Well, me again....

tominboise

Recycles dryer sheets
So I've been on the fence on retirement a couple of times. The last saga was a year ago this month, when I was thinking that I would get RIF'ed from Mega Corp and stop working. Well, it just took a year longer then I expected, but I am getting packaged out at the end of September. As an added bonus, DW has also turned in her paperwork at a different Megacorp and will be done at the end of September as well.

So, we bought a van and are converting to our travel mobile and portable tent, and plan to start looking around at all the great places in these United States.

I am 60 and she is 58. Not really early retirement like some on here, but my dad retired at 60 so at least I am keeping the trend going.

It sounds like it worked out nicely.

I personally consider any retirement prior to age 65 as early, since that for a long time was the SS full retirement age, and still is the medicare eligible age (which you would need when in retirement).

That's great! I've been waiting for a pkg for a year or so myself. You've given me hope! Enjoy!

Tell us about your van.

What type did you buy, and how are you converting it ?

Will you pull a trailer or popup tent ?

We bought a used 2017 Ford Transit 350, with the 3.5l ecoboost engine and Quigley 4X4 conversion. It is a mid roof height 148" whleelbase passenger van, so windows all the way down the sides.

It will have a bed, small ARB reefer, small gas camping cooktop and a cartridge toilet for emergencies. As we travel, we will spend probably 2 nights in a hotel for every night in the van, or maybe vice versa. We want to wander and be able to stop if a place looks interesting and be self sufficient.

Congrats.
Under 65 y.o. is still early retirement in my book. The average retirement age on this site is probably only a few years younger than 60.
Enjoy the best part of your upcoming life.

Congrats!
60 was our "out" age, too.
Boy, have the past 4 years flown by!
Enjoy your travels.

Congratulations!!!

I tried waiting for a package - and got tired of waiting and quit after a few years... If I'd held out for 1 more year I would have gotten a sweet package. You hit the jackpot!!!

Like others have said - details on the van!!!! We want them.

Once again - congratulations.

Building our our first van was the most fun (and longest) project we have ever done. We learned so much. There are a few pictures in the old thread "Anybody Campervan?" that I started two years ago. We've had that van for 5 years, now we're getting ready to start building van 2.0.

Our experience was that if you're new to this (like we were) it's best to just get the basics in place (a bed, cooking stuff, personal necessities) and go for a couple of 3-4 day trips to established campgrounds. You will quickly learn what you need, and then you can build out your dream machine to your exact needs. Trust me, you'll never be 100% complete - there's always something to add or change.

One thing we're definitely upgrading to is a composting toilet (like Nature's Head). Both of us get up at least once per night for a bathroom visit so the facilities get used regularly. The cassette types are really gross and smelly and inconvenient to empty, and black tank systems have their own set of issues.

PM me if you want some more of my best van-building advice!

BrianB

Congratulations! Tell us all about your plans :)

So I've been on the fence on retirement a couple of times. The last saga was a year ago this month, when I was thinking that I would get RIF'ed from Mega Corp and stop working. Well, it just took a year longer then I expected, but I am getting packaged out at the end of September. As an added bonus, DW has also turned in her paperwork at a different Megacorp and will be done at the end of September as well.

So, we bought a van and are converting to our travel mobile and portable tent, and plan to start looking around at all the great places in these United States.

I am 60 and she is 58. Not really early retirement like some on here, but my dad retired at 60 so at least I am keeping the trend going.

Awesome and Congrats. I two put off leaving for another 6 months or so as well. Hopefully by early next year.
Enjoy time traveling!:)

Back
Top Bottom