Wow, who knew.....figuring out early retirement would be so complicated!

For a simple dwelling, it seems to me a motorhome is not a bad choice. You travel with the season, and if you do not like your neighbors or the management, you simply move on. And unless you buy an extravagant model, used motorhomes in decent conditions are often so cheap that if you push one down a cliff every 5-10 years or so, it is still cheap living.

To the OP, the key to ER or any secure retirement is a full understanding of both your expenses and income streams. While it can be discouraging when you first begin tracking expenses, it will help you prepare for upcoming retirement decisions.

You didn't mention the income streams that you will be able to access in the next few years. However, they could include dividends, pensions, SS, sale of house(s) and spending down the investment principal. Once you determine how to turn your assets into income you can compare to your expenses. Reducing annual expenses is powerful with each $1,000 reduction in expenses meaning that your 'nest egg' requirements would drop by $25-35k.

Best of luck in moving towards retirement in the coming years.

Hey guys. I've done the FIRE cal and I'm fine. I was just irritated and complaining at the cost of some of my expenses. I called my cable and Internet provider today. I threatened to cancel and they dropped my rate by $50 a month.

I am married, my wife works. She will have SS as well. I will also have a small....in my eyes....pension.

As far as renting....uh, no way. We are in Florida numerous times a year. Condo is in a very nice golf course gated community ...on the course...with wonderful clay courts which I spend a lot of time on. Our kids also come down several times a year.

Daughter, son in law, and new grand kid live behind us in Ohio also on a golf course. Might downsize it and buy a condo here in our community. Doubt we would ever sell everything here and go full time to Florida. All of my and wife's family are here within 12 miles of each other.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you ready for RE. I have been trying to lower expenses for a few years, but can't seem to get much below $65-70k. I read lots of finance blogs with families living on $20-30k, and wonder how I could lower expenses that much.

Enjoy the golf course homes. Sounds like a nice plan.

Back
Top Bottom