Join Early Retirement Today

Well finally I have enough to be in this forum
Old 05-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well finally I have enough to be in this forum

Hi my name is Mark,

Wife from Nicaragua. Accountant by trade. 4 and half million networth including primary residence. two sons, three grandchildren
Mark24609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24609 View Post
Hi my name is Mark,

Wife from Nicaragua. Accountant by trade. 4 and half million networth including primary residence. two sons, three grandchildren
Congrats- but you had me beat a long time ago.......

VW
Old 05-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same here.
Welcome Mark. Look forward to your posts.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thks my friend. Look forward to posting
Old 05-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

Unless you have a $4 million dollar house I think you are golden. And if you do you are pretty good too!

Welcome. My names Mark as well. I sat next to a Mark at a baseball game yesterday. Good things come in 3's
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:11 AM   #6

Welcome.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps you could tell us more about your situation?

-BB
Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Welcome. My names Mark as well. I sat next to a Mark at a baseball game yesterday. Good things come in 3's
Well, then I'll be the third Mark to chime in here. (real name is Mark, not marko)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #9

Welcome, Mark. I think many of us have less than that but retired just the same. I have to budget a little more, but our retirement has held steady and so worth it. 4M would put me in a category of major first class travel. You are in the "sweet spot."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Welcome, Mark. I think many of us have less than that but retired just the same. I have to budget a little more, but our retirement has held steady and so worth it. 4M would put me in a category of major first class travel. You are in the "sweet spot."
With how big the World is, or just the USA for that matter, comparing one's net worth and potential success at FIRE seems impossible. One with $4MM+ in assets could actually be living on a tighter budget than one with $1MM in assets based on COL area, aging parents or kids needing support, Soc. Sec. access, health issues, and so much more. My parents, for example, earned most of their living from real estate investments, none of which had social security taxes, so they don't get to bank on that as part of their retirement equation.

Just sayin'...

MIMH
MoneyIsMyHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The ER bouncer verifies your bank statement at the door
Old 05-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

The ER bouncer verifies your bank statement at the door

Quote:
Hi my name is Mark,

I think if you had four and a half dollars - let alone millions - you'd be welcome at this forum.

So, Mark, with a pile that big are you retired yet, or still piling on? Your ID says you joined in 2012; are there any other interesting aspects of your situation you'd care to share?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks everyone

To add a little more. I retired due to a neurological disorder but that’s okay. I manage. My wife still works but will probably retire next year. I receive social security because of the disorder, but we want to wait until age 70 to receive hers.

My daughter just became an emergency room Nurse in Bakersfield, CA. We adopted her from the foster care system. The day she received her medical degree was the proudest day of my life. She was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol effect, but I didn’t believe them. I pushed and pushed her, and taught her math before middle school and reading before kindergarten. When she received her degree, she said, “Thankyou for choosing me.” She actually met her biological sister and her sister goes from one minimum wage job to another. So she witnessed what her life could have been like. She has one child, husband deployed in Jordan until August. There is no limit to what she can make although she still has bill,collectors not because she can’t pay the bills but because she forgets.

My son works for AT&T and is also married two kids.

Does anyone else have the problem I have. You spend all this time saving, and now it becomes hard to spend it.

Let me add a PS because I live in the Bay Area, the house just topped a million dollars. So net worth less primary is 3.5 million. Mortgage paid off. I bought the house for 121,000 go figure. A million is non IRA/401K. 2.5 million in tax deferred accts.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum, although you at least have been a lurker for a while. Seems you have a good amount and ready for your wife to quit working and join you in retirement.

Read the Blow That Dough thread to help you with spending. It is an adjustment to go from accumulation mode to withdrawal mode.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Does anyone else have the problem I have. You spend all this time saving, and now it becomes hard to spend it.
I'm not in your shoes, because I haven't retired yet, but I've heard this mantra before. Those who save, continue to save in retirement. I'm not a huge proponent to financial advisers, but I do believe some people need them. Some - to ensure they have enough at retirement. Others - to ensure they spend enough in retirement! It is likely I'll be in the latter group with you, when my FIRE day comes.

MIMH
MoneyIsMyHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
To add a little more. I retired due to a neurological disorder but that’s okay. I manage. My wife still works but will probably retire next year. I receive social security because of the disorder, but we want to wait until age 70 to receive hers.

My daughter just became an emergency room Nurse in Bakersfield, CA. We adopted her from the foster care system. The day she received her medical degree was the proudest day of my life. She was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol effect, but I didn’t believe them. I pushed and pushed her, and taught her math before middle school and reading before kindergarten. When she received her degree, she said, “Thankyou for choosing me.” She actually met her biological sister and her sister goes from one minimum wage job to another. So she witnessed what her life could have been like. She has one child, husband deployed in Jordan until August. There is no limit to what she can make although she still has bill,collectors not because she can’t pay the bills but because she forgets.

My son works for AT&T and is also married two kids.

Let me add a PS because I live in the Bay Area, the house just topped a million dollars. So net worth less primary is 3.5 million. Mortgage paid off. I bought the house for 121,000 go figure. A million is non IRA/401K. 2.5 million in tax deferred accts.
Beautiful story Mark with your daughter. Forget about the FIRE part or your problem on spending money. The success your daughter's having, you must be so proud. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
JakeinChina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, it’s pretty common here. But it only makes sense, having the discipline to save income means spending less than you otherwise could have. That habit tends to persist, especially once you have less/no income and can’t accumulate savings. LBYM persists!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Great story Mark. Welcome.

Quote:
....she still has bill,collectors not because she can’t pay the bills but because she forgets. ....
She could probably set up all her bills on autopay in a couple hours and end up saving lots of time dealing with bill collectors.

Quote:
....Does anyone else have the problem I have. You spend all this time saving, and now it becomes hard to spend it. ....
Common problem around here... hard to go from saving to spending. My solution was to set up an automatic monthly transfer from our retirement assets to the local credit union account that we use to pay our bills... I call it my monthly "paycheck".

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Great story Mark. Welcome.

She could probably set up all her bills on autopay in a couple hours and end up saving lots of time dealing with bill collectors.

Common problem around here... hard to go from saving to spending. My solution was to set up an automatic monthly transfer from our retirement assets to the local credit union account that we use to pay our bills... I call it my monthly "paycheck".
+1 great ideas solve the obvious problems of sufficient assets and insufficient memory. Great reply pb4uski!!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ha ha I said the same thing. So, now her husband deployed in Jordan changed credit card numbers so she stopped the autopay said it doesn’t work. She sure was good in nursing school. I can’t even get her to put enough in her 401k for the matching. May have to make a trip down there and drag her down
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Beautiful story Mark with your daughter. Forget about the FIRE part or your problem on spending money. The success your daughter's having, you must be so proud. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely correct. She is my pride and joy

Tags
accountant, theretirementspt.com