Join Early Retirement Today

Unusual Work Opportunity moving Lurker to Member
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Unusual Work Opportunity moving Lurker to Member

Hi all, I’m a long-time lurker and avid reader of this forum. DH and I are on track to reach FI (or at least a glide point) in the next 5-7 years and as a child free couple, we value our time greatly. DH owns a small business and has control of his time and work - and loves it. I’ve been envious of this lifestyle for years. My issue has been that I do my job quite well and for a fair price, but I end up spending a lot of time sitting around in the office running the clock out. That lifestyle is now within my grasp -- I can go independent contractor and keep overall income the same and be in control of my time. BUT - then came an unsolicited job offer with a well-backed startup. It is clear they really want *me*--work time/place is highly flexible and pay would be 50-70% more than current plus equity/options. It would also be more demanding.

The question is - do I take the offer and hope to cash in and help us retire even sooner, or do I go for the known quantity with the lifestyle I desire right now (isn't it always a choice of current vs. future satisfaction?). Or do I really put the pedal down and look to do both? I realistically think I could do both in around 45 hrs/week. I’d be especially interested in those with specific experience in startups and its impact (good or bad) on your FIRE journey.
MusicGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #2

I don't have any specific career advise. But I wanted to welcome you coming out from lurkdom!
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome.

If you want more flexibility, why do both? The startup's big appeal is the prospective windfall if it goes public. In the meantime, you get a big pay bump. I'm also not sure how the startup would look upon you keeping your old job.

Of course, the big startup risk is that it all falls through. A BIL of mine recently was put out of work by his startup imploding. Everyone was terminated and the company rolled up in a couple of days.

You get your primary objective with your current position going to an independent contractor. This keeps you on the 5-7 year path. The startup could get you there sooner but it comes with some risk. Trying to do both seems like you're asking for trouble.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

Welcome! Personally, I wish I had had the opportunity to try a start-up along the way so I would go for it. As you know, it's not without risk, but if you are on track to ER anyway and are tired of running out the clock in your current job, it sounds attractive to me.

Of course, you could always do the 4-box exercise sometimes attributed to Ben Franklin - take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. Write the two options at the top of the columns. Draw a line halfway across the page. In the top half of each column, write all of the positive things about choosing that option. In the bottom half, write all of the negative things. Keep the page handy for a day or two to add more notes as you think of them. This approach has been very helpful to me in making big decisions.

Good luck and keep us posted!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote