We are retired with 5 young kids (actually just had a baby this week)

Cossack

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am David, 43. My wife and I retired a few years back. We have 5 kids, 10, 8, 7, 4 and a newborn born on Tuesday. We have been able to travel and live in a a few different countries over the years. We were able to retire because we have passive income through property and term deposits. We did have a few businesses, but did not make huge money through them. They were very useful though for paying for expenses that were for both business and personal use and personal tax we needed to pay.

I really want to help people with their finances. I have written a book (not for sale) which is in the beta reading stage. I hope to help people by sharing my experiences and I am sure I will learn from others around here as well.

Last edited:
... My wife and I retired a few years back. We have 5 kids, 10, 8, 7, 4 and a newborn born on Tuesday. ...
Your doctor can tell you what causes this. :LOL:

Congrats on retiring extremely young, although raising 5 kids sounds like a lot of w*rk IMO ;)

With that many kids I suspect no one is asking you what you do all day...

I had a guy come up to me a couple of days ago while I was playing with the kids and said that he wanted to do that with his kids (twins to be born next month). This is his second marriage and he has kids that are in their 20s that don't want to have anything to do with him because he neglected them to focus on building wealth. He is really wealthy, but lives with that regret. That's a hard way to learn a lesson. At least I can learn from that as well. I was just playing with the kids! I don't do that enough really.

Congrats on your new addition and your ER. You sound like the right person to write a book on finances!
Welcome to the forum

Wow! Interesting life you have. You had and have a plan that is one of the most important things and sounds like you do.

You are very lucky man to have a that big of family. When life ends for us the only real things that goes on is family. You can have all the money in the world but to me family cares on and they are part of you.

Keep us informed and your retirement.

Congratulations. You will look back one day and all those times you played with your kids will be I am glad I was able to do that with them. Carries you through your old age.

Yes please share your book, I would love to read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have 6 kids (20, 18, 16, 14, 5 & 2). I am 52. I consider myself semi-retired. I would like to be filly retired but my expenses are staggaring. I would be very interested to hear how you make it all work. Are you HNW?

Congrats on your new addition and your ER. You sound like the right person to write a book on finances!
Welcome to the forum

Thanks. She is still unnamed, but hopefully we can agree on something in the next couple of days. It has taken a few years to get the book together, hopefully it will be able to help others.

Wow! Interesting life you have. You had and have a plan that is one of the most important things and sounds like you do.

You are very lucky man to have a that big of family. When life ends for us the only real things that goes on is family. You can have all the money in the world but to me family cares on and they are part of you.

Keep us informed and your retirement.

Yes, we feel really lucky to have a large family. I didn't think we would have as many as we do, but I can't imagine life without them now (although sometimes...).

Congratulations. You will look back one day and all those times you played with your kids will be I am glad I was able to do that with them. Carries you through your old age.

I always enjoy playing with the kids. I just don't make it a plan it as part of the day. Thanks for the advice.

I have 6 kids (20, 18, 16, 14, 5 & 2). I am 52. I consider myself semi-retired. I would like to be filly retired but my expenses are staggaring. I would be very interested to hear how you make it all work. Are you HNW?

Six kids. Awesome! I am not sure if will aim that high.

Do you mean High Net Worth Individual? I would say that we are, but you don't need to be. We had property which we reconfigured (extra bedrooms or adding a unit) to give us a really good income. The property values soared in price, but even if they hadn't and stayed the same price when we brought them, we could have retired because of the income that we achieved through them. We had other means of income as well, but the property was the best being almost passive (we have our property managed now). We also found ways to reduce our expenses.

With that many kids I suspect no one is asking you what you do all day...

No kidding. Making babies, especially in that quantity, is a lot of work! You have to ask yourselves is OP really even retired!

No kidding. Making babies, especially in that quantity, is a lot of work! You have to ask yourselves is OP really even retired!

I have to take issue with what you said. Making that many babies was not hard work, I actually enjoyed it :)

Back
Top Bottom