Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Who am I, why am I here
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who am I, why am I here

I just wanted to introduce myself before chiming in on any future threads.* I am still a worker bee but am interest in FIRE.* I am 27 years old.* Work in the financial industry (no I am not going to try to sell you anything, thats not my job).* I work for a discount broker that many of you probably use already.* Married no kids.

Thank you for a great resource.* I shall endevour to give back as much as I receive.

edit below

Oops I forgot to list some other things.
Goal is to retire as early as possible.* I am just trying to figure out the standard of living we are willing to accept.* I figure we will play that by ear.* Still trying to LBYM.* I am aided by generous co contributions to retirement plan (15%), an early start at 19, lots of time.* Things that might get in my way: wife wants to build a new house (thankfully I am in the midwest), hunt for a new job, and maybe one day kids though it would definitely be worth having them in our way.

Thanks to an early start we have about 68k in 401k, 22k in Roth, 15k in emergency funds, equity of about 25k in a house.* 0 credit card debt, car loan for app 15k, and students loans around 20k.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who am I, why am I here
Old 08-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome boutros,

I'm a 28 year old in St. Louis, so I know what you mean about the midwest price index.

Good luck on your quest. There's a handful of other youngsters (< 30) on the board, so don't feel too overwhelmed by the number of posts of the previous generations. ....although they sure do have a lot of knowledge to share.

Just out of curiosity, since you work for a broker, what's your breakdown on % in mutual funds vs % in individual stocks/ETFs?

Also, where do you have your emergency funds parked? I have some I-bonds that I consider my e-stash, which are paying fairly well...I know most people throw them in a money market, but I-bonds might offer a wee bit more.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, it sounds like you are well on your way! I have learned a lot here.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter76

Just out of curiosity, since you work for a broker, what's your breakdown on % in mutual funds vs % in individual stocks/ETFs?

Also, where do you have your emergency funds parked?
I have 100% in mutual funds at this point. I cannot invest in individual stocks with my 401k and I did not feel that I could have proper diversification with only 22k in my Roth to put into stocks. I am also heavily invested outside of the US and I tend to think that I am not qualified to evaluate a foreign company's prospects.

I keep my emergency fund at my CU at ~2%. It has all been acquired in the last 8 months and I have not really looked around for a better rate. I know Emigrant has a 3.25 or 3.5 savings. I may consider ST or mmkt Muni fund, as dinks we end up in a fairly high tax bracket.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

At least look at ING Direct for your Emergency account. Currently pays 3.4% I believe.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
At least look at ING Direct for your Emergency account. Currently pays 3.4% I believe.
Emigrant Direct current yield: 3.50%
ING current yield: 3.15%

REW