Join Early Retirement Today

We are Retiring Again
Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

We are Retiring Again

Retiring again: Me at 60, and my wife at 49 (49 for the 6th time). Biggest challenge is how to make these retirement years exciting and not just a repeating the same year over and over. Looking forward to sharing some views and getting some ideas from other members. I expect I will enter some posts under the travel information section.

signed: “I Life”

1 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Buy an rv or travel trailer.

One of the very best things we have done.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Buy an rv or travel trailer.

One of the very best things we have done.
ohhh boy! i feel another "buying rv's is a bad idea" discussion coming on..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Did you retire once & it did not take ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey 1 Life. Interested to hear more about your story. W/ everyone working toward ER and all, what's the downside?

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

With rving you can supplement your income by being a campground host a month or so a year. Free rent and some coins in your pocket.

You get to meet some neat people and stay active.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Hellp Moemy & Ultimate Cheapskate: Still not ready to retire full time. Hopefully, never will be. My career/job is not longer a real important part of my life but it still adds Zest. Ideally my part time retirment jobs (volunterred or paid) will be different than how I earned a living to raise my family, but it will keep my live full and busy. And it will fit into any travel or social plans I may have. 'This is the time in my life where my travel or social plans come first. But most important; I still need a reason to get up in the morning. And I can not spend all day just smelling the flowers.
1 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
With rving you can supplement your income by being a campground host a month or so a year. Free rent and some coins in your pocket.

You get to meet some neat people and stay active.
According to an NPR show I heard a few weeks ago, it sounds like all the RV'ers are saving money by staying in WalMart parking lots. Not the type of ER I'm looking for.

Harley
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Life View Post
Biggest challenge is how to make these retirement years exciting and not just repeating the same year over and over.
Two suggestions:

(1) travel (not to Walmart parking lots, but to various countries that are sufficiently different to stand out in your memories);

(2) engage in one or more activities in which you can make progress and feel that you are improving your skills. The specific nature of the activity is not particularly important, as long as it matters to you. It could be earning a degree, or learning how to scuba dive or sail, or climbing the ranks as a volunteer coach, or participating in a sport with well-defined achievement levels such as one of the martial arts. Whatever turns you on!

"Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence or take the risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the telly and treat life as if it goes on forever": Philip Adams, Australian commentator.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #10

Another thought: you might benefit from reading Ed Zelinski's The Joy of Not Working.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Life View Post
Biggest challenge is how to make these retirement years exciting and not just a repeating the same year over and over.
This site might be of some possible interest: YoungRetired.ca Home.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

1 Life
Quote:
My career/job is not longer a real important part of my life but it still adds Zest. Ideally my part time retirment jobs (volunterred or paid) will be different than how I earned a living to raise my family, but it will keep my live full and busy. And it will fit into any travel or social plans I may have. 'This is the time in my life where my travel or social plans come first. But most important; I still need a reason to get up in the morning. And I can not spend all day just smelling the flowers.
Hi 1Life,

Welcome!

Why not take a look at our Relocation, Retirement Jobs and Community Service page? About ˝ down are lots of listings for the full or part time job of your dreams -- Work while traveling or get involved in your community or any community…

If you are interested in Rving… check out our Lifestyles Page or maybe our Travel Page might interest you.

Good luck!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #13

He lives in The Peg.