Join Early Retirement Today

vanguard
Old 06-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

vanguard

I am currently adding to my 401K in this manner (each paycheck) ..

50%* Total Bond Mkt
50%* Retirement Trust Savings.*

I still have $$'s in stuff like U.S. Growth Fund Invstor and others,* but I do not contribute to any ..* * I stopped contributing to them during the stock mkt* adjustment period (or whatever they called that in 2000 - 2004) ....* I am sticking with safer investments.* I am 48 yrs old ..* Is this a good way to do this .. I am hesitant to jump into the stock mkt again .. I am making money .. slow and steady ..* I also have about $92,000 in a savings account (getting about 1.5% interest .. ouch)* ...* *CD's seem a better way to go ..
jg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: vanguard
Old 06-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg35
I am currently adding to my 401K in this manner (each paycheck) ..

50%* Total Bond Mkt
50%* Retirement Trust Savings.*

I still have $$'s in stuff like U.S. Growth Fund Invstor and others,* but I do not contribute to any ..* * I stopped contributing to them during the stock mkt* adjustment period (or whatever they called that in 2000 - 2004) ....* I am sticking with safer investments.* I am 48 yrs old ..* Is this a good way to do this .. I am hesitant to jump into the stock mkt again .. I am making money .. slow and steady ..* I also have about $92,000 in a savings account (getting about 1.5% interest .. ouch)* ...* *CD's seem a better way to go ..
For those of you wondering, no this is not me in yet another guise.
For one thing I am not sure Dory would allow another post total
consolidation. For another I have no 401K, and..................I couldn't stand to
have any money out there paying 1.5%. So, the jg is merely a
conincidence

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

sorry jg .. Didn't know there was an id so close to mine ... just looking for some advice from some experienced people .. and this forum seems to have some experience ..
jg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #4

Welcome jg35,

From the tone of your question, it sounds like you already feel that you are being too conservative.* * 1.5% interest is losing money slowly and steadily, due to inflation.* I'd check out one of the books recommended here and there on this forum, or take a look at these articles.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing though, during that 'adjustment period' you missed out on the opportunity to be buying equities at lower prices.

The stock market is the only thing that send people running away when they put things on sale
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #6

[qoute]also have about $92,000 in a savings account (getting about 1.5% interest .. ouch) ... CD's seem a better way to go ..You are not alone. Many people feel insecure about the market. CD (5 year) is paying 5% and I bond is paying 4.8%. We just puchased $60K (two separate accounts) through Tresury Direct.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg35
sorry jg .. Didn't know there was an id so close to mine ...
He was referring to the conservative investments. He has no stocks and around a couple hundred thou in bonds plus unspecified RE assets, a corporation dragging tax losses, working spouse, etc., etc.

JG (meaning MRGALT2U), as far as post consolidations I intend to eventually consolidate unclemick's 2 IDs and credit charlie for his guest posts as Chuck-Lyn. Offhand I don't recall anyone else with significant post counts either as guest or an old ID. unclemick will jump back past Nords and maybe Cut-Throat on the post list; I don't have a feel for how many guest posts charlie had...who knows, maybe he's over 5,000 already.

By the way, I changed the post count but didn't assign the guests posts to you, so if an admin ever clicks on the "recalculate statistics" link your count may suddenly drop. (And charlie's after I credit his.) And of course you never know when dory36 will rearrange something.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
By the way, I changed the post count but didn't assign the guests posts to you, so if an admin ever clicks on the "recalculate statistics" link your count may suddenly drop. (And charlie's after I credit his.) And of course you never know when dory36 will rearrange something.
Guys, how much of a contribution is that worth to you?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Guys, how much of a contribution is that worth to you?
I do not pay a lot of attention to the post count. The idea is to learn something from the posts and to have fun chating on issues.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I do not pay a lot of attention to the post count. The idea is to learn something from the posts and to have fun chating on issues.
And to improve our spelling

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes, important issues like "how to maneuver the back end of a cow-orker into the proper position as to enhance the volume of bull..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
He was referring to the conservative investments. He has no stocks and around a couple hundred thou in bonds plus unspecified RE assets, a corporation dragging tax losses, working spouse, etc., etc.

JG (meaning MRGALT2U), as far as post consolidations I intend to eventually consolidate unclemick's 2 IDs and credit charlie for his guest posts as Chuck-Lyn. Offhand I don't recall anyone else with significant post counts either as guest or an old ID. unclemick will jump back past Nords and maybe Cut-Throat on the post list; I don't have a feel for how many guest posts charlie had...who knows, maybe he's over 5,000 already.

Is my title in jeopardy? Should I feel insecure? Are my pearls of insight
and wisdom balanced precariously? Is my pompous prognosticating
facing an uncertain future? Is "post count tweaking" afoot?
Inquiring minds cry out for an answer....

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Is my title in jeopardy? Should I feel insecure? Are my pearls of insight
and wisdom balanced precariously? Is my pompous prognosticating
facing an uncertain future? Is "post count tweaking" afoot?
Inquiring minds cry out for an answer....
Well, one of us already accidentally disabled polls for a week or so, and th has ever-dueling smileys under his name. No telling what we'll click on next. This new board has lots of options.

My original thought was that by consolidating your 3 accounts and unclemick's 2 accounts it would be easier to peruse posting history and be less confusing to new readers who wonder why there's 4 or 5 posters that seem to be the same person in your case and 2 people that seem to be the same person in charlie's and unclemick's cases. I was close to assigning all the guest posts to the appropriate accounts, but since they're guests posts we're not absolutely sure there's not a forged post in there somewhere, and I'm oddly picky about that kind of thing. The post count adjustment was an afterthought. I didn't think it would lead to this much consideration.

I'd like the post counts to be accurate; this board has a lot of brief visits and the post counts indicate how tenured or active the paster is; this implies familiarity with board culture. But there's no beer for first place.

In short, I don't really care too much about post count, and dory36 toys with top posters' user settings. Who knows what's next? I still think encrypting post counts would be cute but a little too narrow in appeal.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I think "member since xxx date" is a better indicator of a pillar of the board. I am a post-aholic ("Hi Laurence!") and I doubt more than 50% of my posts actually contribute to furthering of discussions, yet according to my posts I'm a top twenty guy, which is not truthful when compared to some of the knowledgable people who have less posts than me. Ol Rancher is a perfect example. Almost every post is poignant and pithy.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Honestly, I think "member since xxx date" is a better indicator of a pillar of the board.* I am a post-aholic ("Hi Laurence!") and I doubt more than 50% of my posts actually contribute to furthering of discussions, yet according to my posts I'm a top twenty guy, which is not truthful when compared to some of the knowledgable people who have less posts than me.* Ol Rancher is a perfect example.* Almost every post is poignant and pithy.*
Sure beats putrid and pissy

JG
Old 06-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Like I said before, post count is absolutely meaningless. On most boards its some measure of 'seniority', although I've never considered having a high post count to mean anything other than diarrhea of the fingers...

Laurences "Member since" at least tells you how long somebodies been around opining, which is less meaningless but still not terribly informative.

Is there a facility for rating other members with 1-5 stars? Now that would be fun...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Like I said before, post count is absolutely meaningless.* On most boards its some measure of 'seniority', although I've never considered having a high post count to mean anything other than diarrhea of the fingers...

Laurences "Member since" at least tells you how long somebodies been around opining, which is less meaningless but still not terribly informative.

Is there a facility for rating other members with 1-5 stars?* Now that would be fun...
How about this? A formula combining age and no. of years actually retired?
It's pretty easy to get on here and talk about how you are going to do it
"some day". Anyone can do that. Now, if you have some years and
wisdom plus are actually ERed. Now that's worth noting.

JG
Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I'm peddling as fast as I can...............

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

First we'd have to disqualify those who were just plain old unemployed with a spouse propping them up, and then determine who has actually accomplished ER.

The rating system might be fun, but it might lead to hurt feelers, too. (Laurence, "What the heck? 1 out of 4 stars? What's up with THAT!?!?" Everybody else, "Well, it wouldn't let us give you zero..... ")
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #20

I'm sure people would love to have to submit an application and have a background check to tell if they're really retired or a 13-year old girl.

Actually this software does have a karma feature, but I haven't turned it on even in the test boards so I don't know how it works.

Well, I know who's who, and the board seems quite popular to newcomers, so I guess something is going right.

Tags
vanguard