Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cut back from 7 Netflix to 5 Netflix. I tried 3 out at a time, but I felt either deprived or poor (I can't remember which---maybe both). Five seems to satisfy. I don't drink beer.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I ain't done no nuthin!

But I'm serious thinking of moving to a cheaper apartment. Wasted over $4k a year for the last 4 years by being month to month renter. Apartment offered me 2 months free rent 4 years ago at $1,200 a month...I stayed month to month and been paying $1500 a month

I think I'm going to cut my landline. $30 a month and I don't use it.

Cut my cable 7 years ago and don't miss it at all with MLB and NBA league pass
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
anyone go down to one car? and if so how did that work? any other 'tricks' you've done to make FIRE work for you?
We are considering 1 vehicle in retirement.

I have NO CAR...but paying AAA $600 a year for non-owner insurance...and we drove 3 times the past year .

Think I'll cancel this month and save myself that $600 a year.

By the way, waiting for the bus is kind of rough, I had people yell at me from their car "Get a car, loser!!! POOR AZZ MUTHA FFFFFERS WAITING FOR DA BUSS"

The same people laughing at me are the same people living on government assistance while driving a $30k car and wearing $300 shoes...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why non-owner insurance? I went without a car for 15 years and never had that. When you rent a car, it comes with insurance. When you borrow a friends car, you're insured on his.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #85
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
I ain't done no nuthin!

But I'm serious thinking of moving to a cheaper apartment. Wasted over $4k a year for the last 4 years by being month to month renter. Apartment offered me 2 months free rent 4 years ago at $1,200 a month...I stayed month to month and been paying $1500 a month

I think I'm going to cut my landline. $30 a month and I don't use it.

Cut my cable 7 years ago and don't miss it at all with MLB and NBA league pass
Mate,
Seems to me you could do with a serious look at your expense budget and save heaps if you rationalize.
Appears to be a lot of fat there to be trimmed.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Mate,
Seems to me you could do with a serious look at your expense budget and save heaps if you rationalize.
Appears to be a lot of fat there to be trimmed.
I probably can trim $10k off the expense and not miss it. But I'm still saving $50k a year, so I guess that's why I haven't looked hard at cutting expense.
Got my AMEX annual summary and can't believe I wasted $30k last year(and $25k the year before).

Probably would be FI by now if I tried harder.

I'm interested in the Home Brewing thing though! Spending almost $1k a year on beer alone
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Why non-owner insurance? I went without a car for 15 years and never had that. When you rent a car, it comes with insurance. When you borrow a friends car, you're insured on his.
It's the insurance if you hit someone and they want to sue you. The rental car insurance coverage only cover the car itself, which most CC automatically cover... but not if you hit someone.

Anyway, I'm wasting money on it and I'm going to cancel it this month when it's up
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #88

You can get liability coverage from the rental co too. And some credit cards have it.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Frugal seems to me to be about making the best use of our resources. I think Joe D said that in YMOYL. To me, resources is not only our money, but the hours we have left to live. And being frugal is enjoying both to the maximum extent we can.

Anyway, we try to do the things in the list, and can even do better on cutting expenses.

Another thing we do is cut back on Mexican food, salt, oil, meat, chips, and eating crap, exercise more, and eat a lot more salads, fruits, nuts, and beans instead. DW and I figure a heart attack and the medications and tests every year will be pretty expensive. Not to mention that it would lessen on of the main resources we have - the years left of HEALTHY living. If we save money, but just have to spend it on medical bills because we ate too much Mexican food, what good have we done ourselves ?
Grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
is she frugal with words as well?

Couldn't live with n one that gives you a ear bashing 24 x 7 irrespective of how much money she saves
Pretty frugal with words - has the ability to kill with a withering glance however
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #91
Dryer sheet wannabe

Some of the things done over the last 3 years:
-Switched much of grocery shopping to Aldi
-Got rid of land line and now using Ooma (had to replace 2 boxes, 1 of which was covered under warranty, still a big savings)
-Still have no cable
-Rarely go to restaurants, unless work related
-Using Savers thrift stores for used clothing and shoes, I like their organizing stuff by size compared to other thrift stores where sizes are all mixed up.
-Use Costco and Sams instead of mall stores
-Use Amazon instead of mall stores
-Do majority of car maintenance, had to back off a couple times when wife's car needed work and I was on business travel
- Organized some vacations to be tied into end of business travel, saving one airfare, and some hotel costs for wife as she tours while I work, wife has gotten to Florida, France this way.
- Continued staying in the same small house purchased a couple decades ago instead of upgrading
Increased savings from 40% to 50% of gross income
-on the downside, 2 years ago rented storage for some of the stuff that was taking up too much space in the house, I need to work on this.
Brew
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
It depends on whether the comparison is to Busch light in cans or to $5 pints at a pub. I do 5 gallons for around $45 in grain, yeast, and hops, so that's a little more than $1 a pint. I have about $800-$1000 in equipment that I've brewed about 50 - 5 gallon batches (about 2000 pints). So add another $0.50 per pint for equipment for a total of $1.50 - $1.70 a home brewed pint.

So I'm saving a little when compared to the cost of microbrews but I can't match the cost of a miller/coors/Busch.
What time should we be over
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #93

Fun thread! Here are some of our biggies:

We've always shared a single car.
Buy the car with cash, drive it as long as possible. Never had a car payment.
Buy housewares (bedding, towels) at Ross.
Use the library system (ebooks make it easy!)
Dates are usually long scenic walks, or a $5 online movie rental and homemade popcorn.
Buy quality products that last. (Got an Oreck vacuum, not a cheapie that will break in a year.)
No cable for 10 years. Use Netflix supplemented with purchasing an occasional season of a show through Xbox.
Use company perks, such as the coupon card offered through hubby's work. (Half price restaurants, cell phone plan discounts)
Cheap Fun: Board game nights with friends.
Donate to your local museums, then visit regularly using your "membership". (Cheap fun, continued...)
Ooma for landline.
Business meetings via Skype. (Huge time & gas savings)
Move to a walkable city, and leave your car parked for days or weeks at a time.
Minimize cost & hassle of owning things. (French Press = No Filters)
Big Downsize - went from big country house to small city condo. Made several thousand bucks selling our unneeded stuff on craigslist. Commuting, utility, and other costs went markedly down.
Refinanced the home twice as rates fell.
Bought a new home when the market crashed and people were freaking out. (Ooh honey! Housing is on sale!)
Use credit card points to buy gifts during the holidays.
Dye hair at home. (Tip - use the same products they do at the salon, not that boxed up grocery store stuff)

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Did not buy an expensive home live in a modest one in a nice but not wealthy town. Single best decision I ever made… I would still be working if I fell victim to buying what I could "afford"

Worked with my children when they were young (reading, music, homework) they all got academic scholarships (total value > $500,000)

Cook all my own meals and do not purchase packaged (pre-cooked) foods

When working took commuter rail to work which my employer paid for

Purchase cars with cash and run them into the ground… Bought a diesel pickup truck a few years ago I expect to get 20+ years out of it.

Made all my own wooden furniture (everytime I see something in a store I think how much cheaper I can make it for) Not the best furniture but it is very functional.

Do all my own work around the house (Painting / Gardening / Snow removal / Lawn cutting and care /general repairs) I do save significant electrical and plumbing for the pros

Enjoy activities which are free or low cost (Running, hiking, swimming, bicycling, weightlifting (my own dumbells), kayaking)

Almost never go to restaurants at my expense (I worked in a corporate world where I had enough restaurant meals for life)

We do all the small things like managing our recurring bills (Cable,phone etc.) but the big financial decisions really make a huge diffrence.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Go to the jet self service lane when I refuel my G6.
Buy osetra rather than the beluga caviar.
Hand wash myself my Rolls Royce.
Keep my yacht speed at a steady 35 knots.
That reminds me of the time we got off the plane and pushed the Citation back to its parking spot in Aruba. Saved all kinds of money!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
What time should we be over
Anytime - I just tapped a fresh keg of pale ale. (not this morning - 2 nights ago)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
anyone go down to one car? and if so how did that work? any other 'tricks' you've done to make FIRE work for you?
Yes. After 2 years, I sold my BMW convertible, and we have survived with one SUV by using the calendar to resolve potential conflicts. Use the bus where practical even when the car is available.

Also got down to one Visa/one MC with partner cards. MJ for LD.

Use craigslist for both acquisitions and getting rid of stuff.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
anyone go down to one car?
We've managed to go from four (car, SUV, pickup truck, motorhome) to three when we sold the motorhome. We will stay with three until the car gives out then down to two. Don't plan on going to one until the point only one of us has the mental capacity/eyesight to keep driving.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #99
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
We had no car for most of the last decade. We drew major bus lines to work on a map and found an apartment that was easy access to bus and walking distance to grocery stores and library. I biked to work regularly and to most places within 10 miles if going solo, or would hop on the bus with the DW. I don't think I could ever own a car again, its an amazing amount of hassle. Zipcar filled the void if we ever needed a car, which was maybe a couple times a year.

Now we live out of our backpacks, so no room for a car
gocurrycracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

The precise things a frugal person does or does not do vary by person. BUT, IMHO, the common factor is that we each recognize that, **THIS DOLLAR** (in my hand), I can only spend one time. Then it is gone forever. There may be more (next payday, next retirement check, whatever), but THAT one is gone. Period. When you realize that, you kind of think, is [this opportunity] the one where I want to spend that dollar. Cause I only get one chance.

I think that at least subconsciously guides us frugal folk.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote