Wish I knew about this long time ago!

rogert

Confused about dryer sheets
Finally found my dream website here, full of useful information and meaningful discussion. As someone mentioned, this early retirement topic is definitely not for most people, and is difficult to find buddy in your own network of friends and coworkers. Bottom, I am 53 and I know I am too old to join this now. I am eligible for MRA at 56 but probably would work a few more years to get higher pension, etc will see. I will definitely preach this to my sons though, and hope they won't repeat my mistake. Nice to meet everyone here!

Dead is when you are too late for this site. Otherwise, you are just fine joining at your tender age:cool:

AFAIK, our members here have joined anywhere from their 30s to their 70s. All are welcome.

Do not worry about age. I will be 80 this year and still learning things from this site.
I will also be joiniong the United Flying Octogenarians in May:)

if you like this forum, (which is great), check out The Bogleheads. Congrats on finding this forum.

I "applied" here last year at 60 and was graciously welcomed. :dance:

I'm sure same will apply to you - just make sure you get your secret decoder ring. :LOL:

Welcome! I'd say you're pretty close to the middle of the age distribution curve here.

Are you staying those few more years at w*rk because you enjoy it, or to beef up the retirement kitty? I'm only asking out of curiosity, doesn't really matter either way.

Welcome. I was exactly your age when I discovered this forum but didn't feel 'too old' as my original plan was to RE at 58. "Early" retirement IMO is [-]anything under the 'normal' 65[/-], earlier than you planned, so you're way ahead of the game.

This forum has as saved me literally tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

Last edited:
This is the place where all of your SWR questions will be answered!:LOL:

j/k Welcome! There is indeed a wealth of knowledge here plus a healthy dose of goodwill.:greetings10:

I joined this site at age 54 and retired at 56. Although I didn't need help for the financial side of FIRE, I found the emotional support priceless. Welcome!

Welcome. I found this site at 56. It has helped me prepare for RE a great deal. And like you I am passing on lessons learned to my daughters....not that they will listen, but I am trying. :)

Why do you feel too old? Do you feel you're a little behind in your savings for your age? All the more reason to participate with the collective knowledge in this forum! Welcome!

Reasons I think I am late

Wow, thanks all for the support!
I have learned so much in just a few hours of reading some relevant discussion and I would have done several decisions differently if I knew then. For example, in my thirties, ER was never in my mind at all. When I moved from Los Angeles to the East Coast, I sold my townhouse as soon as I could cut my loss. I remember I was focusing "Simplifying your Life" (I actually a book for that), and very nervous of being a landlord even though I could find a tenant quite easily. Again, in my early 40's did a similar thing and sold another condo in NJ (close to the Manhantan, convenient) and made a small profit. As you all know, accumulating asset, especially with passive income (rental, dividend, etc) is important to make ER happen. I regret these all the time. People just have different priorities at different times. But I think ER should be a priority for anyone right after he/she starts working. Many other regrets may take hours to tell. Therefore, I will make sure to force my sons to have this priority or just do it for them . I just opened IRA for my son yesterday, haha wish my parents did it for me then

Welcome, this is a great site and you are never too late to the lessons available to learn here from forum members.

Therefore, I will make sure to force my sons to have this priority or just do it for them .

Good luck with that.

I found this place just in time to need it.

Best wishes.

Welcome. You will learn a lot here and it is never too late to start saving for retirement.

This is the place where all of your SWR questions will be answered!:LOL:

But- before that, we will help you understand when is the exact correct time to draw SS!

Welcome to the board!

Back
Top Bottom