This is it!!

janetvj

Dryer sheet aficionado
I started my first thread on this forum a couple of months ago, and was weighing the pros and cons of early retirement. Well, I made my decision, and tomorrow (Friday, April 17th), is my last day at work. I'm on leave for 2 weeks, and will be officially retired on May 1st. I'm excited, scared, a little sad, and a LOT happy! I never thought I would really get here, and while it certainly is a milestone and sort of a sobering reminder that I'm reaching my senior years, I'm also really feeling like it's a new beginning; a rebirth. I'm finally at a point where I can reset my priorities, and start enjoying my life. Instead of feeling like I'm striving toward something, I can feel more like I'm there; I've reached my career goals, and can now enjoy myself, and (to use a very old and tired cliche) can take the time to stop and smell the roses. Woohoo! :D

I started my first thread on this forum a couple of months ago, and was weighing the pros and cons of early retirement. Well, I made my decision, and tomorrow (Friday, April 17th), is my last day at work. I'm on leave for 2 weeks, and will be officially retired on May 1st. I'm excited, scared, a little sad, and a LOT happy! I never thought I would really get here, and while it certainly is a milestone and sort of a sobering reminder that I'm reaching my senior years, I'm also really feeling like it's a new beginning; a rebirth. I'm finally at a point where I can reset my priorities, and start enjoying my life. Instead of feeling like I'm striving toward something, I can feel more like I'm there; I've reached my career goals, and can now enjoy myself, and (to use a very old and tired cliche) can take the time to stop and smell the roses. Woohoo! :D

It will grow on you.

Welcome to the club.

Congrats to you! :D I'm a little tired right now, so I'll let this little guy dance a jig.......:dance:

Congratulations Janet. There is a real feeling of liberation in your post. I'm with you- eventually one comes to the conclusion that it is time to uncork the good wine.

ha

Wade on in at your leisure. The waters fine and many will share their floaties if you need them! When the waves get rough just float!

To quote the IHOP commercial I just watched on TV

"Time to say: Hey Clock! You're not the boss of me."

Congratulations! From now on every day is Saturday!

-- Rita

Instead of feeling like I'm striving toward something...

Congrats! Some folks just aren't happy unless they're striving toward something, and I'm one of them. The nice thing is being able to set my own goals and timetables. Enjoy! :greetings10:

You picked a great time of year to retire. I'm in Northern Virginia, so not very far from your neighborhood. This area is beautiful this time of year and there's so much to do! Enjoy:flowers:

Congratulations on your early retirement (eff 5-1-09). My official date of retirement was also 5-1, but it was 1988. Can't believe I've been retired almost 21 years. I was 52 at the time and have never regretted it one bit. The older you become the happier you will be having retired when you did. Time flies so fast. Anyway, enjoy yourself and stay busy.

Congrats. Jan 1, 1993 here.

Ya watch that -doing nothing in particular all day. Time seems to move fast.

heh heh heh - enjoy. :cool:

Yeah, but but, but whatcha gonna do all day?

I've been practicing retirement for about three years, well almost four, but who is counting.

Congrats.

Reading most of the posts on this forum you can get the impression that retirement is one happy day after another.Its not the case for every one,a few of us have a hard time dealing with endless days of doing nothing or trading in a good paying job to just get stuck with doing double duty on all the household chores, be ready when you retire to have a whole lot of free time,most like it some dont.

Thanks for the advice, the encouragment, and the cautions. I know I can learn from those who have already experienced this transition. Right now I'm feeling really good! I have so many plans, and so much I want to be able to do, and now have the time to do it. Time - what a luxury! So far in my life, I've never seemed to have enough. I think it may be a challenge to balance the extremes of either having too much time on my hands or not enough. Maybe that is the key to being content going forward. Right now, I'm just psyched about my future, and I already feel less stressed.

Hi janetvj...congratulations!. I plan to retire by Sept of this year. Looking forward to lots of traveling. I was just curious...what is your approximate age? I am guessing you are an early retiree.

Hi janetvj...congratulations!. I plan to retire by Sept of this year. Looking forward to lots of traveling. I was just curious...what is your approximate age? I am guessing you are an early retiree.

Good luck to you lightwaves! I will be 54 in May, so yes, I'm an early retiree based on my age, but I have well over 30 years of service with state goverment, so I'm not really considered to be an early retiree based on the terms of my employment. It's 30 and out without regard to age. Which was another factor in making my decision. Since my pension is slightly less than half of what my salary is, in reality I was doing that job for half pay, as I would be paid the other half simply by waking up each day.

From someone who retired 1 1/2 years ago, I think you will love it! No regrets here!

Bucfan here (city-data.com) - congrats. Completing your first weekend where you don't have to wake up on Monday and face another duty day. I'm 72 days out. Still seems like an eternity.

Your post does show you that you have a balanced approach as to what to expect from retirement and you sound pretty excited and satisfied with this move. I think you'll do fine. Congrats!!! It's a brave move and a new chapter to enjoy life in a different way. I know I'm not there yet mentally as a long week-end pretending to be retired and staying busy still makes me restless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom