Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Experience as a novice investor taught me whenever I zig I usually end up wishing I had zagged, so I'm better off doing nothing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If my guy doesn't get elected, I'm sure that I will sell everything, then lose it all Vegas and end up "eating a steady diet of government cheese, thrice divorced, and living in a van down by the river!" (SNL Chris Farley skit)

Not really. I'll do nothing just like I have in all other elections. Timing the market will work for some, for a few trades, but very few if any can lay claim to winning over the long term no matter what the political environment was.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketjockey View Post
Agree that "They" and "Many" are full of it. Check out actual by presidency here

https://www.macrotrends.net/2614/sp5...-election-date
Interesting link. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have ensured we have 6 to 9 months of living expenses available in cash or short term bond funds. Also have made minor asset allocation adjustments to be a little more conservative given our concerns with impacts of elections and unrest in the country. But these are things specifically called for in our financial plan so we are just following our own written guidance.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #25

Anything I would do has already been done. There is enough in cash to last many years. If it doesn't then the country will have been in deep in trouble. Anything in stocks will take care of my children for their retirement if I just leave it alone. If the market drops 50% they will still have a good nest egg. If it does drop I would be tempted to buy a few shares.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGuy42 View Post
My wife an I decided last weekend that with all of the potential volatility - elections, colder weather + covid - that we would cash out enough living expenses to carry us through till 2022 since the market had more or less fully recovered from March. We made the trade on this Wednesday.

We had no idea that the market would drop so severely on thur/fri - just dumb luck.

But now we have cash on hand to live on until feb 2022 and will change nothing about our AA for the remaining. It'll auto-rebalance as needed from time to time, but it is in there for the long haul.
It was your fault it dropped!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I won’t change anything, I’m a long term investor, not a market timer/trader. There’s no strong correlation between presidential elections and the market. “Many” and “they” aren’t reliable sources. YMMV

Totally agree
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #28

If it drops then DCA would help on the buy.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote