Umm... right place? Am 76, retired 23 years.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
So yeah... In '89, about to take on some bigtime debt to expand my own very small business, received cancer diagnosis, and after some agonizing nights, looked at a small savings a/c, decided not to leave my bride with a big debt, and together we embarked on the great adventure. Cancer cured, still here together, doing quite well (low budget)... 6 months in Illinois in a retirement community, 6 months in a senior mobile home park in Florida.

At age 53... making the decision was easier, thinking that if things didn't work out, I/we would have to go back to work... So far, we've dodged the poverty bullet. Feel comfortable, and no longer worry about money.

Gotta remember that when we retired, interest rates were as high as 8% to 10%. That helped in the early years. Though I follow the stock market, we have very little invested there. Most of our meager savings went into I bonds, that continue to pay 5% to 6%... Not very good, but better than nothin'. We own our homes... paid for from sale of our suburban home, in 1990.

The journey has been interesting, and I've kept a record of the things we've done to keep expenses down... and to keep ourselves ahead of the game. Hoping to #1 learn more, and #2 to share the little things we do to stay solvent.

Based on our experience, I believe that it's possible to retire on much, much less that what the planning worksheets come up with. Am a firm believer in using net worth to finance retirement.. ie. spending down based on life expectancy, rather than keeping it for the inheritance.

:greetings10:

Welcome aboard, imoldernu. You are certainly in the right place. I look forward to hearing more about your ideas for staying solvent. It's certainly a perennial interest of mine.

Welcome!

We have so few members that have ER'd over two decades ago, so your experiences will be great learning for us. There seem to be experts on just about every aspect of retirement on this board, so hopefully, you will find value here.

Welcome again.

Welcome to early-retirement.org!

You have an interesting story and will find many kindred spirits here. I am curious as to the types of things you have done to keep expenses down as you will find a lot of LBYMer's here.

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find this forum entertaining and enlightening. I am also long time retiree, having taken the plunge in 1988 at age 51. Just passed my 24th year of retirement and have enjoyed every day of it. Again, welcome and good luck for a great future.

Welcome imoldernu. We need more examples of successful long-term early retirees like yourself around here.

+1 !!

I'm so afraid of retiring too young and running out of money. Its great to hear from someone who did it with less than the planners would tell us. I look forward to your posts and hope they give me the confidence I need.

Welcome imoldernu. We need more examples of successful long-term early retirees like yourself around here.
The learning curve from the unsuccessful ones has flattened out pretty quickly...

While researching and reading RVer's blogs to find interesting places to visit, I happen to find plenty of examples of early retirees or semi-retirees who seem to do fine on not much money. This lifestyle was previously unknown to me.

Of course if one does not like the idea of a house that has wheels under it, then these stories would not apply. But if one even loves the idea of a vagabond lifestyle, he can have a time of his life.

Welcome, we're glad to have you. Please do share some of your experiences. In 1989, I was in elementary school. :LOL:

Welcome, It is nice to have someone with years of retirement experience to share some experiences. I just retired in September.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Since joining "Early Retirement" about a week ago, I have spent some time "digging in" to the wisdom here.
Especially impressed with the friendliness of the members.. (not always the case in some forums. )
Have put in my own two cents worth on this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

Now, back to reading through 945,000 posts. :LOL:

Sounds like you'll need another 23 years of retirement to get through that much reading. I hope you have a fast internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom