to RE or not to RE, that is the question

What should I do?

• Sell stock and RE now on $1.1M

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Hold stock and RE now on whatever it turns into

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Wait for $1.6M

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Other (post a reply with your recommendation!)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you have "capital" items worked into your budget? Home repairs, replacement cars, lawn mowers, tires, new furnace, water heater, etc?

How about a handle on miscellaneous small expenses?

I havent looked at my budget in a while, but I think I was running about 8k a year just for those items...

Oh yes, those are all covered in the budget based on my actual expenses over the past 10 years plus a reasonable margin (and of course my budget also has an annual 3% COLA increase built in). Plus there's a $5K "Unexpected Expenses" bucket for the unanticipated. The problem with health insurance is that I've never bought it, so I have no basis for estimating the real cost (other than the quotes on ehealthinsurance.com, which could have additional hidden charges which would hike up the annual cost). That's why I was wondering what people are actually paying.

Don't blow it now

I can't tell you what you should do with respect to YOUR retirement. I'm one year younger than you and have about the same net worth. I am going to work a few more years because after coming this far I don't want to just get by...and you didn't mention a provision for health care.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that the NPV of keeping the stock is negative: asuming equal probabilities of a payoff of $1.6 mill or $0.00 the NPV is $800K...or a probable loss of $300K. Sell now. You've won the war already, you just have a little mopping up operation to do. Don't blow it now.

Back
Top Bottom