Unplanned retirement @ 63; came for the Medicare info

CrazyHamsterLady

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi, all! Joined a few days ago, and just getting around to my intro.

My 93 year old mother died April 2018, leaving my socially inept and domestically challenged father, now pushing 96, alone in Houston. Fortunately, he's in "independent living," so there's help there. But I couldn't keep jetting back & forth to Houston from Western New York, plus "long distance concierge" by phone, with a fulltime job (college prof). Plus I'm dealing with my spousal equivalent who tried to commit suicide last year, and has ongoing mental health issues. ("Equivalent" because we are of the rainbow persuasion and couldn't marry for a long time; but also because she receives disability benefits and legal marriage would require me to support her until I spent down all my assets to nothing.)

My college offered a one-year salary incentive buy-out. So I'm coasting on that + teaching one course a semester + some non-retirement savings for 2 years, before tapping into Social Security and retirement accounts (just south of $1M right now). It won't be a cushy retirement, but I've always lived below my means. No kids, mortgage paid, cheap cost of living in my area (despite NY taxes). I have a TIAA (teacher retirement plan) advisor who said I'm good to go until my mid 90s, after which I throw myself on the mercy of the federal government. (Given my genetics, that's a real possibility!)

Interests: (1) Someone on Reddit suggested I come here for Medicare info; just turned 64, and want to be able to make informed decisions. Current health insurance is continuation through former employer, at exorbitant premium prices. (2) I also see an investing forum, which I'm very much interested in. Will likely inherit a stock portfolio; sadly, my mother's stock-picking savvy (which dated back to the era when stock quotes were expressed as eighths of a point, rather than decimals) was based on well-informed intuition, and went to the grave with her. (3) Probably in 20-odd-years, will be looking to relocate to some kind of old folks home.

So--thanks, and appreciate the existence of this forum! :greetings10:

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've had a rough go as of late. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I hope things start looking up for you. Are you enjoying not working?

As for your questions, I suggest scrolling to the top and type MEDICARE in the search box. It will search just this forum. Scan the results for the most recent posts and that will give you an idea of the kinds of discussions we have. Traditional supplements vs. Medicare Advantage seems to be a big topic of discussion around here. Don't hesitate to start a post if you still have questions specific to your situation. If you have healthcare through your former employer until you're 65, you're in good shape. Even if it is expensive, chances are the coverage is better than what' you'd get through ACA.

Again, welcome to the forum and I look forward to reading your posts!

Last edited:
Welcome. Are your questions on Medicare which you are 1 years away from or on health insurance? When I retired I found that the individual health insurance market was a lot more affordable than COBRA from my former employer. In fact, what we pay today for health insurance is less than what my COBRA would have been in 2012.

Also, NY is one of the few states that does not age-rate individual health insurance (VT is another). There is a feature of ACA where if the cost of the second-lowest cost bronze plan is more than 8.16% of your income that you can buy catastrophic health insurance which is priced for people under 30. While in most states there is not much of a benefit because of age rating, in VT there is a clear benefit and I suspect that there might be in NY.

There is a bit of bureaucratic hassle to apply and get acepted, but it has been well worth it for us... given that you have a shorter time horizon to Medicare it might not be worth the hassle.

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear you are going through a very rough patch. I hope with the extra time you have now that you will be able to do some things for yourself so you don't burn out and end up with your own health issues (been there, done that also)

Thanks all! Some great suggestions here on resources. The hamster name--just love their fuzzy little personalities. Used to love having rats, but go into anaphylaxis around them. My health insurance is literally a continuation through employer, not COBRA or open market--one of the early retirement perks as part of buyout incentive, but thanks for asking about that. So I'm focused on not getting gouged next year with Medicare.

Welcome! Also love your username. Never had a rat, but am also one of those rare folks who find their furriness attractive.

Sorry for all you are going through, particularly with your 'equivalent' spouse, But do think you will be fine financially since you are so close to medicare eligibility.

Welcome, sounds like your a retiring professor? My DB just retired last year, prof at Florida Atlantic University for 30 years. He's set, got in when the pensions were real pensions + SS.

Sorry to hear your significant other has some health issues.

Looks like you're on a great path. Lots of good advice and ideas to kick around on this forum. In other words, no shy posters here. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Welcome! Hope the sledding gets easier. Lots of sage folks here willing to share good advice. Plus there's me for the other kind of advice. :D

My college offered a one-year salary incentive buy-out. So I'm coasting on that + teaching one course a semester + some non-retirement savings for 2 years, before tapping into Social Security and retirement accounts (just south of $1M right now). It won't be a cushy retirement, but I've always lived below my means.

Have you considered delaying Social Security until 70?

If you can swing it, that may well pay off in the long run.

Rainbow People 🏳️*🌈

Yay! More rainbow 🌈 people.

So sorry for the difficult situation you find yourself in. I hope this forum proves a valuable resource to you.

Have you considered delaying Social Security until 70?

If you can swing it, that may well pay off in the long run.
Yes, thank you. I'm definitely holding out until official age 66 and 2 months. Expect to hold out a bit longer... Not sure 70 feasible, but given genetics, every nickel counts.

Welcome to the forum! What a awful year you have had. I hope things go smoother.

Welcome to the forum.

You have certainly had a challenging time over the last year. I hope you are able to find time for yourself to re-charge, and do some activities you enjoy, and not have to spend all of your non-w#rk time being a caretaker to your dad and your SO.

Here's hoping the year ahead (and those that follow) is less stressful and more relaxing for all of you. :flowers:

Good luck. I hope things settle down for you a bit. There’s a lot of great advice on these forums and plenty of people eager to help if you have questions. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom