Join Early Retirement Today

What have I done?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

What have I done?

Hola Todos!
I just opened my first account with T Rowe, I am DCA $100 into PRMSX, and $100 into PRNEX.

I am a single full time student (27), I have 35 years until FIRE, I beg borrow and steal to make $27K, (hence the full time student-part :-) and am probably doing this all wrong, but heck, gotta start somewhere.
fatman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fatman,
Welcome.

So you have a natural resources fund (PRMSX) and an emerging markets fund (PRNEX). Both pretty volatile, but as you say, you have to start somewhere.

There are probably other ways to start investing $200 a month, but if you are comfortable with that amount not being available (it can go down), it's a start. I'd encourage you to start reading about investing (anything by Jack Bogle) so as you can begin to make other choices with your money later on.

-- Rita
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hola Fatman and welcome!

You're saving, regularly, that's a great start. Keep reading the forum -- there are a lot a good FAQs available and lots of folks posting good information. Educate yourself over time and you'll be able to tune your investment strategy.

Are you investing in an IRA?

I do think you've picked a great time to start buying.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Fatman.

Just had a conversation with one of my team; she is 26 and has been investing for a few years: "I've got an emergency fund, but the rest is all going into high risk stuff (read: a balanced fund) and I'm not touching it for 30 years. I'm not looking at my statements".

There is hope for Generation Y!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman22 View Post

I am a single full time student (27), I have 35 years until FIRE, I beg borrow and steal to make $27K, (hence the full time student-part :-) and am probably doing this all wrong, but heck, gotta start somewhere.
You might be surprised that you don't have to wait until you are 62. I started investing when I was about the same age as you and I made less and lived in very expensive cities. The key for me was that I always made those investment 'payments' to myself and I always lived below my means. Also, I made a lot of mistakes along the way but time and consistency smoothed over all those issues so that today -- in midlife -- I can see it all get flushed down the National Money Hole. But hey, I did my part. You might be starting out at a very propitious time since the market might actually be near a bottom. Good luck and welcome.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome.

As noted, now is the time to start. And maybe you won't have to wait 35 years to FIRE.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Administrator

Bienvenidos El Gordo:

Sounds like you have made the most important step of all - realizing that you need to plan for the future. Now, just LBYM, save and invest regularly and I'll bet you won't need to wait 35 years.

Best wishes,

Gumby
Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

cliche du jour - "the race is often won by taking the first step."

welcome and good to see you have a plan.
stick around - there are some very smart folks here and we will often post links to resources for planning and strategies.
ask any and all questions.

cliche du jour, part II - the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, it is a Roth IRA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Hola Fatman and welcome!

You're saving, regularly, that's a great start. Keep reading the forum -- there are a lot a good FAQs available and lots of folks posting good information. Educate yourself over time and you'll be able to tune your investment strategy.

Are you investing in an IRA?

I do think you've picked a great time to start buying.

Coach
Yes, It is a Roth IRA. Thank you everyone for your greetings. I am reading some the FAQ sections now. (This place is great, of all the time I've spend online in the last few years, If i'd only been here instead of facebook, & youtube.
fatman22 is offline   Reply With Quote