Join Early Retirement Today

What would you do?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What would you do?

Well, I've reached a point in my life where I'm thinking it's time to retire. Present job has way too much long distance travel. I'm in my early fifties. I lost an older brother to cancer last year. Would like to smell the roses for the last third of life! Still have three early teens at home, but they've each got $80K of their own college money, with five or six years to go.
I have been a businessman for 30 years. Wife is seven years junior. She stopped working a year ago to spend time with the kids. No debt. Over $3M in investments at 60/40 bonds and stocks, plus house is paid for, and worth $500K. The medical insurance situation is a pain, as the State of MA does not allow HSA's as an approved option for mandated health insurance, and the State fines you if you don't have a state approved medical plan with all the liberal bells and whistles. (Romney pushed that through, by the way). So, we've got to factor in $1200 per month for health insurance. Thinking we can live on $90K per year, with that factored in. Firecalc shows almost 100% assuredness. What would you do?
pickninthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would retire, of course! But not before planning what to do all day!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since you are apparently in a position to do whatever you want to do, I think that's exactly what you should do.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Administrator

I always take REW's advice.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

What REW said.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

BBB

Well, you have certainly met all of lifes demands and earned retirement. Sounds like its YOUR time to retire and enjoy life.
I am three years past work, and its hard to portray just how great it is.
I say this....get a BaseBall Bat and go out and knock the rearview mirrors off of your traveling car, and dont look back!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Come on in!! The water's fine.

And welcome to the Early Retirement Forum.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickninthepines View Post
What would you do?
Humpf!
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. What is your worst fear about jumping in?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, let me see....

I'm mid-50s, DH is 7 years older. We are buying a paid for house in 10 days (still need to sell old house), we also have teenagers (13-18). I have an extremely stressful, long hours job. We don't have 80k saved for each kid's college but we do have a number of low cost state universities and community colleges nearby.

DH is retiring in a few months and I am moving to an extremely part time (1 day a week) position in a couple of months.

Oh, we don't have $3 million either. We will have a paid for house and about $1.2 million plus subsidized retiree medical and DH's SS.

In your situation....I wouldn't wait at all.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #11

I appreciate yours, and everyone's kind responses. No major fears, just my conservative upbringing causing me to wonder if I'm being selfish by leaving a perfectly good position at a young age. My parents never saved a dime, and there were some tight times as a kid. I'd probably worry about running out of money, even if I had $100MM socked away! I've got plenty to keep myself busy with, including kids in school, sports, and a lot of hobbies, so I'm not worried about the mental adjustment. Thanks Again.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickninthepines View Post
No major fears, just my conservative upbringing causing me to wonder if I'm being selfish by leaving a perfectly good position at a young age.
Millions in the US are looking for work and you have the opportunity to create a job opening for one of them. What's selfish about that?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Move to Beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine. For the price of your current house you could buy a palace.

Z
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Because you are in a position to leave the job you have think about what you have been telling your self, "If only..."

When you retire you don't need to sit on your tush, you can do what YOU want with your time.

Start making a list then talk to your spouse. The biggest adjustment is sorting out territory.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Retire immediately.
If you are receiving some sort of fulfillment or non-financial suport at w*rk, you should hesitate, then retire.
Also, once retired, you do not need to be tied to your residence in the state of MA, with high healthcare costs. You can move to many othe rbeautiful locations. You have the means to stay or go. you have lots of great choices and no pressure to make them quickly.
Congratulations!
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I would retire, of course! But not before planning what to do all day!
You're clearly ready in terms of $.

IMO, "planning what to do all day" is all that stands between you and retirement. It's more important to have something to retire to, than just to retire from something. What you retire to can be whatever you want, but if you're like most people you'll quickly become bored with doing nothing at all - you could become miserably bored. There are several great books on the subject, Work Less, Live More and How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free come to mind. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #17

Beautiful area, Bar Harbor. Not sure Maine is much more retirement friendly than MA? I think when the kiddies are off on their own, we will look for a lower tax, lower cost state than MA. Everything is higher here. Electric bills are twice what they are in some states.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There may be more than living costs to consider. Are there family members you would want to be nearby? I don't mean next door, or even in the same town, but not so far away that contact is a challenge.

On the other hand, if you are in your 50s, plan a move to a fun place with the understanding that it won't be your life long residence.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Your wife was smart and retired to spend time with the kids, you should do the same. Before you know it, they will be off in college, then married with their own kids. I'm pretty sure no one regrets the time spent with their family...
Coloradoblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Move to Beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine. For the price of your current house you could buy a palace.
Z
The OP said his current house is worth $500K. And you said it would buy a palace in Bar Harbor! On the ocean, with a view? Really? I thought it would cost a lot more! On the West Coast, it would cost a whole lot more. What's the gotcha? The New England winter?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote