Join Early Retirement Today

the dynamic retirement
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

the dynamic retirement

I think this best describes our approach to the retirement concept. Or, retire early and retire often for those with a sense of humor.
Several times over the course of 35 years together, DW and I made the decision to step off the treadmill for a year or more and go take a look around. Yep, we sold the house, stored the things, burned the bridge and hit the road with no definate plans.
For us the key was to keep our life super simple - no kids, no pets, and relatively few possesions. After several downsizings, all of our stuff (minus the vehicles) can fit into a 10' x 15' storage unit.
I would guess that we are towards the end of the pack here when comparing portfolios. But as the outdoors type, I can tell you, there are things we could do in our 30's and 40's that just don't feel the same in our 50's. We hope to hit the road for good in 1-2 years.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

Life is about happiness not the size of your portfolio.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

I am not complaining. To the contrary, I am amazed and grateful for how well it has worked for us.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bgy View Post
I am not complaining. To the contrary, I am amazed and grateful for how well it has worked for us.
Sounds awesome, enjoy your time on the road!!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

OP, there seems to be a lot of dogma and scare tactics out there saying you can't quit your job for a long stretch and hope to restart in a similar line of work later on.

I'll grant that it would be hard to get back in at a comparable salary as when you left, but I still think this type of thinking is a bit of myth.

What has been your experience?
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

I am self-employed, or rather self-unemployed now, but for DW, each time she re-entered the workplace, she was able to secure a higher paying job. It helped her in the sense that we were willing and able to relocate and wait for the right opportunity.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Welcome!

You have a wonderful lifestyle. Much luck to you.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

You may like another forum I frequent, which involves people living a minimalist mobile lifestyle: some by choice, others not - but a lot of information on frugal living and the freedom of mobility.

Cheaprvliving.com

They have a somewhat different definition of FI
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #9

A former executive once pointed out to me what appeared to be a bum sleeping on a park bench. He said to me: "That man may be more successful than me or you. If he is doing exactly what he wants to do when he wants to do it he is to be considered a success."

Food for thought that I never forgot...
Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil Wheel View Post
OP, there seems to be a lot of dogma and scare tactics out there saying you can't quit your job for a long stretch and hope to restart in a similar line of work later on.

I'll grant that it would be hard to get back in at a comparable salary as when you left, but I still think this type of thinking is a bit of myth.
It largely depends on the line of work. In some occupations (e.g., law, investment advice), it is very difficult to take extended breaks and then resume working, at least without taking a huge pay cut. On the other hand, in nursing or many medical specialities it is relatively easy to find employment after a de facto sabbatical.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bgy View Post
I think this best describes our approach to the retirement concept. Or, retire early and retire often for those with a sense of humor.
Several times over the course of 35 years together, DW and I made the decision to step off the treadmill for a year or more and go take a look around. Yep, we sold the house, stored the things, burned the bridge and hit the road with no definate plans.
For us the key was to keep our life super simple - no kids, no pets, and relatively few possesions. After several downsizings, all of our stuff (minus the vehicles) can fit into a 10' x 15' storage unit.
I would guess that we are towards the end of the pack here when comparing portfolios. But as the outdoors type, I can tell you, there are things we could do in our 30's and 40's that just don't feel the same in our 50's. We hope to hit the road for good in 1-2 years.
We all make life style choices. Yours maximized your enjoyment. Different choices maximized life enjoyment for others. If you were able to spend your time the way you wanted to spend it, given the trade-offs, good for you and glad to hear it all worked out!

Welcome to the FIRE board! You'll find a wide array of lifestyles being lived and discussed here.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

Thanks to all for the comments.
We traded a significant amount of income for a significant amount of time off, but we are not poor. No regrets on the trade.
The job market has tightened considerably in the past 4 years. Our journey would not be repeatable in todays world.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

I applaud the courage it took to be able to do this. I couldn't have. I took risks, but they were different risks, and were mostly risks that involved higher pay, higher status, higher savings, etc, if things went right. Happy to say they did go right, and we are now happily retired at 51. But, you are right. Doing what we did meant that we were risking not being able to do some things we wanted...and this is definitely the case. At 51, I still have a lot that I can do, but it's not what I could have done at 30 or 40.

R
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
Sounds awesome, enjoy your time on the road!!
+1
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Look forward to hearing more about your travels, future and past.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are correct about doing things in your 30s vs your 50s...I am in my mid 50s now and backpacking etc are definately more challenging! Still fun but more huffing and puffing.
I went the other way - got lucky with a high paying job early and rode that wave as long as I could, retired at 49 - it's great, I am very happy. But having youth AND freedom......that's pretty special.
Welcome
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #17

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your travels.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote