Join Early Retirement Today

Thinking about retirement
Old 12-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
gone traveling

Thinking about retirement

Job is starting to stress me out and I am thinking about calling it quits and looking at doing something else less stressful. Maybe dabble in real estate or just relax. Not sure.

My stats:

Savings - $3.8 Million
Assets - $1.1 Million
No debt
Expenses for a good life run $80K a year
Firecalc says I can easily fund and that does not take into account wife's income.
My portfolio alone generates $150 to $200K a year in income.
Taxes kill my income, so why work!

Wife: 48

My wife will continue to work earning about $200K a year and providing health insurance for us.

Am I crazy or should I do it.
I feel like I have plenty and life is too short to do things you don't like to do.
I make about $225K a year now, so I am giving up alot!

Oh, no pension, so it is what I make it!

Thanks!
djr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One missing piece of info - how much do you spend? the more your expenses can be covered by one salary, the better your odds.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
gone traveling

All expenses with a very nice lifetstyle which includes a paid off boat, vacations, etc. is about $80K a year. So after tax my wife's salary will cover until she retires. She is thinking about 2 to 5 years.

Thanks for the reply
Old 12-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr59 View Post
Job is starting to stress me out and I am thinking about calling it quits and looking at doing something else less stressful. Maybe dabble in real estate or just relax. Not sure.

My stats:

Savings - $3.8 Million
Assets - $1.1 Million
No debt

Wife: 48

My wife will continue to work earning about $200K a year and providing health insurance for us.

I feel like I have plenty and life is too short to do things you don't like to do.
I make about $225K a year now, so I am giving up alot!

Oh, no pension, so it is what I make it!

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

It all depends on how much you spend. Some retired couples here spend 50k or less per year. If that is you, then you are probably very good to go. Put your numbers in FireCalc (link at the bottom of the page) and see what it says.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes.

Others are going to ask about expenses, ask if you used Firecalc, etc.

Given your bare-bones description of your situation and given the fact you found this site and asked a group of (friendly, helpful) strangers, I'd say this makes a very good candidate for ER.

Good luck and welcome! Lots of good resources in the vicinity!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This may help answer that question - yes, answering a question with other questions : http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html
Old 12-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
gone traveling

I love reading all the stories of people who retired.
Makes me feel like I can do this.
Retire and fish, boat, read, golf, excercise, basically do all the things I find I have no energy for now because my work sucks the life out of me.
Sure I will miss the huge payday, but its just padding what is a already padded bank account. DW will still work but I will spend my days fixing house up. I will need to find retired friends as my friends are all younger and not retired.

Firecalc shows more than enough. Expenses at $100K and $5Mil net worth for 40 years will be no issue. That does not include her working or SS which I have maxed out for 35 years now.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

I haven't read all the posts above, but my opinion is that you would appear to have more than enough to quit tomorrow. Considering what you and your wife should eventually get from Social Security, too (unless you want to live a very lavish lifestyle), you can likely both retire now. Taxes are likely going to always make you nauseated, especially when you reach the age of required minimum withdrawals from deferred retirement plans combined with delayed Social Security payments. All you need to do is some prudent upfront planning and get your proverbial "ducks in a row". Chances are good that your wealth will increase with time. Just do it!
Beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, IMO, you are crazy not to retire right now.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1

If I am reading your posts correctly, you have $3.8M in investable assets and expenses of $80k/year not including healthcare.

Even if you add $20k/year for healthcare making total expenses $100k/year then that would be a withdrawal rate of 2.6%.

And, that does not include SS which sounds like you maxed out nor does it include any years your wife continues to work (which should all go towards additional savings/investments).

Looks like you are in great shape to me. Even if your wife stopped working, you should be good.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
gone traveling

Thanks. Like I said it feels good to hear people say that.

I always said that I wanted to retire early but I hear people working into 60's and wonder why. I mean at some point you have to stop and smell the roses and enjoy what you have.

My next big dilemma after I get over losing my income is what do I do with my money. I have done well investing. I am a good investor. I am currently sitting at:

Stocks 50%
Bonds 30%
Cash 20%

I know cash is high but I didn't expect the marekt to do well after the election. I was wrong there.

So with $700K in cash, where do I go?
What i would love to do is take $3mil and put it somewhere safe at say 5% and generate $150K a year and never touch the principal!

I said my expenses were $80K and I actually expect they will go down when we move and downsize. I am currently living in a pricey home we don't need and want a condo in Florida.

Thanks again everyone. First day here and I like this site!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always said that I wanted to retire early but I hear people working into 60's and wonder why. I mean at some point you have to stop and smell the roses and enjoy what you have.
There are thousands of posts discussing this very topic. Dig around and you'll find them. Hint: search for "OMY"
Old 12-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #13

What are your $1.1M assets? If that is your house, it should not be included in your retirement income calculation. Even with just $3.8M investment assets, you are good to go, in my opinion.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

Some folks on this board maintain 2 to 5 years expenses in cash just to make sure they don't have to withdraw from stock funds in a down market. Others stay totally invested and figure they will make more that way than sitting on cash. There are some that figure they have more than enough for the rest of their lives and are mostly out of the stock market. You get to decide which way makes most sense to you. As you might have figured out, trying to time the stock market in general may not work out so well.

Personally, I stay about 55/35/10 stocks, bonds, and cash and rebalance when I do my annual withdrawal of about 2%. My basic expenses are covered by SS and pension, so my investments are not critical.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #15
gone traveling

Yes the $1.1M is house, boat, cars, and rentals. Oh there is a life insurance policy with cash value in there too but the value alive not dead! LOL

I disagree with you.
If I cashed everything in that $1.1M I would have $1.1M that can be invested and I can go out and rent a condo and lease a car and those payments would still be less than the carry costs on the current assets. Boat and home are the 2 big nuts in the costs and both are overkill for my life right now and will be scaled back in the future.

I think you should always look at net worth as everything you own minus debts.
Think about it, if I take $500K and buy a summer house, I have a asset worth $500K. If I sell it I may get more or less, usually more. Therefore it has value to my portfolio.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #16

Quote:
What i would love to do is take $3mil and put it somewhere safe at say 5% and generate $150K a year and never touch the principal!
I would love to do that too ... unfortunately, this does not exist.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I would love to do that too ... unfortunately, this does not exist.
Well maybe if interest rates rise we will get the chance. I saw you posted about those andrews CU CD. That seems like a decent deal. I am getting 1% on liquid cash now and i have some 2% CD's

I may have to do the andrews CU one.

Anywhere from 3 to 5% is fine.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes the $1.1M is house, boat, cars, and rentals. Oh there is a life insurance policy with cash value in there too but the value alive not dead! LOL

I disagree with you.
If I cashed everything in that $1.1M I would have $1.1M that can be invested and I can go out and rent a condo and lease a car and those payments would still be less than the carry costs on the current assets. Boat and home are the 2 big nuts in the costs and both are overkill for my life right now and will be scaled back in the future.

I think you should always look at net worth as everything you own minus debts.
Think about it, if I take $500K and buy a summer house, I have a asset worth $500K. If I sell it I may get more or less, usually more. Therefore it has value to my portfolio.
We tend to use investments to determine what an available and sustainable withdrawal rate might be. That is the determining factor in deciding if we have enough to live on for the rest of our lives. If you have assets that can be sold, but you have no intention of selling or will have to replace, such as a place to live, that asset will not help sustain your desired living standard. If, on the other hand, you have a very expensive house and plan to downsize and/or move to a lower cost of living area, you may want to look at a portion of that asset as a later bump in your nest egg. I don't think most here bother trying to slice it that close.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes, IMO, you are crazy not to retire right now.
+1 You're not crazy. RE now.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Well maybe if interest rates rise we will get the chance. I saw you posted about those andrews CU CD. That seems like a decent deal. I am getting 1% on liquid cash now and i have some 2% CD's

I may have to do the andrews CU one.

Anywhere from 3 to 5% is fine.

I think that the Andrews CD is for an IRA only and not for taxable funds.

Regarding your situation, I think you are well situated to retire. Do you have children?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum