Join Early Retirement Today

Today's the day
Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's the day

Today was my last day of full time work. I'm 43, and DW and I have opted for a lifestyle change that means we should have sufficient funds to travel and support ourselves indefinitely.

My investing experience is such that I don't post much here - very much a learner at this stage. But I want to sincerely thank those that impart their wisdom and experience on this forum. Your 'guidance' through your posts has given us the confidence to self manage our money and consequently chase the life we desire.

I'm sure there are many like me who lurk about most days without posting much. Just wanted to pop my head up again to say thank you.
Sparkie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

Please pop back in from time to time to tell us how it is going.....and what you do all day.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! Never stop learning and unlearning!
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. Perfect timing...as your first Monday in ER is a non-work day called Labor Day . Did you plan it that way, or did that just happen by chance?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

Congrats! Will you be RVing as you previously mentioned?
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Are you still at work? I hope you can go home early if you haven't already.

Enjoy the moment.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Awesome to read this great news from down under! Congratulations - enjoy this day and all those to come!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for all your good wishes. No Labor day Downunder today, but I was a shift worker, so days of the week didn't exist for me anyway!

The RV thing is a goer. I've bought a Mercedes (Dodge?) Sprinter which I'm currently converting - love a good project. I'll be heading off in a couple of months hopefully. Can't wait
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie67 View Post
Thank you for all your good wishes. No Labor day Downunder today, but I was a shift worker, so days of the week didn't exist for me anyway!

The RV thing is a goer. I've bought a Mercedes (Dodge?) Sprinter which I'm currently converting - love a good project. I'll be heading off in a couple of months hopefully. Can't wait
I remember the great time I had in the 70's traveling in a VW van I had converted. The last few years I have thought of converting a Sprinter too. Their fuel milage and larger size makes them ideal. Sure would like to see pics and hear about your plan.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #10

Congratulations! I hope your last day was a good one and you enjoy your future adventures in FIRE.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #11

Congrats! Please let us know from time to time how it works out for you.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to set up a blog thing of the van conversion (and some travels) so when its done I'll stick the address in my signature.

I'm sure I'll be back posting here in a few months. I'm 'all cash' at the moment (two thirds of which comes up around the new year). Its compounding at 6% at the moment, but I'll need to do something more long term if the rates drop here in the meantime. I'm sure I'll need some opinions....
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I remember the great time I had in the 70's traveling in a VW van I had converted. The last few years I have thought of converting a Sprinter too. Their fuel milage and larger size makes them ideal. Sure would like to see pics and hear about your plan.

Cheers!
When I was 20 I converted a 1966 Econoline to a camper and did one lap of America. Did it again on a 1973 Econoline and did one lap of Michigan to Alaska via Yellowknife, then on to Florida then back to Michigan. Lots of fun doing the conversion and then using it daily.

A Sprinter would be an awesome starting point, though I always lusted after a Chevy Step Van.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie67 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm hoping to set up a blog thing of the van conversion (and some travels) so when its done I'll stick the address in my signature.
We'd love to hear about it! But please stick the URL in your profile, not your signature, since our Community Rules say no links in signatures. Thanks!

And again, I am SO happy for you. Just reading your post brought back the joy of that last day of work.... forever!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We'd love to hear about it! But please stick the URL in your profile, not your signature, since our Community Rules say no links in signatures. Thanks!

And again, I am SO happy for you. Just reading your post brought back the joy of that last day of work.... forever!
Ahh, will do. And thank you so much for your wishes
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Yahoo! How does it feel?
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
Yahoo! How does it feel?
In a word, odd! I used to get a months holiday, 3 times a year, so at the moment it just seems like one of them. But I know it isn't. The nicest part is having no timeline. At all. I get up, and do what i want. For as long as I want. And that feels great
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #18

Congrats Sparkie. I'm sure the smile on your dial stretches from ear to ear at the moment.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

congrats!! Im watching in anticipation....Ill be able to say it in 5 months.......
fwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was 20 I converted a 1966 Econoline to a camper and did one lap of America. Did it again on a 1973 Econoline and did one lap of Michigan to Alaska via Yellowknife, then on to Florida then back to Michigan. Lots of fun doing the conversion and then using it daily.

A Sprinter would be an awesome starting point, though I always lusted after a Chevy Step Van.
The hippies' move-up option. "We're taking it easy, we're taking it slow....

Ha