Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What would you do?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca
I am considering some ideas. They don't appear to be great money-makers, but they would be immensely satisfying. The trade-off is whether making a positive contribution for a little money is better than making a large negative contribution for a lot of money* * This is one of the questions I have the privilege to ponder these days...*

socca, my wife is primarily a stay-at-home mom these days. However, before she had kiddo #1, she set up a small business doing career counseling. She did so in part to stay active in her chosen field, in part for some continuing adult contact, but mostly (I think) because she enjoys helping people. She makes a little money at the business ($5k a year pre-tax, maybe), all of which gets chucked into a solo 401k, but its not the point.

I'm sure you could find something like that that is relevant to you.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So far it sounds like you don't care for the alternatives: working at a job you detest, retiring, starting a business. What about the other alternative: working at a job you like! Why not take some months to figure out what that might be? Since, according to your needs, you're already financially independent, take your time and get creative...part time? seasonal? something off-the-wall, low-paid, but gets your juices flowing? Perhpas apply your skills in a nonprofit organization.

My husband went from long hours in Silicon Valley software engineering (misery) to teaching computer science at a Southern college (delight!). And he gets 4 months off per year.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
So far it sounds like you don't care for the alternatives: working at a job you detest, retiring, starting a business. What about the other alternative: working at a job you like! Why not take some months to figure out what that might be? Since, according to your needs, you're already financially independent, take your time and get creative...part time? seasonal? something off-the-wall, low-paid, but gets your juices flowing? Perhpas apply your skills in a nonprofit organization.
My first love is actually software engineering, although many modern companies think that SE is too lowly an activity for senior engineers, so they turn them into systems engineers. Systems engineering is not anywhere near as interesting (to me). I've been nurturing a hobby project in artificial intelligence for quite some time that could eventually be a huge commercial success or a stunning failure - depends where the research goes. I also enjoy wireless air interface protocol engineering, and I've done some management. I have a couple of books in mind that I'd like to write and self-publish. Book writing and self-publishing alone could keep me happily occupied for all of 2006.

If I do go the entrepreneurial route, I'm not worried about keeping busy. I've been studying the entrepreneurial world for many years, but have never had the guts to take the plunge. Maybe it's time for baby bird to leave the nest*

P.S. Today is one of my "go for it!!" days. Tomorrow might be a "don't be crazy - head back to grindstone" day.*
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca

P.S. Today is one of my "go for it!!" days. Tomorrow might be a "don't be crazy - head back to grindstone" day.
I go back and forth the same way. It looks like you have plenty of skills. Given your savings and your skills, I wouldn't take the transfer you don't want anyway.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey wait - I'm in Oklahoma. I have to admit that Texas does screw up easy access to the beach from here.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I've found book writing and self publishing to be very satisfying (much more than my full-time job that pays the bills).

If you do it right, you can self publish without investing a fortune.

John
Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #27

And the winner is....

I took a look at what my resume and finances would look like at year-end 2006, and decided that accepting the transfer would be the best move. Thanks to everyone for letting me air my dirty laundry on-line*

This recent mini-layoff and soul-searching has been a real eye-opener. Lots of lessons learned and new perspectives. I didn't even know that I'm basically FI until this latest experience.

Tomorrow was going to be my first day since 1987 that I would walk this planet beholden to no man, woman, or institution of any kind. Since I accepted the transfer today, I'm still under the yoke for the forseeable future*

P.S. I'm not moving to OK - I was using an analogy to mask my real destination. Like Dick Cheney, I'm moving to an "undisclosed location"*
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, he came back... :P

Good luck!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote