Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
Financially, you have a slam dunk. Move on and quit over working it. Congrats!

Edit - if you want to continue over working it, rerun firecalc with the option in the last tab set to investigate what the maximum you can spend yearly with a 95% confidence. That will give you some idea of how much "fat" you have in your plan.
I'm trying to figure out how to do what you suggested, but it keeps saying "Error." Could you walk me though what I have to do, and where (which choice?) with the last tab?
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to do what you suggested, but it keeps saying "Error." Could you walk me though what I have to do, and where (which choice?) with the last tab?
I've posted response to your query back on your "Do I have Enough" thread so it reflects your situation rather than this OP's. Hope it helps.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

You have waaaay more assets than you will ever need. The more realistic scenario is that you will die with a higher net worth than you have today......

64 is still young enough to enjoy a few decades of time away from work. I would jump in and start figuring out what you want to do with your time, the financial aspects are covered through and through again.
Vagabond2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 What you might do is to use the sensitivity tools in Firecalc to see how much you could spend and still be at a high success ratio... I suspect that it will be much more than you think you need and perhaps that might make you feel comfortable.

When I was making the decision I ran just about every retirement calculator that I could find using the same, conservative assumptions and they all gave me various versions of a green light and I then became more comfortable with pulling the trigger.
+2. But each of us has to decide for ourselves when we're financially ready to pull the trigger. Some people are fine with 70-80% success rate (lowest I've seen), others are looking for 200% (twice as many $ as the 100% threshold), and others somewhere in between - and all are right! Each of us will live with the decision, no one else, no one here or anyone else. If you're not as confident as you'd like to be, maybe you should work until you are, most of us can't undo retirement - it's a one way street. But you'll never be 100% confident, and it's likely you will miss some aspects or people from work, so don't wait for that. And if you wait a few years, or many years, odds are you'll still be retired for a good long time.

Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
+2. But each of us has to decide for ourselves when we're financially ready to pull the trigger. Some people are fine with 70-80% success rate (lowest I've seen), others are looking for 200% (twice as many $ as the 100% threshold), and others somewhere in between - and all are right! Each of us will live with the decision, no one else, no one here or anyone else. If you're not as confident as you'd like to be, maybe you should work until you are, most of us can't undo retirement - it's a one way street. But you'll never be 100% confident, and it's likely you will miss some aspects or people from work, so don't wait for that. And if you wait a few years, or many years, odds are you'll still be retired for a good long time.
Midpack, I think you are on target. Financial readiness in retirement is a personal decision. There are so many factors that influence the decision, and only the individual who has the complete picture can make a full assessment. That said, it still is helpful to get opinions from others even if they don’t know all the factors. This forum is an excellent resource for soliciting those other opinions.

From many of the responses to my original and follow-up posts, I get the impression that others view me and my wife to be somewhat out-of-touch worry warts. I do certainly appreciate the feedback, and to some degree it is reassuring, but I don’t think we are worry warts. I have lots of concerns about withdrawal strategies, tax strategies with impending RMDs, long term care strategies, paying for healthcare, inflation, etc. How these play out can certainly have an impact on our financial wellbeing during retirement. I understand that I will never be 100% confident, but I would like to be as close to 100% as possible. I probably need to be more specific in my posting, and maybe need a number of more focused posts on different issues. I think everyone would benefit from dialogs on these topics.

You also touch on the fact that pulling the trigger on retirement isn’t solely a financial decision. That certainly is the case for me. I am definitely not happy in my work life right now and I don’t see that changing. There are no aspects of my current work that I will miss (other than a steady paycheck), and I can always maintain contact with the people that I have close relationships with. There are also plenty of purposeful activities waiting for me and my wife when I finally leave. For me, I think it is largely an emotional issue. I have been working non-stop all my adult life, and there is something about the finality of the retirement decision that gives me anxiety and a bit of paralysis. As I stated in an earlier post, reorganizations at the company I work for will likely impact me, but that could still be several months away or might not happen at all. The thought of being there for several months or longer is not very appealing. Hopefully I will get the guts to move on to my next chapter soon.

Once again, I really appreciate all the feedback I have received on this forum. It is a great resource that wasn’t available in the not so distant past.
ready53 is offline   Reply With Quote