Join Early Retirement Today

Tomorrow is the Day!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Tomorrow is the Day!

Greetings All,
DW has been monitoring this site for some time and has performed much of the leg work to make sure we have the goods to finally take the plunge. From my handle, I enjoy reading e-books, all aspects of wine (tasting, touring, exploring, drinking, enjoying) and plan to spend more time tinkering around the house and with my Harley and my scooter.

I am 50 years old and tomorrow is the day I turn in my notice, with my last day scheduled for the end of July. Like many of the posters here, I am tired of the rat race, caring about stop light charts and metrics. We have secured our new health care coverage and are looking forward to life after work.

4 more years would have had me eligible for limited pension benefits, but the contnued stress and the aggravation, just don't justify the modest benefits. We have not received any huge stock option that we are able to cashout, but have lived frugally and saved religiously. We still have three more years to fund only child through college, but have squirreled enough away for this as well.

So tomorrow starts a new path on a road not yet travelled. I am sure there are blind corners and bumps ahead, but the wind in your face and the sights and smells of the open road make it a journey worth taking.

So please be kind to the newbie as we embark on this road and I look forward to posting such scintillating exploits as what I did today (nap, went to Buckies, worked out, NOTHING - because I can!)

NookWine&Tinker aka NookWine-n-Tinker
NookWine-n-Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on being the newest slacker of the forum.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Dawg,
Happy to join this merry band. If they had a reality show called Extreme Slacking, I would be in the audition line. Maybe we could issue a scarlet R for those who boldy go ....

Nook
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NookWine-n-Tinker View Post
I am 50 years old and tomorrow is the day I turn in my notice, with my last day scheduled for the end of July. Like many of the posters here, I am tired of the rat race, caring about stop light charts and metrics.
LOL My DH talks about stop light charts and metrics all the time. He can't wait to FIRE in early 2012. He is definitely ready to get out of the rat race too.

Congrats!!
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am 50 years old and tomorrow is the day I turn in my notice, with my last day scheduled for the end of July.
Congrats and welcome aboard! Care to add yourself to this thread, you're only eligible once? http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-53912-13.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome to slackers anonymous !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations on your ER. I hope that you and your family will be very happy and find life much more enjoyable.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thabks 2 All
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thabks 2 All

Thanks 2 all for the words of encouragement. I hope to be worthy of this forum.

Congrats 2 U MidPack as you are beating my date by a month.

Rock on Class of 2011

NooK
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats and thanks for the post.
DW and I have not yet achieved FIRE, but it is encouraging to me to read about your starting your next phase in 2011.
I hope to follow in 2012.

Enjoy!
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #10

Congratulations! I hope the last few weeks of work go smoothly, and your final exit from your work place is as exciting as it deserves to be.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I predict July 2011 is your most enjoyable month at your job! Congrats.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats Nook! I think that starting tomorrow getting up to go to w*rk won't be quite so distressing.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

CONGRATS! You deserve it!
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks to all for the well wishes and the encouragement. Things at work are still pretty quiet as I have not spread the word save for a few close friends. We have a "normal" retiree leaving the end of this week, and I do not want to detract from his event. A nice lunch on Thursday to send him on his merry way. He hopes to pursue his photography and maybe turn it into another career. That is really to be admired when you can retire fronm the job and pursue what really interests you. Note to self, How do I make a career after FIRE from imbibing wine, smoking cigars and riding a Harley (not all at the same time mind you).

My boss's boss is coming into town on Friday to take him and his Dept out to lunch to celebrate his 30 years with megacorp. Another person in our Dept will probably learn of my imminent departure and with that the word will travel. I feel for him as he has the time and years to pull the plug and be able to acually collect a pension, but still must work due to kids in college and the mortgage on the house on the golf course. Poor bastard!

After this week, only 4 weeks left, and next week is only 3 days. Sweet.

DW and I have started to ease into life after FIRE by walking a local creek trail or making the jaunt to the local Starbucks. Can hardly wait for the day when I can go to sleep with no work worries and no time to be up an at 'em.

Stay tuned as I navigate toward the exit!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #15

Sounds like you might enjoy doing something I've done since I retired. I got "meetinged out" during the last 10 years or so of my working career. Since retirement, I've gotten involved in a few volunteer activities. Inevitably, after I've been involved with an organization for a while, they invite me to attend their staff meetings. My answer is always, "Thanks anyway, but I don't do meetings any more."

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Go Nook! What happy news!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #17

Golly gee, I am so jealous [still hoping I can join you in 2012, but alas I fear it might leak into 2013...]. Congrats.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I predict July 2011 is your most enjoyable month at your job! Congrats.
Or the longest ever

Quote:
Note to self, How do I make a career after FIRE from imbibing wine, smoking cigars and riding a Harley (not all at the same time mind you).
Congrats and welcome! I'm more of a beer, cigar and Jeep guy, but close enough. I've managed to do it, I'm sure you can to.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #19

Nook, congrats!

I was in your position and decided a few months ago to step out in faith and confidence. So far, have not regretted it at all.

I worked in the Silicon Valley High Tech industry ( Santa Clara, CA ) for many years so I know firsthand how incredibly stressful it can be.

You will enjoy your retirement - so welcome from a fellow newbie in the forum!
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Coolius et al,
Thanks for the continued kind words and in the words of Bruce Willis from the the original "Die Hard", Welcome to the party, pal! I saw your posts in this thread and in the clas of 2011. I am right near your old stomping grounds as I can hear the screams from Great America form the paking lot.

Said goodbye to a dear friend today who is going out on STD and won't return until after I am gonzo. Kind of made the reality sink in a little deeper.

Definitely looking forward to warmer weather (we had two day of more like fall/winter here) more quality time int he saddle (on the bike that is ) and a stress free existence.

5 weeks - but who's counting? ME Thats's who!