Working and Wondering

misanman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi Everyone. I'm a longterm "lurker" and it's time that I introduced myself.

At my age (63) I'm probably more concerned about financial independence than early retirement as it's getting a little late to retire early. I took an "early out" package from my long term employer two years ago but almost immediately took a similar job with a smaller company.

I continue to wonder (or worry) about inflation and taxes and whether we will "have enough" longterm. Although I will get a small pension and SS, I will have to depend on savings to fund much of our retirement and so I'm particularly concerned about having a good withdrawal strategy.

My current AA is 50% equities, 20% bonds, 2% MM, and 28% CDs (5 year ladder). I just got back to parity after last year's crash so I'm feeling good about that.

I'm looking forward to being more actively involved in the forum but have already benefitted already.

Welcome! :greetings10:

Does your pension have a COLA feature or is it fixed for life? Do you have the health insurance situation under control until Medicare kicks in at 65?

No COLA but health care is covered

The pension is fixed but I am entitled to continue under my former employer's health care plan until I'm Medicare eligible so that's pretty well covered. I could convert the investments into a SPIA and meet our current income requirements but we would be exposed to inflation risk and there wouldn't be much to leave to the kids. On the other hand, a withdrawal rate of 4% would leave us short on income unless we dialed back our lifestyle. Also, we aren't covered for long term care, which is a concern.

I'm about 2/3 through Otar's book which I think may help me with a strategy but I realize there is much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom