Join Early Retirement Today

What would you do?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

What would you do?

Hi all, I have just recently discovered this forum, and it is quite interesting and exciting. I am learning a lot by reading a number of the most recent and past threads. I feel that part of learning is to put yourself in different positions and determine "what would you do?" if you were in this position.

Edit: Hypothetical man decided to take a vacation.
Eyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hypothetically, i'd begin training me as your replacement (succession planning is important!). I'd subsequently spend a year training my replacement, and create a sustainable replacement cycle 8-)
sebvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Your hypothetical early retiree wannabe needs to hire some hypothetical help to sove his hypothetical dilemma.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I'd cut my expenses and get out of there asap. IMHO time is our most precious resource. Years spent working don't come back. Death is approaching, fast.

But at this point in time, luxury seems to appeal more to you than ER, so I suppose you want to continue working for a bit.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Humor me.... where do I put in an application? -

If you are happy, not stressed, enough free time, enjoying life, etc. why change? Continue until your feelings and or priorities change.

FI = increased options for you and your family, it should not force a change in a job if you are happy. YMMV
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for the input so far.

As a disclaimer:
The above is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Eyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesman View Post
As a disclaimer:
The above is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
IOW, you want to get advice about a fairy tale?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why, then the OP can invest in magic beans and a golden goose. And live happily ever after in a gingerbread house!

Percentages work better for me than hypothetical bazillions.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #9

Welcome to the board Eyesman.

I can't answer your hypothetical question because you have only described the mechanical details of acquiring money and spending it. I'll assume that this hypothetical family has all the necessary risk planning in place (insurance, will, emergency fund, and an investment policy).

What about the rest of your life? You have the basic needs covered. This is the "and now what?" question.

What does this hypothetical family do besides go to dinner and take trips? Hobbies? Interests? What is important to the breadwinners? If they stopped working now, what would they do with the rest of their life?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

If I loved my job, I would keep working. If not, retire and find something I AM passionate about.
cinman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #11

You have to decide when enough is enough.

I think most on this board probably fired with well less than the hypothetical amounts you listed.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
You have to decide when enough is enough.

I think most on this board probably fired with well less than the hypothetical amounts you listed.
+1

Flip a coin, maybe?
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cut a zero off the salary and reduse the net worth by a bunch and you have my situation. I have a job I can coast in and aside from the business travel (which I loathe with a passion) my job is fairly easy most of the time. It still gets under my skin and I want my time back. There is so much more to do in life aside from working.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinman2000 View Post
If I loved my job, I would keep working. If not, retire and find something I AM passionate about.
+1
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
+1
+2

What has always been a mystery to me is why very wealthy people continue to work when they can easily afford not to (I'm thinking of Warren Buffett, Hank Greenberg and the like). I suspect that they continue to work because they enjoy it - good for them. While I enjoyed my work I didn't enjoy it enough to keep doing it once I could afford not to work.

I have a wealthy uncle who could easily afford to retire but still plugs away, but he has his own business and can create his own schedule. Not for me but some people are just wired differently.

The beauty of the OP's hypothetical situation is that one can pretty much do as one chooses.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would work another year or two while saving a greater percentage of my income and, at the same time, plan for my life after work.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hypothetically.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

If I were in this fairy tale, I would continue to work.

Look, with 8 weeks of vacation a year, and so much money for luxurious travel and dining out, I would get bored with so much leisure. And then, since work is so much fun and relaxing, I would go to the office just to BS with colleagues, meet with customers over a power lunch or whatever, just to get a change from endless and pointless vacations. Occasionally, I would exert my muscles and fire some guys who are just loafing and not performing to my expectations. That will teach them.

Damn! I start to sound so much like Trump. Or at least I think that's what Trump would do.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a good place to be. I know someone who makes a little under $800 k a year , lives in a 120K house and is sitting on about 4M. No kids , no fancy rides. Works like a dog, but gets paid well. Without getting real good control of the spending you fake playmate may go broke. Tell them to keep working!
pletal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #20

Unfortunately, your hypothetical man has a big ego and runs for Congress. It's not the money...it's POWER.

If Mr. Hypothetical does not have a big ego he gives charitible endowments via paidup single annuity life insurance policies, trims his lifestyle, and makes sure his kids are sheilded from the spoils of too much money.

Purpose. It's all about deciding purpose.