Join Early Retirement Today

Well, I told them what I am planning...
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, I've been lurking for a few months now, been planning on ER for several years, just turned in resignation this week. Looks like a 5/31/15 launch into the unknown.

First let me say thank you to the site and the wonderful folks that are part of this community. I was so glad to find a positive and supportive place that matches my overall outlook on life.

Who am I? That's what I intend to explore. After 30+ years in the corporate world and normal teenage jobs/entry level positions before that, I'm ready to do something different, focus on more important things, and hopefully do some good.

Basics

58 year old male, DW is 61
Two great kids, one out of college, on his own and doing as well if not better than I was at his age. Daughter graduates this spring, waiting to see where graduate school will lead her. Both are relatively normal, happy, humans. What more can a parent hope for? I know I'm extremely fortunate to have them, DW, and FI as part of me.

AA is a 60/40 plus alternatives. Working with a FA for now but am considering a lower cost strategy. FA has done well these 3 years I've been working/planning with him, matching or slightly beating real returns of a Boglehead style shadow portfolio. Another big decision but it doesn't need to be made today.

Firecalc says we're ready (along with about very other calculator that's out there) but it's still a bit scary. Not sure what else to say at this point, but I sure am looking forward to the next adventure. Feels a bit like standing on the bridge with the harness and bungee cord all fitted and cinched down.

AAAYYYYYYYIIIIIII!!!!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Welcome to the posting side of the forum and the Class of 2015.

I can't comment on your FA other that to say the research says they aren't worth the cost. You indicate that he is "matching or slightly beating real returns of a Boglehead style shadow portfolio." What does you FA do the accomplish this? Being out of foreign stocks the last few years would help any portfolio return. What's your arrangement with your FA. I didn't really see you asking any question but if you'd like to continue your thread this seems like a good topic.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on making it to this point. If you have done the math (and you have right?) then jump! Enjoy the sheer sensation of a new beginning. Welcome to life 2.0!
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

Do it while you're able. I've known several who wouldn't quit and died before retiring. Don't let fear keep you from enjoying this satisfying phase of life.

+1 on dumping the FA. Not worth what they take from you. Too many good low cost indexing funds available.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

+2 on ditching your FA, but check out a few books from your library first (e.g. Idiots guide to Investing, and Four Pillars of Investing). I fired my FA without fully understanding AA at the time and I "rebalanced" my portfolio a few times in one month until it was sane. Probably caused quite a few unnecessary tax events.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

Welcome
Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Hi, I've been lurking for a few months now, been planning on ER for several years, just turned in resignation this week. Looks like a 5/31/15 launch into the unknown.
...snip...

Firecalc says we're ready (along with about very other calculator that's out there) but it's still a bit scary. Not sure what else to say at this point, but I sure am looking forward to the next adventure. Feels a bit like standing on the bridge with the harness and bungee cord all fitted and cinched down.

AAAYYYYYYYIIIIIII!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum. I have to comment on the first paragraph. Seems you are a reluctant retiree. You seem to have the financial aspects covered from last paragraph. Don't stress about it, you know how you got to the point you are at, just keep being smart.

Enjoy the new freedom to do what you want. I have said it here a lot, but will repeat it "you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to"

So go forward and make your new life. Spend time with your wife and being able to do things that were put off for years.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

You have hit the nail on the head 38chevy. I'll start new threads at some point. One for confirmation of the numbers and one for questions and progress on the the journey. Nice to meet you all.

Scared but excited
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

Welcome KCGeezer (although you seem a little young for geezerhood)! If you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent resources here that might help you make your "list" and check it twice (or three or four times if you are like most of us).

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

We'll do our best to answer your questions also - as you've noticed, there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks hanging out here!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! You seem to be heading in the right direction. I've been RE'd for a little more than a year and I can tell you that it is the best decision I've ever made. As long as the numbers work, you won't regret it. 😀

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hi i am...