Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2021, 10:12 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
There is a lot of job vilification in the work world. .
You mean---"j*b" and "in the w*rk world".

Oh, I guess that was your point about vilification!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
You mean---"j*b" and "in the w*rk world".

Oh, I guess that was your point about vilification!
J*b vilification looms large in our legend here at the FIRE forums.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #23

What's in it for DH? Would you be picking up some of his household duties to make more free time for both of you on weekends? Sometimes have dinner on the table when he gets home? You could throw these things into discussions about you retiring, along with the financial and emotional issues you've described.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
^^^^^ This - 100%
+1
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Wow tough spot. I have to ask: Is ER something you and your DH have planned together and often discussed? If not, and you are coming to it on your own because, clearly, you can well afford to, that's trickier. DH and I were talking about retiring early while picking out wedding invitations.

I'd come at it from the standpoint that you fully support him continuing his career, and find a way to highlight benefits for him: You'll be less stressed, ie, happier to come home to. And 5 years will probably make no difference in your financial situation at 70, 80, or 102.

If none of that works, it's because he's not sure how to articulate what his real objection is, which may be more of a deep seated insecurity about income stopping, regardless of the impact to your joint bottom line. And I think you know that 5 years won't be the end if you did stay working, that's just a movable goal post. But it's telling he didn't open with something shorter...

Yes, counseling, joint best, but possibly solo for him particularly since you mention his prior depression. I'd probably say you'll give it to the end of the year, so he has a little time to adjust.

I don't envy you, I'm sure you realize this could become a real chasm for your marriage. Keep us posted.
This comment made me think of this poster from the 50’s.

https://i.etsystatic.com/5891259/r/i...91617_mhyp.jpg
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #26

Good for you, OP, living your life and not that of Megacorp’s or even DH’s.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim59 View Post

FYI, that's a hoax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Wife%27s_Guide

Quote:
Investigations found this to be a hoax. .... However, there was no magazine called Housekeeping Monthly;
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim59 View Post

Oh yeah, 50s mentality: Stand by your man! Even if he neglects or mistreats you, because you and your children are completely financially dependent on him.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm one to post to this thread, as I'm in a situation with a reluctant spouse as well.

However, this week I found out that two people that had quit (one took an ER package), after taking time off to travel and just hangout, started adventure 2.0 in their lives. Perhaps the solution in your case is a new part time endeavor for your other half, such as volunteer work or even a job. One of the people I mentioned are now running a BnB with fantastic, creative breakfasts (too much work, imho) and the other is doing part time, low stress work on a contract basis (with good pay).
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote