Join Early Retirement Today

Two Years In
Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two Years In

Two years ago today I walked out of the office for the last time. Can't believe it went by that quickly. Thanks to all on the forum for their help in easing the transition to FIRE. No other words of wisdom...just my heartfelt thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your two year retirement anniversary! Mine will be in November. I agree - - it's hard to believe how fast time has sped by.

Glad your transition went well. Mine did too, thank goodness.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

CONGRATS! I hope to be there one day.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at 2 yrs as well. And your right about time passing away. I've done a lot in the last two years, but the days seem to fly by. Sure wish things would slow down. Life is already too short.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Rocky,
Congrats on your second anniversery.
I have not yet reached the RE milestone. Can you tell me what you have found remarkable in the past two years? What was unexpected?
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Probably most remarkable is that I don't miss w*rk at all. After thirty years I was concerned that I would possibly be bored, not motivated and missing the relationships that I had in my business. That has not been the case. I have found other things to challenge me mentally and physically and new friendships outside of the office.

Most unexpected was how busy I find myself. No day seems void of something to do or somewhere to go. Don't know how I ever got to some of this stuff while still employed! Guess most of it I just didn't.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats RockyMtn!!!

Can you let us know what's occupying your time during your days?
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rocky, I will reach 3 years this November. Yes, the time has flown by very fast. I don't miss working or the awful commute (especially) the most. I had been working part-time for the last 7 years of my career so it was an easy transition from working 1, 2, or 3 days a week to zero. Work had become a nuisance to fit into my nonwork week because many of my activities were midday weekdays. And the commute made most evening going-out activities impossible.

But not any more......
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Congrats RockyMtn!!!

Can you let us know what's occupying your time during your days?
I am much more active in managing my investments which in the past I had little time to do a decent job of.

I have undertaken several home improvement projects (new laundry room floor, garden remake, some painting, etc.

I have a rental property which I know manage myself. In the past I had a property management firm handle it.

Play lots of golf (4-5 times a week when weather permits). Always walk and schlep my clubs on my back. Pretty good workout here at altitude. As of yesterday I have walked approx 1145 miles in the last two years.

Travel for pleasure at least once a month in the winter months in order to get my golf fix. Am teaching the GF to play golf...which requires more patience than I ever had to give to my employees!

I take on an occasional consulting job in my former industry to fund some of my adventures and keep me in vodka and golf balls!

I get tired just compiling all of this...time for a nap.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching CBS Evening News. They just did a story on all the unemployment at NASA now that the Shuttle Program is being canceled. Mostly 40 and 50-something year olds who are having a lot of difficulties finding new work. In light of the overall unemployment rates and these kinds of stories (NASA), it makes one very appreciative/thankful when you can say that you have a comfortable retirement (at your own choosing). Unfortunately though, I think the times will get worse for millions. There really seems to be a dichotomy of the haves and the have-nots when it comes to work/retirement.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #11

Retired from NASA in March 08. Saw it coming. Lucky to have 35 years in, but no surprise to anyone watching the budget. NASA is in the discretionary part of the Fed budget. It will only get worse. Time to plan is pretty much over. Good luck and fair winds
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Very proud of the job NASA has been doing over the last 50 yrs - might be the greatest accomplishments made by our country.