Join Early Retirement Today

Two years in...How do you find the time?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Two years in...How do you find the time?

After retiring from the Chicago area to Upstate South Carolina, I am finding my time is at a premium. So much to do, so little time. At one time I thought I would be sitting on the porch watching birds, hoping, I wouldn't get bored. Was I wrong. Enjoying every minute!!
Brdofpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Hi Brdofpray, welcome to the forum. So, your time is at a premium, eh? Feels good, doesn't it?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I hope to be retiring to South Carolina in a few years as well.

Enjoy the outdoors, it's absolutely beautiful in that part of the country.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

When we settled in the upstate, we did not realize that there are over 80 + waterfalls in this area. We are trying to find them all. Life is very good!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are you doing that is keeping you so busy? It sounds like you are doing a lot of hiking.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #6

I have never been to SC but have heard many good things about it. Enjoy, Brdofpray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Enjoying every minute!!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The upstate is right at the foot of the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Beautiful mountain and lake views. There is a 77 mile trail connecting two state parks through this entire area. I am involved in a volunteer group that manages this trail, when DW and I aren't hiking on it. I took a South Carolina Master Naturalist course last fall, now I am leading bird hikes, and general nature hikes for various groups. There is work on our new house, I couldn't say no to our Home Owners Association (long story), and keeping up with many new friends with similar interests.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The upstate is right at the foot of the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Beautiful mountain and lake views. There is a 77 mile trail connecting two state parks through this entire area. I am involved in a volunteer group that manages this trail, when DW and I aren't hiking on it. I took a South Carolina Master Naturalist course last fall, now I am leading bird hikes, and general nature hikes for various groups. There is work on our new house, I couldn't say no to our Home Owners Association (long story), and keeping up with many new friends with similar interests.
Sounds like our retirement. If you like the out-of-doors, there is always a lot to get involved in and you meet a lot of people with similar interests. Who was ever worried about losing a "social network" when leaving work? I wasn't. If you go out and do the things you enjoy, you plug into a whole other social network and it's so refreshing to make connections with people which aren't work related.

Audrey
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After retiring from the Chicago area to Upstate South Carolina, I am finding my time is at a premium. So much to do, so little time. At one time I thought I would be sitting on the porch watching birds, hoping, I wouldn't get bored. Was I wrong. Enjoying every minute!!
But.... but.... but.... what about all those folks who warned you, "what are you going to do with all that idle time?"
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
The Master Naturalist program sounds right up my alley. I wonder if they do that near me?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sounds like our retirement. If you like the out-of-doors, there is always a lot to get involved in and you meet a lot of people with similar interests. Who was ever worried about losing a "social network" when leaving work? I wasn't. If you go out and do the things you enjoy, you plug into a whole other social network and it's so refreshing to make connections with people which aren't work related.

Audrey
Audrey do you ever miss your old social network?
Popster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
I'm not Audrey but I can answer. All my old social network wanted to talk about was work and job. I always told my kids they should associate with people that shared similar goals. When I started doing the same, the old network quickly became the ex-network.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Uh - no. (actually, I didn't even need to think that long)

But, actually, I had already built a social network outside of work, and I minimized socializing with co-workers anyway. So when I retired, I still had my personal social network until I left town 5 years later (by which time I had already started building a new one).

Audrey
Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

From my perspective, between the new neighborhood activities, and my Upstate Naturalist group, I have a stronger connection to the people here than I had after 30 years in my working life. When I first FIRED, I felt my life was more relaxed. I had more time to get to know people without the hassle of a busy work life and the schedule that brings. My activities with others were not just regulated to weekends, but could happen at anytime through out the week.

My original post that started this thread, was actually a cautionary one. Be selective in what you get involved in. I jumped in with both feet, and after two years, I am finding my schedule starting to really fill up. While this is great on one hand, it also can defeat the purpose of FIREing, and taking a different path.

I will work on that.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The nice thing about being FIREd is that you can slow down anytime you want to. Or even change everything completely if you wish.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My original post that started this thread, was actually a cautionary one. Be selective in what you get involved in. I jumped in with both feet, and after two years, I am finding my schedule starting to really fill up. While this is great on one hand, it also can defeat the purpose of FIREing, and taking a different path.
I second that.

I've never understood the "But... but... but what will I do all day?!?" syndrome. I've never understood "losing your contact network" or becoming an isolated hermit rusting on the porch swing.

Before you get involved in something, think about your exit strategy.

I volunteered for a non-profit right after I retired. Within a year I was trapped in Treasurer. I stuck it out for three years, and I enjoyed doing the books & tax returns, but after that I firmly resigned. 10 months later the President "fired" my relief and begged me to get them through the end of the year. After a second round I was able to pull free.

Then I thought it'd be cool to write a book, and it was, but again I don't really have an exit strategy. I seem to have found an outlet for my writing, though, and I'll keep that going for another year or five to see where it leads.

But this ER stuff can suck every moment out of your life if you're not mindful of your time management.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Administrator

I'm one of those who volunteered for 3 months over the winter during the first year I retired.

A year later and I really did not want to be tied down again, but found it hard to turn down the requests. However, I decided that the last thing I needed was to be committed to a part time schedule, and having to skip some of the other new activities I had come to enjoy doing. I have no regrets at backing out after only one year, life is too short.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like this thread cause I daydream more time with people and venturing about.

If you find all those waterfalls and still want more venture further up into NC. We have some nice ones too My favorite overlook is the craggy dome.
project2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I'll be a "neighbor" by late March; we're moving to Belmont, NC - west of Charlotte and semi-retiring. My wife and I are both professionals and can work part time or project schedules for a while.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Uh - no. (actually, I didn't even need to think that long)

But, actually, I had already built a social network outside of work, and I minimized socializing with co-workers anyway. So when I retired, I still had my personal social network until I left town 5 years later (by which time I had already started building a new one).

Audrey
It sounds like you transitioned yourself gradually - building an existing group of people outside of work before retiring. This is something I never thought of. Thanks for this advice. I should do what you did before taking the plunge.

Right now, my days are work work work, and I maintain a "career driven" facade just to blend in. No one knows about my disenchantment with what I do, and my desire to retire.
Popster is offline   Reply With Quote