Join Early Retirement Today

What has happened to I-orp?
Old 07-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What has happened to I-orp?

Greetings from 66 year old retired couple from Alabama. We have used firecalc and I-Orp for years to help in planning and appreciate the wisdom from this sites’ long time posters. We are trying to live off 2.5% of IRA (55% equity,15% private equity, 20% fixed income, 10% cash). including taxes each year and it is working well. Our plan is to save Roth IRA and taxable for heirs unless we need it. They are all equity. It is about 35% of total investments now and we are considering increasing via Roth conversions. I have been trying to model through I-orp but it has been down for several days. Does anyone know why or have a suggestion for an alternative?
Jajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2022, 02:29 PM   #2

It has been down for a while. See this thread:
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ne-114316.html

It certainly took you long enough to make your first post!
Welcome to our world. We don't bite, honest!
Old 07-21-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, i-ORP has been down for quite a while. There was an e-mail contact on reports that I saved previously, so at one point I sent an e-mail to ask if it was down temporarily, or permanently. I never received a reply, so can only assume that it is dead. I asked for recommendations for a substitute in a Facebook group, and received a number of suggestions, but all were rudimentary compared to i-ORP, and did not allow modelling of different Roth conversion scenarios, which was the main thing I wanted to do! The only one I haven't looked into in more detail yet, though it sounds like it might be pretty comprehensive, is NewRetirement. I haven't tried it yet because it is a paid application. They do offer a free 2-week trial, though, so when I know I have enough free time to really dig into it, I will register for the 2-week trial. I'll post when I know more, and please post again if you find something comparable to i-ORP!
KerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity's free retirement tool is the most conservative I've found when set to "much below average" for future market conditions.

I've also found this retirement calculator to be a comfort as I get older:

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:22 PM   #5

James told me that Dynaxys was to keep i-orp running on a best effort basis. My email to Dynaxys went unanswered, but maybe a phone call could shed some light. I-orp was unique in the financial modeling space, and I wonder if I could grok the LP code. My last LP model was in grad school...1987 or so, lol!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:24 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Fidelity's free retirement tool is the most conservative I've found when set to "much below average" for future market conditions.

I've also found this retirement calculator to be a comfort as I get older:

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/
The value in I-ORP wasn't its ability to calculate withdrawal rates. There are plenty of good solutions available out there that do that. Rather, what it brought to the party was that it was one of the few of the few free tools out there that could help you optimize Roth conversions as well.

There are free tools out there that will help you analyze a Roth conversion strategy, like RPM available over on bogleheads. But you have to show up with your own strategy.

A bogleheads member created a spreadsheet for Roth optimizations. I played with an earlier version of it and there were some things I didn't like about it, but I haven't played around with the latest one.

Thread and link to his spreadsheet are here: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365518

Beyond that, the only other solutions I'm aware of charge a fee or are overly simplistic.

Cheers,
Big-Papa
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
ORP Back in Operation
Old 12-30-2022, 06:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

ORP Back in Operation

While browsing the web I noticed ORP is back up and running.

Not sure what happened, but it is operating.

Per the site, it reflects the 2020 Federal Tax Tables. Despite this, IMO it's still a wonderful tool for an big picture examination of your financial condition.

If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else - Yogi Berra
schenbew is offline   Reply With Quote