote:
It might be interesting enough for me to start a new thread - maybe we could plug some typical annuity numbers into FIRECALC?

-ERD50