What have you done to be frugal?

I think a lot of this depends on how comfortable you are financially and also where you live. I (but not my SO) could live in less space... if I lived in a much more temperate climate and could be outside more of the year.

It also cuts down on clothing expense - no winter coats, no snow boots.. No snowblower, either. :D

Our culture as work work work buy buy buy as pointed out earlier....when i look at what we throw out (versus recyle or compost) it is about 1cubic foot every 3 weeks...while our Jones neighbors have full trash cans and cardboard boxes every single week that overflow! We don't deprive oursleves...we drink great wine, eat good healthy food and love saving!

You can't believe all the things people buy in cold climates...4wheelers they only use to drive around the neighborhood, ski's- and the exoensive lift tix that go with that...i think when you can't enjoy warm weather you buy more..seatlle consumption is unreal

Go to the jet self service lane when I refuel my G6.
Buy osetra rather than the beluga caviar.
Hand wash myself my Rolls Royce.
Keep my yacht speed at a steady 35 knots.

I don't do anything different now than I've done for the last 30 years. That's why I have enough to FIre.

+1

In our view being frugal starts with a budget, and sticking with a budget over the long haul. In fact, our frugality in the early years and over time is why we can afford to be a little less frugal now.

Lot's of great ideas presented already. One that we will be trying is co-operative living. Basically the sharing of the house, shared services (e.g.utilities), shared stuff e.g. (furniture), etc. Not sure how we will like it but we have been considering it for a while. Why does everyone have their own lawnmower, tools, etc ? We will only make a small dent in some of these shared things since it will be 4 of us and clearly more people could participate. But, it seems like a step in the right direction.

We've done none of the things specifically listed by OP, however we religiously live below our means without depriving ourselves of what we enjoy such as traveling, eating out and going to the movies.

But to answer the original question, we live in a house that is a third of the price that the mortgage broker said we could afford, we keep our cars until they are no longer economically the right thing to do, and biggest of all we fired our financial advisor and are now DIY investors. That last change alone is saving us thousands each year.

Last edited:
I'm not going to make a list, but I've done many of the things already mentioned. I definitely shop more carefully and try to buy good quality items at a discount. I have disciplined myself to separate wants from needs. For example, I no longer need to delegate cleaning my home.

One of the most important things I do is to budget. Right now I am considering getting custom slipcovers made for my living room furniture, but the budget says "no". Never mind, I can look forward to buying them in the future (perhaps after the car is paid for).

Another is to reduce the temptation to spend frivolously. So I avoid malls and junk mail, both paper and electronic. I also try to use frequent flyer points and loyalty points to my advantage. For example, last year I had a free Caribbean cruise and a long distance flight. Just recently I got a superb new set of cookware for free.

As I live miles from most family members, there is little reason to buy souvenirs on trips. You know, the item you buy abroad because it would be a perfect gift for someone, and you buy another one for yourself because it's a bargain, and the bus is leaving so you have to make your mind up, and when you get home, you realize how hideous it is? Well, I'm done with that kind of impulse buying. I can now explore an interesting market and come out with nothing but a photograph. Ten years ago I would have bought jewelry, but I have enough.

Last edited:
Friday we bought some art we liked via Craigslist - paid the asked for price, which was about 1/4 art show price. Saturday morning yard sales gleaned a goodly amount of Roundup and applicator for $3, later a thrift store had it's semi-annual 1/2 off sale - scored bags of clothes and she scored Wallace silverplate and platters and such for her mall space. Spent about 1/2 what we spent Friday on Saturday. Monday we will be looking at funding 1/2 a new construction house as an investment - different than our normal lending, should be entertaining. Anticipate spending much more on that adventure, but it's really just about the same as buying $1 T shirts.

Our culture as work work work buy buy buy as pointed out earlier....when i look at what we throw out (versus recyle or compost) it is about 1cubic foot every 3 weeks...while our Jones neighbors have full trash cans and cardboard boxes every single week that overflow! We don't deprive oursleves...we drink great wine, eat good healthy food and love saving!

This is a perfect example of how people are very individual in what they value and what they consider a waste of money. Me? I've saved a ton of money by not drinking alcohol. I think it is a total waste and would never spend anything on it whatsoever. On the other hand, I wouldn't ever consider not paying for trash service.

Taking public transportation or biking could possibly cut down on auto insurance, definitely on gas. Drying clothes on a rack or outside when the weather is good.

I love it! And don't forget, a 2-carat diamond does not necessarily cost 2x as much as a 1-carat diamond of similar quality. Sometimes it is quite a bit less than 2x. :LOL::cool::LOL:

Amethyst

Go to the jet self service lane when I refuel my G6.
Buy osetra rather than the beluga caviar.
Hand wash myself my Rolls Royce.
Keep my yacht speed at a steady 35 knots.

I am not that frugal by many people's standard, but this is of no concern to me since I still lived well below my means and attained FI in my 30's. I don't waste money on luxurious cars or houses which are of no interest to me. I don't buy or keep anything that is neither functional, beautiful, nor a family heirloom. I keep clutter at a strict minimum. To avoid temptation, I don't watch TV commercials, filter out internet ads and commercial emails, and immediately recycle all the commercial stuff coming through the mail. I don't pay for the convenience of having someone do something I can do myself (no financial advisor, tax preparer, house cleaner, gardener, etc...).

being new gadget averse, using up./ wear out your stuff, brown bagging your lunch, driving a car that gets 35+ mpg, bag cable and put up a tv antenna....

staying healthy, exercise, maintain a healthy weight...

We did many of the items already mentioned like dropping the land line.

We have saved the most money by adopting a greener, low waste (can't get to zero), sustainable living lifestyle (drying racks, LED bulbs, cooking from scratch, etc.). Looking for ways to have a more sustainable lifestyle has become an enjoyable hobby for us as well as a way to save money. I get a lot of books from the library looking for more ideas on more ways to go green / shop local.

This is a perfect example of how people are very individual in what they value and what they consider a waste of money. Me? I've saved a ton of money by not drinking alcohol. I think it is a total waste and would never spend anything on it whatsoever. On the other hand, I wouldn't ever consider not paying for trash service.

Thank heavens we're all different! I'm reading this thread sipping a real fruit piña colada made with a great rum. While we're not alcoholics by any stretch I can't imagine not having a line item in the budget for alcohol.

We aren't frugal now but in the beginning got by on very little. Putting time and effort into finding low cost alternatives paid off. The single more important thing would be saving and paying cash for everything.

More recently, the biggest act of frugality was getting the kids out of the house.

For me its more about saying no to things I could otherwise afford, and generally not trying to keep up with the Jones. For example, some of my friends in my general income group drive luxury cars, have premium cable, large houses with pools, buy new clothes all the time, go for manicures weekly, etc. I *could* do these things if I didn't want to FIRE at 55, but instead I drive a normal car and keep it for 10+ years, have basic cable, live in 900 SF condo, skip the manicures and shopping trips, etc.

being new gadget averse, using up./ wear out your stuff, brown bagging your lunch, driving a car that gets 35+ mpg, bag cable and put up a tv antenna....

staying healthy, exercise, maintain a healthy weight...

Great points...we hike daily and eat great..plan is to NOT need prescription meds which can cost a lot in retirement!

I picked up this book today:

Ramen to the Rescue Cookbook: 120 Creative Recipes

Now I am sure that I can have a successful, worry free and tasty ER.

If I drop a jar of peanut butter on the floor, I strain out the glass shards before using it. :LOL: (Sorry, old one)

+1

Hair cutting is a real skill. Some of us are just no darn good at it.
(DON'T ask me how I know that :blush:)

I would not dream of taking a scissors to my own hair. But my mother (who was not a hairdresser) always cut my father's hair. He kept it short and they decided to give it a try after a barber gave Dad a bad haircut. Mom did a much better job!

Back
Top Bottom