What were your signals?

TNBigfoot

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, for those of you very close or just into retirement. What were your mental signals (beyond financial) it was time to retire.

I can't decide if;
a) I'm reaching a new level of laziness not seen before, or
b). It's time to pull the plug on work.

Last edited:
Too many other things I wanted to do, but couldn't because of work time constraints.

I was going on 4 years after my wife died and the frequency of my weeping was getting less.

Uh, finding myself in tears 2 or 3 days a week as I parked the truck to hop onto the commuter train.

Yeah..getting there. What would you estimate you efficiency level at work was at in the last year?

Yeah..getting there. What would you estimate you efficiency level at work was at in the last year?

Extremely high. I knew enough to run rings around people 3 or 4 levels up in my chain of command. I was THE credibility with our major "client" and was the only one who could translate what they were saying so that my superiors could understand it and make intelligible decisions. I set up the program, tweaked it as necessary and could have done the job on quarter time. The massive bureaucracy and inefficiency of the organization would not allow that to happen. Must be at your desk at specified hours (despite the full work-on-the-road technological enablement in place), must complete the pointless 8 page form in triplicate, must sit through pointless and excruciating conference calls every day, must be on-site on the road for weeks at a time even though 90% of the work could be done at my desk/home, etc.

As for my not giving a flying reproductive act level the last year...

Extremely high. I knew enough to run rings around people 3 or 4 levels up in my chain of command. I was THE credibility with our major "client" and was the only one who could translate what they were saying so that my superiors could understand it and make intelligible decisions. I set up the program, tweaked it as necessary and could have done the job on quarter time. The massive bureaucracy and inefficiency of the organization would not allow that to happen. Must be at your desk at specified hours (despite the full work-on-the-road technological enablement in place), must complete the pointless 8 page form in triplicate, must sit through pointless and excruciating conference calls every day, must be on-site on the road for weeks at a time even though 90% of the work could be done at my desk/home, etc.

As for my not giving a flying reproductive act level the last year...

Maybe I'm closer to your situation...feel I can do what I do in half the time but the work ethic says I need to be at the desk 8 hrs.

OK, for those of you very close or just into retirement. What were your mental signals (beyond financial) it was time to retire.

I can't decide if;

If you are financially independent and can easily afford to retire, and if you want to retire, I wonder what is keeping you there.

With 8 months to go until retirement, I'm currently having my 4th bad cold since August 2016. I usually have one cold a year. Perhaps it is a mental signal that it is time to retire since my lowered immunity might be stress related?

I was just going through the motions at work. Had a very short attention span on everything other than researching our new retirement locale and planning new activities. I have enough of a work ethic to continue doing my job, but I honestly could have cared less. I sold my soul years ago for more money, but got little satisfaction, so when I became eligible for my pension, I decided it was time to go live my life. Gave my notice in June and my last day is next week!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm closer to your situation...feel I can do what I do in half the time but the work ethic says I need to be at the desk 8 hrs.

You'll have to do some naval-gazing. In the end, the immense frustration combined with the damage the constant travel was doing to my family and I was enough to convince me to move on. I would have liked to have held on for a bigger pile, but I am now fairly happily semi-retired and would only go back if I were desperate.

I can't decide if;

I asked myself one question: Have you ever heard of anyone lying on their deathbed, saying 'I wish I'd spent more time at the office'?

I've also wondered if it's just laziness. But frankly, I've been busier since I retired than I ever was at work. Even so, looking back on my career and life, I think I've earned a little "down time."

If you love your job, keep doing it! If it's starting to get old, do something different.

I guess for me, it was knowing that I COULD retire that tipped the scales. I hung on for one extra year, just to build up a little buffer. But in the end I couldn't justify spending any more time doing the same old thing, knowing there was a viable option.

For most of my 36-year career, there had always been something new and exciting. The job changed almost every year. But toward the end, the new stuff didn't excite me. The more things change, the more they stay the same. It was time to go.

It's been six months. No regrets so far.

Thanks for the great comments. I see myself in many of these as well. Primarily...not excited about the same old same old after 37 years and ready to do something different.

Too many other things I wanted to do, but couldn't because of work time constraints.

+1 Work was unfulfilling, and I couldn't pursue things that would provide that fulfillment while I was sitting at a desk. So I spent a lot of time sitting at my desk reading this forum, then I was really prepared when I pulled the plug.

I was going on 4 years after my wife died and the frequency of my weeping was getting less.

A lot the same for me. I retired about 4 years after DW's death. I had been on vacation for about a month then worked a couple of weeks on day shift. Then I switched to night shift and just couldn't function or stay awake. I figured I was just getting too old to do the shift work. I decided that it was time to go that night and gave my minimum 30 days notice in the morning. I was financially set, but waiting for DS to graduate from college. That was in 2013. Its a good thing I didn't wait for DS. He is still plugging away at the degree.

Yeah, work helped me to not grieve so bad as I had something else to think about, so it was useful to that end. Then Pops died and I really wanted to "start my new life" as everyone in my old life was dead.

Yeah, work helped me to not grieve so bad as I had something else to think about, so it was useful to that end. Then Pops died and I really wanted to "start my new life" as everyone in my old life was dead.

Congratulations on doing a good job on the new life. I'm still in more of a holding pattern with respect to relationships. Building a house by yourself and relationships just wouldn't mix...

Signals? I thought the OP was talking about stock buying/selling signals.

Watch this forum, and one can get some good signals. When people are in an exuberant mode, or when there's a lot of teeth grinding and gnashing, you know what to do.

That name and an Arkansas location! (TN resident here.)

For us, we are tired of not seeing each other, not being able to take long vacations, and not having weekends and many holidays off. (Cutting back hours isn't an option and the two jobs don't mix well with each other for planning...) DW also has started to feel the all-nighters more now that she is in her 50s; when they hit, the next day can be grueling.

Two years ago it became apparent that we were closing in on "enough" and we gave notice. Counting down now...

...Must be at your desk at specified hours (despite the full work-on-the-road technological enablement in place), must complete the pointless 8 page form in triplicate, must sit through pointless and excruciating conference calls every day, must be on-site on the road for weeks at a time even though 90% of the work could be done at my desk/home, etc.

+1 Work was unfulfilling, and I couldn't pursue things that would provide that fulfillment while I was sitting at a desk. So I spent a lot of time sitting at my desk reading this forum, then I was really prepared when I pulled the plug.

Yep, this pretty much covers it! W*rk, for all the usual reasons, was going downhill for at least 6 years, with the last 2 years being the worst. When I first started working I knew I wouldn't make it in the corporate world into my 60's. It wasn't a good fit for my personality and I had other things I wanted to do. When things got especially bad at w*rk, I realized that DW and I were close to FIRE. I made a 1 year exit plan, and the rest was just execution. :dance:

Two years into retirement, and we've never looked back!

Oh, I used to think that I was a "hard worker". Now I'm learning to let this go and just do what I really want, even if it's nothing, at least by other people's standards.

Last edited:
Biggest signal was when the boss turned over the company reigns to his son. The son's plans included getting rid of employees over 50. I made that easier for him.

A couple of mental milestones for me this year:
- I turn 59, and it mentally I feel good about being able to retire before 60.
- Our youngest child should be graduating from college. That final college bill means the end of major financial commitments to our kids. The remaining obligation is not large(around $12K), and wouldn't hinder me from retiring if the kid does need additional term or so (which would be part time as it would only be 1 or 2 courses).

When I fell from a 6' ladder for a second time in 3 month with scratches and bruises (likely did not break anything or worse), I decided to quit a highly physically demanded job (HVAC tech). I tried for another 6 month to find a sedentary job in related field but being 55 had no luck. Then I realized it is time.

I'm getting the signals loud and clear now. Too many years of shift work have taken a toll. It's harder to get adequate rest.

The job is interesting, but I just don't enjoy it like I used to. Every calculator and spreadsheet says I'm good to go (Firecalc 100%).

Back
Top Bottom