Well finally I have enough to be in this forum

Mark24609

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi my name is Mark,

Wife from Nicaragua. Accountant by trade. 4 and half million networth including primary residence. two sons, three grandchildren

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.
Welcome Mark. Look forward to your posts.

Unless you have a $4 million dollar house I think you are golden. And if you do you are pretty good too!

Welcome. My names Mark as well. I sat next to a Mark at a baseball game yesterday. Good things come in 3's

Welcome. My names Mark as well. I sat next to a Mark at a baseball game yesterday. Good things come in 3's

Well, then I'll be the third Mark to chime in here. (real name is Mark, not marko)

Welcome, Mark. I think many of us have less than that but retired just the same. I have to budget a little more, but our retirement has held steady and so worth it. 4M would put me in a category of major first class travel. You are in the "sweet spot."

Welcome, Mark. I think many of us have less than that but retired just the same. I have to budget a little more, but our retirement has held steady and so worth it. 4M would put me in a category of major first class travel. You are in the "sweet spot."

With how big the World is, or just the USA for that matter, comparing one's net worth and potential success at FIRE seems impossible. One with $4MM+ in assets could actually be living on a tighter budget than one with $1MM in assets based on COL area, aging parents or kids needing support, Soc. Sec. access, health issues, and so much more. My parents, for example, earned most of their living from real estate investments, none of which had social security taxes, so they don't get to bank on that as part of their retirement equation.

Just sayin'...

MIMH

The ER bouncer verifies your bank statement at the door

Hi my name is Mark,

Wife from Nicaragua. Accountant by trade. 4 and half million networth including primary residence. two sons, three grandchildren

I think if you had four and a half dollars - let alone millions - you'd be welcome at this forum. :greetings10:

So, Mark, with a pile that big are you retired yet, or still piling on? Your ID says you joined in 2012; are there any other interesting aspects of your situation you'd care to share?

Thanks everyone

To add a little more. I retired due to a neurological disorder but that’s okay. I manage. My wife still works but will probably retire next year. I receive social security because of the disorder, but we want to wait until age 70 to receive hers.

My daughter just became an emergency room Nurse in Bakersfield, CA. We adopted her from the foster care system. The day she received her medical degree was the proudest day of my life. She was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol effect, but I didn’t believe them. I pushed and pushed her, and taught her math before middle school and reading before kindergarten. When she received her degree, she said, “Thankyou for choosing me.” She actually met her biological sister and her sister goes from one minimum wage job to another. So she witnessed what her life could have been like. She has one child, husband deployed in Jordan until August. There is no limit to what she can make although she still has bill,collectors not because she can’t pay the bills but because she forgets.

My son works for AT&T and is also married two kids.

Does anyone else have the problem I have. You spend all this time saving, and now it becomes hard to spend it.

Let me add a PS because I live in the Bay Area, the house just topped a million dollars. So net worth less primary is 3.5 million. Mortgage paid off. I bought the house for 121,000 go figure. A million is non IRA/401K. 2.5 million in tax deferred accts.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, although you at least have been a lurker for a while. Seems you have a good amount and ready for your wife to quit working and join you in retirement.

Read the Blow That Dough thread to help you with spending. It is an adjustment to go from accumulation mode to withdrawal mode.

Does anyone else have the problem I have. You spend all this time saving, and now it becomes hard to spend it.

I'm not in your shoes, because I haven't retired yet, but I've heard this mantra before. Those who save, continue to save in retirement. I'm not a huge proponent to financial advisers, but I do believe some people need them. Some - to ensure they have enough at retirement. Others - to ensure they spend enough in retirement! It is likely I'll be in the latter group with you, when my FIRE day comes.

MIMH

To add a little more. I retired due to a neurological disorder but that’s okay. I manage. My wife still works but will probably retire next year. I receive social security because of the disorder, but we want to wait until age 70 to receive hers.

My daughter just became an emergency room Nurse in Bakersfield, CA. We adopted her from the foster care system. The day she received her medical degree was the proudest day of my life. She was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol effect, but I didn’t believe them. I pushed and pushed her, and taught her math before middle school and reading before kindergarten. When she received her degree, she said, “Thankyou for choosing me.” She actually met her biological sister and her sister goes from one minimum wage job to another. So she witnessed what her life could have been like. She has one child, husband deployed in Jordan until August. There is no limit to what she can make although she still has bill,collectors not because she can’t pay the bills but because she forgets.

My son works for AT&T and is also married two kids.

Let me add a PS because I live in the Bay Area, the house just topped a million dollars. So net worth less primary is 3.5 million. Mortgage paid off. I bought the house for 121,000 go figure. A million is non IRA/401K. 2.5 million in tax deferred accts.

Beautiful story Mark with your daughter. Forget about the FIRE part or your problem on spending money. The success your daughter's having, you must be so proud. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it’s pretty common here. But it only makes sense, having the discipline to save income means spending less than you otherwise could have. That habit tends to persist, especially once you have less/no income and can’t accumulate savings. LBYM persists!

Last edited:
Great story Mark. Welcome.

....she still has bill,collectors not because she can’t pay the bills but because she forgets. ....

She could probably set up all her bills on autopay in a couple hours and end up saving lots of time dealing with bill collectors.

....Does anyone else have the problem I have. You spend all this time saving, and now it becomes hard to spend it. ....

Common problem around here... hard to go from saving to spending. My solution was to set up an automatic monthly transfer from our retirement assets to the local credit union account that we use to pay our bills... I call it my monthly "paycheck".

She could probably set up all her bills on autopay in a couple hours and end up saving lots of time dealing with bill collectors.

Common problem around here... hard to go from saving to spending. My solution was to set up an automatic monthly transfer from our retirement assets to the local credit union account that we use to pay our bills... I call it my monthly "paycheck".

+1 great ideas solve the obvious problems of sufficient assets and insufficient memory. Great reply pb4uski!!

Ha ha I said the same thing. So, now her husband deployed in Jordan changed credit card numbers so she stopped the autopay said it doesn’t work. She sure was good in nursing school. I can’t even get her to put enough in her 401k for the matching. May have to make a trip down there and drag her down

Beautiful story Mark with your daughter. Forget about the FIRE part or your problem on spending money. The success your daughter's having, you must be so proud. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely correct. She is my pride and joy

I may have to do that

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom