Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2021, 12:38 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I was lucky in a way. I married my current (third) wife relatively late at the age of 55 and she was 60 (I am also her third husband). She was working full time as a government contractor with zero work to do (placeholder contract which is a typical scam in DC where the business is contract overhead [profit] regardless of workload). She was a web administrator and maintained the web pages for the FAA which required roughly 5 minutes of work a week. Her entire organization did very little which is very common in the Federal Government these days. Anyway, she had a lot of free time and was required to be at her desk so she began day trading while at work (not using a government computer). She was bored to death at her job and was making more per day than her salary so asked me if she could quit and Day Trade at home. I had no problem with that so this is what she did and still is doing 15 years later in retirement.

I had no intention to retire as I was a very senior research scientist for the government and I loved my job. However, that all came crashing down as I got an incompetent and malevolent boss and my job was no longer fun so I retired without notice. I had 26 years active duty and 10 years as a GS15 scientist so pulled the plug and we moved out of the country to Hungary 2 weeks later. I couldn't announce my plans to retire as that particular boss would have found a way to cheat me out of my tiny ($1,000 a month) civil service retirement as I was a term appointment and subject to his whims (even though technically a GS15 and a colonel are equivalent ranks but uniform officers take precedence). Happily, he was court-martialed later for sexual harassment (as a colonel he demanded sex from 2 junior lieutenants for better assignments which were recorded on tape), ethnic harassment (he verbally abused Chinese scientists with racial slurs also recorded on tape), and misuse (theft) of government funds ($1.6 million). Because his daddy was a senior person in Bush's administration he was permitted to retire one grade lower. A truly loathsome individual who ruined so many lives in his career but typical for senior management in the military now where people are selected for promotion based on lineage and sycophant behavior and not actual demonstrated leadership qualities. The nice thing is his second wife divorced him taking 50% of his pension and his first wife got the first 50% in their divorce so he gets nothing at all in retirement. I suppose it is at least some tiny bit of justice. I feel bad though as this screwed over my staff of roughly 20 scientists and technicians who were left to defend themselves from this evil guy. In revenge against me after I left, he fired everyone and closed down the entire lab as all were contractors. He had appointed a junior Major to ensure that all happened. Now that guy who is a clone of the first colonel is also now a colonel and running things so the saga continues. I certainly don't miss any of it.

Anyway, we retired and I was 56 at the time and we can't possibly be any happier but I have no friends left from my lab which is somewhat sad. Work friends usually turn out to be fair-weather friends anyway so not a huge surprise.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 12:44 AM   #82
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm seeing the same thing with DW and I. We are DINKs - 44/43 and at the point with a minimal mortgage/expenses and 5mm+ in NW. We both came from blue collar families thus a bit gunshy to pull the plug and likely to give it at least 4-5 more years, but I hope we're not in our 50s still thinking that we need OMY.
SF94111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Waited Too Long... How to Convince Spouse We are OK to Retire
Old 01-30-2021, 06:48 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The current episode of Rick Ferri’s Bogleheads podcast addresses mental money matters. The guest is a behavioral economist. One of the things they both note from their decades of working with individuals is how people can harbor all kinds of underlying values about money, e.g., it’s evil, it’s the solution to all problems, it always goes away, it’s just a neutral tool, etc., all of which have no relationship to their actual net worth and clear math. Until these assumptions are excavated, they can lead to unfortunate hangups.

https://rickferri.com/podcast/episod...st-rick-ferri/
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's become fairly common online for a poster not to feel the need to reveal gender, sexual orientation, etc. I don't feel gender is terribly relevant to FIRE, unless actual physical differences are somehow coming into play.

On another forum I used to frequent, I preferred not to identify my sex. A small subset of the members - interestingly, ones who identified themselves as female - made a big deal of wanting to know, guessing, demanding why I wouldn't say, etc. You'd think we were in a bathroom and they wanted to be sure I wasn't a man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Most posters here are male. Absent clarity that is usually my assumption. I find it awkward to refer to someone as "the spouse", but perhaps that is just me.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

"There can never be enough" = OMY syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
The current episode of Rick Ferri’s Bogleheads podcast addresses mental money matters. The guest is a behavioral economist. One of the things they both note from their decades of working with individuals is how people can harbor all kinds of underlying values about money, e.g., it’s evil, it’s the solution to all problems, it always goes away, it’s just a neutral tool, etc., all of which have no relationship to their actual net worth and clear math. Until these assumptions are excavated, they can lead to unfortunate hangups.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:37 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

I suggest you need to get from “they said” to YOU know you are prepared financially. I used FireCalc to run baseline and sensitivity analysis (higher expenses, lower return) until I was comfortable. I think you’ll find you have a lot of cushion.
WhenIsItTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #87
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
"There can never be enough" = OMY syndrome
I have rarely heard anyone complain that they were too rich.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Microbiologist View Post
I was lucky in a way. I married my current (third) wife relatively late at the age of 55 and she was 60 (I am also her third husband). She was working full time as a government contractor with zero work to do (placeholder contract which is a typical scam in DC where the business is contract overhead [profit]

snip

Anyway, we retired and I was 56 at the time and we can't possibly be any happier but I have no friends left from my lab which is somewhat sad. Work friends usually turn out to be fair-weather friends anyway so not a huge surprise.

Thank you for sharing your journey and experience. It sounds like a true nightmare to be in a similar situation. I also noticed your destination of Hungary -- that is pretty unusual. Do you have family ties or something else that led you to that choice?
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:25 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Most posters here are male. How did you arrive at that conclusion?
By reading posts and also polling on the topic, which validates my view.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thanks for this, I'm listening now. Interesting perspective thus far.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #91

Around 45:00 they get into “The Worried Wealthy,” which kind of sounded like your spouse. There’s a lot more going on under the hood than “Oh, don’t worry. See, the numbers add up.”

They describe how people fall along an X/Y axis between those with extreme Internal Locus of Control (What, me worry? types) and those with extreme External Locus of Control (If math and history show that a 6% spend rate is fine, well I’m spending half of 1%, and preferably 0%, because black helicopters and asteroids). Those are my examples but the point is, neither extreme leads to well being.

What did you think about her lessons, OP?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #92

OP, you are in a "very" good position financially.

Is there someway you can convince your DW to "test the waters" with some one or two month "sabbaticals" if her employer would allow such?

Or maybe convince her to just schedule some long vacation times, and do some "retirement-y" type activities?

Ease her into a different frame of mind, see how much fun retirement can be, then maybe she would become more than willing to pull the trigger.

Another thought is, if you are ready and she is not, what about you retiring and having some fun while she still works? When she hears and sees all the fun you are having maybe she gets jealous and pulls the trigger.

But financially, especially with no kids, no reason not to retire. Maybe she gets her "perceived" purpose in life from working. if that's the case, can you come up with some activities to replace that sense of purpose for her?
Old 01-31-2021, 08:36 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

@oiseuxq
Thanks for posting, made an interesting reading.

You two have done a lot trying to justify ER for both of you but the situation has not moved in any meaningful way. I have never been to marriage counseling so cannot speak to that but I am in a somewhat similar, although not exactly, position as you so let me offer this take.

You suffer a stress-induced stroke tomorrow paralyzing the left side of your body. Would this change your outlook on ER? Would you regretted having spent all this effort and TIME trying to decide/convince your husband to ER?

I give you this view because my dear younger sibling passed unexpectedly at a very young age just a short year ago. One instant he was there, the next day he was in a coma which he never woke from.

Time is running, the two of you are just wasting it not moving forward together into the next phase of your lives. Just make a decision and go with it, whether it means you ER full time and he continues working, or you ER but hey into a planning mode mailing out the next steps and he continues working, or you both ER, whatever. The development phase of your ER project is over budget and had gone beyond the implementation date. Time to let it fly. Make adjustments (e.g. vary your burn rate, husband takes a sabbatical, etc.) and deal with the issues live as they come up. Customers are waiting.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:04 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
my spouse still believes that we are not in the position to go and wants to wait two more years+.
Negotiate with DW and retire in ONE year.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:32 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Negotiate with DW and retire in ONE year.
The negotiation has started; it will be a one year process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKickItForward View Post
@oiseuxq

Time is running, the two of you are just wasting it not moving forward together into the next phase of your lives. Just make a decision and go with it, whether it means you ER full time and he continues working, or you ER but hey into a planning mode mailing out the next steps and he continues working, or you both ER, whatever. The development phase of your ER project is over budget and had gone beyond the implementation date. Time to let it fly. Make adjustments (e.g. vary your burn rate, husband takes a sabbatical, etc.) and deal with the issues live as they come up. Customers are waiting.
Yes, time is running out. I’ve brought up these issues, and example of others, but it doesn’t seem to sink in. I’m going to enlist friends however to aid the campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
OP, you are in a "very" good position financially.

Is there someway you can convince your DW to "test the waters" with some one or two month "sabbaticals" if her employer would allow such?

snip

But financially, especially with no kids, no reason not to retire. Maybe she gets her "perceived" purpose in life from working. if that's the case, can you come up with some activities to replace that sense of purpose for her?
No sabbaticals, but a job that will allow remote work.
I’m toying with the idea of another vacation home as an incentive, and a project. But I am afraid that will increase the financial concerns, and the anxiety. The objection of "working allows for more toys" has been raised when we buy no toys already
Quote:
Around 45:00 they get into “The Worried Wealthy,” which kind of sounded like your spouse.
snip
What did you think about her lessons, OP?

I did hear that part and another whether they basically outlined our situation. But the remainder of the theories and explanations didn’t resonate quite as much. The Internal Locus of Control bears some further examination.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #96

OP,

Did your spouse grow up poor, or in otherwise tenuous circumstances? Could there be a deep-seated fear of "never enough" in his outlook?

I agree that given your net worth, there is something more driving his resistance than issues with the actual financial facts.

Until you and he identify and address the real issue(s) I don't think either one of you will be happy.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseux View Post
The negotiation has started; it will be a one year process.
You state that "one year" very definitely. As if the negotiations are concluded?

At any rate, good luck, and let us all know how things are progressing from time to time!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKickItForward View Post
@oiseuxq

You suffer a stress-induced stroke tomorrow paralyzing the left side of your body. Would this change your outlook on ER? Would you regret having spent all this effort and TIME trying to decide/convince your husband to ER?

Odd that you should mention that. DIL's mother just had a stroke and is paralyzed on her left side. After several days in ICU, she is now on the med floor. Hard to know if she will ever be able to live independently.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
You state that "one year" very definitely. As if the negotiations are concluded?

At any rate, good luck, and let us all know how things are progressing from time to time!
Nope, negotiations will be an ongoing process.

Small but pretty major progress on the negotiations (still to be completed). I have an acknowledged "there is enough" in the accounts but that working through 2021 is best due to CV19. Now the negotiation focus turns to 2022 and the topic of "but I'd like to pad".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
OP,

Did your spouse grow up poor, or in otherwise tenuous circumstances? Could there be a deep-seated fear of "never enough" in his outlook?
snip
Best of luck to you.
Not at all, middle to upper middle class. Crazy, right? Thank you for the wishes, as well.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:38 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseux View Post
Nope, negotiations will be an ongoing process.

Small but pretty major progress on the negotiations (still to be completed). I have an acknowledged "there is enough" in the accounts but that working through 2021 is best due to CV19. Now the negotiation focus turns to 2022 and the topic of "but I'd like to pad".
To be more precise - if it is acknowledged "there is enough" now, then working through 2021 (while it may also be convenient due to Covid-19) will already be one year of padding. So the 2022 topic is really, "we will already have a year of padding, but I'd like to pad a second year".

Why not just go ahead and pad for 5 or 10 years?
ILikeStarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote