Join Early Retirement Today

What Would You Do?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

What Would You Do?

Never posted on a forum before so please be kind! I am 50 yrs. old - have worked in education for 24 years - can return with a full pension (although very small) at 55.

I have been off on Disability for the past two years due to degenerating discs in my neck and am on my 3rd attempt to go back to work. I've been told pain is not a disability. I beg to differ!

I enjoy my job but have found for the last several years it is not at all as busy as it used to be and I spend hours a day with absolutely nothing to do except babysit students on spares. I do enjoy the students but the days are very long!

I think I have decided now is the time to pull the plug and pay attention to my health. I know how I feel now but don't know how I will feel 5 years from now. My DH will provide all health benefits as well as a salary to me so I will be able to continue to save until Canada Pension takes over. As he is self-employed we will be able to travel whenever we wish.

Am I the only one who is feeling guilty (crazy) for walking away after 24 years?
WhatToDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, WhatToDo, I am a longtime educator and plan to retire in Dec 2013 at 59. After working with children all my adult life and learning from the successes and mistakes of others outside the classroom, IMHO only you and your husband can decide what is best for your unique situation. Look at all the factors involved and discuss every aspect with your husband. Make a plan (which it sounds like you have done), accept your feelings, work through them and move on to a wonderful life and don't look back. I hope your health improves and best wishes.
healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I work in early education and am getting so mentally and physically tired. I also have to deal with chronic pain and it is made worse by stress. I am in the admin side and we are also a nonprofit, so I feel responsible for everyone's well being, especially when all kinds of regs take up our funds and then we can't pay what we should. I will probably quit in 2-3 years, and yes, I feel a bit guilty for leaving early. It's going to be hard for someone to take over, but everyone's replaceable, I think. It sounds like you have good options, and if you are feeling as you describe, I wouldn't think twice about retiring! And WELCOME!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #4

Health comes first and being in constant pain is undermining all energy and joy.
DH has spinal issues and we understand.
He finds that it pays off in pain reduction to do a lot of exercising. But it takes time.
So we are looking forward to ER in 2013 and plan to include a lot of exercising into our daily routines.

Do not feel guilty. You do what is best for you + family. You have given to your school + students their share = all that was written in the contract while you were in contract. It is a fair deal. So you have the right to walk away without guilt.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #5

Sorry to read about your health problems. Welcome to the board.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Well, I did it! As of this Friday, September 28 I will be retired! It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make after 24 years of being a high school librarian with the same school board. In the end I have decided to listen to my health. Now I just can't wait until Friday to begin my next chapter!

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and kind words!
WhatToDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #7

Congratulations on making your decision to retire. I hope you find improved health and enjoy life in retirement. I've been in retirement land for 2+ years now and just love it!

Welcome to the board.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome and Congratulations!

Your health is important, definitely put that first. If you are able to get your pain managed in the future, you can always do some part time volunteering or something similar if you want to stay involved with kids.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations, WhaToDo. Good luck of the next chapter of your life.

Cass
CMH in CO is offline   Reply With Quote