Join Early Retirement Today

Turning 64 This Year and Running Scared!!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Turning 64 This Year and Running Scared!!

Just joined this forum in the hopes of learning more about retirement.
I am in So Cal right now but planning on retiring in Nevada.

I would like to retire at 66 but when reality sinks in I worry about whether I have enough savings. I also am concerned if I would enjoy not working. I really do not have any hobbies so not sure how this will work out.

I guess I will see how I feel when I reach 66 and then take it a week at a time.
jet757f is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. Many here will suggest you retire to "something". You have some time to figure that out. If you have any specific questions about your finances, this group can provide good cheap advice/opinions that might help with your planning.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. The Frequently Asked Questions section is a nice place to start.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to our wonderful site. If you wish to share any finance information, there are lots of experts (not me lol) who can provide some specific advice on some possibilities of actionable items.
On a personal note, even though I liked my job, when I retired I did not miss most aspects of the job.
The water is fine on this side. Eventually jump in.....
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a post that we often share with newcomers. It discusses financial questions that you may want to explore in order to determine if you are able to retire yet.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

Personally I didn't have any hobbies either and was kind of worried about that when I retired. I wrote down a list of things I would like to spend more time doing after retirement (like, growing roses, learning Spanish, and so on). After retirement I didn't actually do any of those things, but it was nice to have the list just in case.

When I was working, I really enjoyed the free time that I had on the weekends after the grocery shopping and laundry were done. It turned out that for me, retirement was sort of like an endless weekend. Others disagree but I just have no problem enjoying all this free time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I would like to retire at 66 but when reality sinks in I worry about whether I have enough savings. I also am concerned if I would enjoy not working. I really do not have any hobbies so not sure how this will work out.
Perfectly normal thoughts. But you have two years to figure it out!

Read a little more and you'll learn what others have done. Then you can ask more questions if you like.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

Remember retired is 6 Saturdays and one Sunday a week !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You will love Nevada. I didn’t have hobbies either but then a p.t. Job fell into my lap that I love. We are also doing a lot of traveling.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the club! Many of us run scared into retirement. But retirement gets better as you settle in. Soon you will be like the rest of us enjoying the best years of your life.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #10

Glad you found this excellent forum!

My DH, who retired two years ago at 57, keeps a list of things to do that he can put off until tomorrow. That seems to keep him busy enough.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations in finding this forum. You will find a vast knowledge of wealth in this place. It has helped me immensely, financially and mentally.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
You will love Nevada. I didn’t have hobbies either but then a p.t. Job fell into my lap that I love. We are also doing a lot of traveling.
Already spend a lot of time there. Have a house there and so far like it a lot.

Ca get worse every year. There is really no reason to stay here.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

Congrats and welcome to the board. My buddy pointed to the forum several years ago, and I have learned (and laughed) from the others.

If you are thinking of Northern Nevada, there are tons of outdoor activities to keep you busy all year long, from the Tahoe and Donner when weather is nice to winter sports the other 1/2 of the year and then hunting and fishing and hiking in spring and fall.
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! Enjoy your time on this site and keep it in perspective. Everything in it’s time and at 64 it sounds like you’re preparing. DH and I are from SoCal. As you already have a home here you know the +-. It’s the same way with retirement. Keep the good in life and out with the bad. Have fun
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome Aboard,

I'm a little over 6 months into retirement and have found a happy balance between freedom and feeling productive. After 3 months of feeling somewhat guilty (due to wife working,) I picked up a part time job which is less than three miles away. It's easy peasy and has enough flexibility that I am able to travel, workout, do retirement type things, and have absolutely no stress. In essence, it just keeps me engaged. No stresses over here. We have three five day trips during the 2nd half of the year and a ten day cruise on January 2, 2019.

It is the best time of my life.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #17

it is different , DW will be retiring in a few weeks I have been retired for two years . It is funny just when you seem to be caught up on things you want to do a mass of other things come up . One thing I have learned is I used to have ONE Saturday and 5 work days . Now I have 5 Saturdays so we all learn ...Have fun.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote