Join Early Retirement Today

Turning 55 in May and pondering about retiring at the end of July / 2017
Old 04-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via Yahoo to gladiator280
Turning 55 in May and pondering about retiring at the end of July / 2017

For years I couldn't wait ! Now that I am at the front door step , I am hesitating to pull the trigger .
Why ? Because I have no retirement plan and I don't think I will ever have one unless I retire .

But for now I have cold feet . Is this normal ? I read about the 6 stages of retirement . Truthfully I would like to relax and travel for a year but after that I wouldn't mind getting a job and getting back into it . What I am afraid of is that no matter how reliable or dependable I am , no one really wants to hire a 55 year old . Am I being foolish in this day and age when everyone seems to be retiring ? And there is a shortage of workers ?

Robert
gladiator280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the board, Gladiator!
Have you considered asking for a year of unpaid leave of absence from your job? May be out of the question, but depending on what line of work you are in, perhaps it is possible?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. I've said it many times: you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to. This is your case. There are many things you can do, travel is certainly one of them. There is also nothing wrong with working if you want to, maybe take a job doing something you enjoy, for the experience more than the money since you already have that covered.

Speaking of that, I assume you have some idea of your expenses and what your income will be? That is the first req't to determine if you are able to retire.

You might be in a good position to do some contract work. I do agree that it seems tougher to get a new job once in your mid 50's and beyond. Age discrimination does exist at some places. But with your skills and experience, contract work is a great way to work some, but then maintain flexibility.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Welcome to the board, Gladiator!
Have you considered asking for a year of unpaid leave of absence from your job? May be out of the question, but depending on what line of work you are in, perhaps it is possible?

Great idea ! However ; my company may not grant it but u never know . Now that I am thinking about it , I would be giving up a year's pension payments.

Robert
Old 04-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Hi Robert, welcome to the forum. I've said it many times: you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to. This is your case. There are many things you can do, travel is certainly one of them. There is also nothing wrong with working if you want to, maybe take a job doing something you enjoy, for the experience more than the money since you already have that covered.

Speaking of that, I assume you have some idea of your expenses and what your income will be? That is the first req't to determine if you are able to retire.

You might be in a good position to do some contract work. I do agree that it seems tougher to get a new job once in your mid 50's and beyond. Age discrimination does exist at some places. But with your skills and experience, contract work is a great way to work some, but then maintain flexibility.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Financially I have it covered . I can't go around throwing money away but am comfortable and worry free .

Robert
Old 04-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #6

One of the things to reckon with is what else are you giving up (besides a paycheck) when you leave your job and retire.

If you have a strong social network at the office, and define yourself by your career, don't have any sense of dread on Sunday evenings, you may have a harder time adjusting to ER. If you won the lottery would you still have the same cold feet?

If however, you have a robust life outside of work, with family, friends, hobbies and a sense of who you are that doesn't much include your title, it will be easier.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

A new perspective of looking at retirement . Thank you .

I am starting to think I am a wiss. I have decided to hang in a little longer . The good thing is that I can leave with very short notice with an unreduced pension at any time from July 17 / 17 onwards . So I don't know why I am pondering so hard . I am just going to relax on the idea of retiring . I know I will do it soon so I am just going to take it easy .
Old 04-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might consider taking the month of August off to try retirement out.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
You might consider taking the month of August off to try retirement out.

I have taken a month off as vacation before . It goes by quick and I have kept myself busy . I wAs more afraid after one year what it would be like when no one wants to hire a 56 year old .

I am very healthy and by no means obese . I come from a great
Genetic pool plagued with no health issues . My great grandparents lived well into their 90 's.

So I guess I can always do my own thing . I come from a family of labourers .
Old 04-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

my retirement office was on the 19th floor, when the elevator got there i could not get out, i pressed the button to go back down, when i returned to my work pals they said that was fast, i said i didnt do it, the next day an old pal from work rode up with me and held my hand as i put in my papers. they all said there is life out there besides this, so yes cold feet for me was an understatement. good luck with what ever you choose to do
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW - I was FI and planned to retire at 55 when I reach full retirement status with megacorp. When I got to 55, I looked at all the money I'd be leaving on the table so I decided I'd work another couple of years. When I got there I ended up staying another 3 years and finally retired at 60.

The extra money is nice, but as I've said many times on this board, I'd gladly give the money back I earned in my late 50's to have those years back to use in retirement.

My employer even told me I could come back to work after 6 months if I wanted. I didn't say no (left my options open, just in case) but I had no intentions of going back and never did. I got several consulting offers the first year too from other companies but never really considered those either. I guess I was really ready to go.

To be honest, the extra money isn't going to do me any good but those extra years would. YMMV
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

You're not alone. Sort of going through the same things. One day feel like I just have to get out and the next day think "I can do this awhile longer while the money keeps accumulating".
Then I read Car-Guy's post....
TGL405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #13

It doesn't have to be black and white...fully retire, or work more years.

I agree with suggestions to take a year off-no parachute, just walk away. Clear your head, travel, get used to life without alarms.

You can always work. Maybe not making as much $ as you do now, but you can always work. The secret is: you no longer need as much money as you are now earning. Perhaps never work again-OK. Maybe work for less or only PT at something you will really enjoy-also OK. Look at the options.

I have a friend who "retired" to FL and drove a shuttle bus for an upscale resort for about 3 years, very part time, and he loved it. BUT, after about 3 years, he considered even that job a hassle, so he quit and never worked again. But the security of having some little job waiting was very important to him when he pulled the trigger on retirement. To each his own....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #14

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've reached my financial goal early, but didn't plant to retire before age 55-1/2, which I'll be at the end of the year. But I can already feel myself getting cold feet, O MY, One More Year syndrome! It's mostly the healthcare thing that's making me nervous. So I'll probably hang in there a little past 55-1/2, but will take some extra vacation days, unpaid, if I can swing it at work.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes I keep thinking about it every day and am feeling like I am going mad . It must not be my time or I would know it. However; I feel like it's a calling . I must go . I really don't know what is wrong with me . I will be pensioned off.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

The extra money is nice, but as I've said many times on this board, I'd gladly give the money back I earned in my late 50's to have those years back to use in retirement.

To be honest, the extra money isn't going to do me any good but those extra years would. YMMV
This. (which is nicely embodied on a "time > Money" tombstone cartoon that pops up here regularly).

Easier for us, as DW has sufficient retirement plans to take us from our 50s to our 70s and beyond. But don't wait too long to put together your expectations for retirement years--they won't last forever and it would be a shame to waste the years of preparation that you've done.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sound advice as like many other posts . I am glad I
Joined this forum
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 55 and half .. same thing here I have already told them I am out this year at birthday. But I am worried too, large salary, do I have enough firecalc says yeah....plan on working part time with my sons Business once I am gone.
Walking away after 31 years is hard no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator280 View Post
Yes I keep thinking about it every day and am feeling like I am going mad . It must not be my time or I would know it. However; I feel like it's a calling . I must go . I really don't know what is wrong with me . I will be pensioned off.
This is my 2 cents and it may be worth exactly that. Your quote above sounds like your gut is telling you it is time, but your head is making you question it. Trust your gut.
rjsob58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm FIREing in June at 55 and my perspective is that I'm not looking at the future as a linear path. My intention is to start doing what I've wanted to do for years and that will require me getting some additional education. It's not a 2nd career, it's just something different and hopefully personally fulfilling.

Consider combining travel with a purpose - archeology, environmental, etc. You never know, maybe something will trigger you into an area of interest that you never realized you had.

Regardless, maybe not look at retirement as a linear path which at the end is... well, the end.