wanting to make the change, age 60 in St. Paul, MN

Grinkles

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi gang,

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm 60, still working full-time, owning my small real estate brokerage, but want to slow down, work much less and eventually a total change, within 2 years. We want to first find a destination to spend part of the winter in a warm climate, leading to spending half the year in Minnesota and the colder half of the year in a warmer climate. I'm hoping you have some advice on reasonable yet inviting destinations. I have had more than enough of Minnesota winters and want to spend much of next winter elsewhere!

Hi from a fellow Minnesotan! My hubby and I have quite a few years yet before retirement but we also talk about heading south during the winters when we retire. This winter is even worse than usual, isn't it? Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

Another Minnesotan who will be eagerly following this thread. The last couple of years have convinced me that I, too, want to be a snow bird in retirement (still some years away, but planning!) Why is it that the winters feel worse and worse here? I thought we were supposed to be in global warming or something :) And we still have many months to go.

I'm single, and don't know a soul in warmer destinations. I've always lived in the upper Midwest. So I will have to plan rather carefully for where I want to go. Right now sunshine and a beach sound good.

Besides climate one might be interested in the cultural artifacts, prevalent religious denominations, and political attitudes of various parts of the nation. Colin Woodard has a new book out, American Nation: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of the United States. Here's a link to a Washington Post review of the book:

Which of the 11 American nations do you live in?

I can't see us leaving MN til after Christmas because all of our friends and family are here. So we think we would probably only spend three months in warmer territory. We don't need anything fancy but do appreciate privacy. Wonder what the most cost-effective solution for southern "staying" would be for us?? Lots of years left to think and plan but I'd love to hear what others do!

DH's Minnesota uncle and aunt leave early in the new year for their MH park in Apache Junction, AZ, and stay until April or May. They seem to like that routine.

Hi gang,

I'm so glad I found this site. I'm 60, still working full-time, owning my small real estate brokerage, but want to slow down, work much less and eventually a total change, within 2 years. We want to first find a destination to spend part of the winter in a warm climate, leading to spending half the year in Minnesota and the colder half of the year in a warmer climate. I'm hoping you have some advice on reasonable yet inviting destinations. I have had more than enough of Minnesota winters and want to spend much of next winter elsewhere!

Sounds like a Plan! :)
Sending you a PM with some thoughts...

Back
Top Bottom