Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
And since I'm a lone voice on this here;

"Some background - he is close to 65, is considering when to stop working as a construction foreman/manager for companies that build large scale facilities, including apartments".

Stocks and bonds are not the only way to have retirement income and/or store assets. A construction background + foreman experience could make for a person well suited to own and run rental properties profitably.
For someone that is 40, that would be an excellent idea. For someone that is 65 and has no experience owning and operating properties, that might be daunting. As I get closer to that age, I think about simplifying and streamlining, including reducing the rental portfolio in favor of easy to manage assets. I would not start building a portfolio at my age today. It's too much work, and finding suitable properties in the current market is very difficult.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #22

Two options -

1) If your friend is inclined to follow your advice, learn investing basics and read a little, I would steer him to a DIY index approach at Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab.

2) If he is not, I would suggest he find a fee only fiduciary that follows the same investment approach as option 1.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
For someone that is 40, that would be an excellent idea. For someone that is 65 and has no experience owning and operating properties, that might be daunting. As I get closer to that age, I think about simplifying and streamlining, including reducing the rental portfolio in favor of easy to manage assets. I would not start building a portfolio at my age today. It's too much work, and finding suitable properties in the current market is very difficult.
Quite right. I passed 65 and do much less of the in the trenches rental stuff now - also think of cutting down on the number of rentals and making life simpler. Problem is the capital gains will cut asset value a bunch, so we would want to try and make 75% of asset dollars produce the income 100% does now. Reality is that rentals have been very good to us (like, we could pretty much sell and stick the proceeds in a mattress and live very well for the next 30 years).
We're not so constituted that we want to just get a check for a set amount every month - guess we like feeling that what we do affects what we get - I like feeling like what I do is valued by others enough for them to pay me. Having Amazon or Facebook shares bounce up or down by 5-10% because someone tweeted makes me feel like stocks are kind of like beanie babies. We do hold shares, because we have enough to do so and I accept that the rest of the world may be correct and I'm a luddite, but they feel ephemeral and the hard money loans and rentals generate the serious cash.
My thought was that the friend may be in a unique position: very familiar with construction and building systems and no stranger to physical maintenance or running a crew, which might translate to riding herd on tenants. He might also have contacts that could point him at good rentals to buy - shoot, maybe he could throw up some new rental buildings for himself?!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
.... As others said, try to help him find a fee only (not just "fee based") fiduciary FA who will look at his holdings and help him organize a plan to convert to a simple index based solution...
I suspect that Vanguard would give him such guidance for free or a small fee... and I trust that they would give him good advice. Probably similar for Fido and Schwab from what I read although I have no experience with them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I suspect that Vanguard would give him such guidance for free or a small fee... and I trust that they would give him good advice. Probably similar for Fido and Schwab from what I read although I have no experience with them.
The advice I got from Fidelity was to sign up for their Portfolio Advisory Services at 1%, and then let them trade actively managed funds throughout the year. And the Schwab advice I got was about equally worthless.

Vanguard did guide me toward their index funds without pushing advisory services, although I see they are now growing that business and may be inclined to steer business that way.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote