Work after 50?

texascashranger

Confused about dryer sheets
I am newly retired State Correctional Officer with a good 90% Defined Benefit retirement plan. Just moved to Texas Hill Country where we built a new home. I am contemplating starting a new career but am unsure how to look based on limited past skills and only some college. Any advise?

Welcome to the forum!

I'm retired from 29 years in law enforcement, I've been contemplating your question for over five years now. A highly recommended book is What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Bolles. I think there's a retirement version out but I haven't read it.

The first year I was just on vacation, then helped a friend build an airplane for a couple of years, and after bouncing around with a couple of part time or short time jobs I ended up taking a position with a subcontractor to Homeland Security, and if they ever get the security clearance done I might even start working again. It looks like it might be a good gig, low pressure, just show up, zilch paperwork. The purpose is more for something to do and to buy toys like a travel trailer.

Be forewarned though, working again is anathema to most people on this forum...

Work after 50

Thanks for the welcome. I am very interested in what you found through Homeland Security contractor. Looking for something in San Antonio-Austin area. I appriciate any ideas you have. Thanks ,texascashranger@gmail.com

Welcome TCR, Walt is right...most of us are here because we are either happily retired or can't wait to be that way (including me). But, the way I see it, retirement is really a matter of perspective, and more related to "being able to not work for a living" than not doing some form of work, including volunteerism. Its more the condition of being able to do what you want to do, when you want to do it, including working again, or telling your boss to put his attitude where the sun don't shine...or puttering, or travelling...etc.

Good luck with figuring out what you want to do, and more importantly, why you want to do it.

R

I found the job through an ad in the newspaper, of all places. They were looking for people with prior police experience for what is basically guard duty at government installations around here, but for what I'll actually be doing (essentially just checking ID's) the pay is almost $60k/year, which in this area is outstanding, given that one can find a decent but not luxurious single-family home for just over $100k.

The "training" lasted three weeks and was all refresher stuff, I had to qualify with a 9mm, basic first aid, use of force continuum and so on. They just wanted someone qualified carry a 9mm and not do something stupid with it. So, much like police work, they're paying me for what I can do, (exercise sound judgment when the stuff hits the fan) not what I actually do. As you know, starting a riot is easy; stopping one from getting started is a lot harder. A bonus is that the installation already has it's own police department so if anything serious does materialize I won't have to do much paperwork, which I loathed when working.

The advantage to the feds is that they don't have to deal with personnel issues, if you violate any of the terms of the contract, you're gone, with little if any discussion.

It does not appear to be all that exciting but I've pretty much had my fill of that anyway, and it'll get me out to meet some people and pay some play money. My idea is to work 2 - 4 years full time to buy some toys, build up some more cash/investment reserves, buy a travel trailer and then kick back to part time. One thing I've never been able to do - responsibilities always got in the way - is just aimlessly head west until I hit the Pacific and I'd like to do that. DW has some health issues that make a travel trailer or motor home about the only way to make that happen.

It did take a while to develop the mindset to go back to work again, but it is different because working is optional and my KMA hat will be firmly in place. But since most of the people doing this work are retired law enforcement or corrections people the management knows the staff isn't about to put up with any crap so I doubt they'll even try.

And who knows, maybe it'll lead to something else....

I am newly retired State Correctional Officer with a good 90% Defined Benefit retirement plan. Just moved to Texas Hill Country where we built a new home. I am contemplating starting a new career but am unsure how to look based on limited past skills and only some college. Any advise?
You could always go work at the local SO as a jailer (might need a TCLEOSE Jailer cert for that if you don't already have one), but it sounds like you want something different. If you're looking for something related to your old field at [-]TDC[/-]TDCJ, a good source for jobs ads is Police & Law Enforcement - Officer.com Police News, Forums, Links and More for Police Officers, Law Enforcement, Corrections, Sheriffs and More

But you are living in an area experiencing a lot of growth. The Hill Country has a dearth of construction/remodeling contractors, or so I have heard repeatedly. So many folks moving there that building trades are in high demand. Prices are sky-high as well. If you lack skills you might be able to hire on with somebody already established and branch out on your own later when you feel you've picked up what you need.
It did take a while to develop the mindset to go back to work again, but it is different because working is optional and my KMA hat will be firmly in place.
I'd be interested in hearing how that works out for you. It sounds like an easy gig and the money sounds pretty decent, but you worked about as long as I did and I'm not sure I could go back to riding the big blue weenie again. My KMA attitude was bad enough before I retired, I may be completely ruined for work after being gone for a few years.

There is a guy in Houston that runs a "security firm." What he actually does is make an appointment with companies (real estate groups, law firms, hospital groups, anything) to teach professionals how to protect themself on the street, talks about high crime rates and sells them MACE. The talk is about 30 minutes or more. He has people working for him, and has been very successful at this. And he has no real security background at all like you do. To me, you have a fabulous background for something like this IF you want to be self-employed.
You do not have to resort to Walmart with your strong background in self-protection as a correctional officer, I should think. Unless Walmart hires you as head of security.

Back
Top Bottom