Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Welcome to the board. You sound like a very supportive wife. Your husband is a lucky man.
Anyone in a "1+1=1" relationship can be considered lucky... indeed, both of you are extremely so.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Anyone in a "1+1=1" relationship can be considered lucky... indeed, both of you are extremely so.
Nice of you to say.

Words can't cover how much he brings to my life. We're coming up on 9 years together, and I still consider the relationship sacred. By far the most valuable asset in my portfolio.
BizzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard BizzyC!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
We are not using 401k/IRA assets until some years from now. Our cash flow needs are met with cash reserves and income from real estate, dividends and interest. We keep 5 to 7 years of income in cash, mostly laddered CDs. You might consider gradually converting some of the non-401k assets to cash before you retire so you don't have to sell out at a bad time.
Hi Martha,

I have been thinking about some kind of laddered CD approach. Yes, and since by far the bulk of our non-401k assets are real estate, you have hit the nail on the head for the concern about being in a position where we may want or need to cash out at a bad time. We own three properties. Our place in Maui (no mortgage, own outright) where we intend to move to after pulling the ripcord, our current place here in Silicon Valley (have ~$500k equity), and his Mom's place (own outright, probably worth ~$250k). Obviously we won't be, uh, "timing" the sale of his Mom's place. The sale of our current place would just be dictated by the aforementioned pulling of the ripcord, which I hope will be in 2-3 yrs.

I don't imagine that we will stay in the Maui place forever. It's 2.5 acres, and it may well be too much for us as we get older. On that property you are allowed to build an main house, and a guest cottage that can be no more than 1,000 sq. ft. We've currently got the cottage built, and we are undecided whether or not we'll ever build the main house. So there are a lot of potential ways to slice that. We could live in the cottage and sell the main house land to someone else. We could build the main house, move into that, and sell the cottage, or sell the whole shooting match. It's good to have options, I guess.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyC View Post
Nice of you to say.

Words can't cover how much he brings to my life. We're coming up on 9 years together, and I still consider the relationship sacred. By far the most valuable asset in my portfolio.
I'm going to make one last comment on this and then drop it but I know EXACTLY what your talking about. Many years of happiness together.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board!

Quote:
I don't imagine that we will stay in the Maui place forever. It's 2.5 acres, and it may well be too much for us as we get older. On that property you are allowed to build an main house, and a guest cottage that can be no more than 1,000 sq. ft. We've currently got the cottage built, and we are undecided whether or not we'll ever build the main house. So there are a lot of potential ways to slice that. We could live in the cottage and sell the main house land to someone else. We could build the main house, move into that, and sell the cottage, or sell the whole shooting match. It's good to have options, I guess.
Excellent! Which surf break do you frequent?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I'm going to make one last comment on this and then drop it but I know EXACTLY what your talking about. Many years of happiness together.
I definitely feel like a very lucky person. I've been incredibly successful in achieving the things that I wanted in life, according to my personal priorities and on my own terms.

(And, many years of happiness to you too-- I can tell you DO know exactly what i'm talking about!)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Welcome to the board!

Excellent! Which surf break do you frequent?
Ha! Well, you teach me how to surf, and I'll teach you how to play volleyball? I can sort-of windsurf-- in a crappy, pathetic kind of way. (If I happen to be wearing a harness you may be treated to the rare but not unheard of catapulting scenario.)

Launiopoko. Probably way too tame for you, I guess!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ha! Well, you teach me how to surf, and I'll teach you how to play volleyball? I can sort-of windsurf-- in a crappy, pathetic kind of way. (If I happen to be wearing a harness you may be treated to the rare but not unheard of catapulting scenario.)
Launiopoko. Probably way too tame for you, I guess!
6-10 is my favorite size, and I have a healthy respect for anything up to 20. That looks like a great break to learn surfing. We were up in Napili Bay a couple months ago and we hiked Haleakala last year as well. We definitely plan to repeat the first this year, and perhaps the second.

I'm impressed with 2.5 acres anywhere in that area! I don't suppose there's a Home Depot in Lahaina yet? I wouldn't be so enthused about driving to Kahului every time a home repair came up.

Poster JB is from the Wailuku area, but he hasn't logged in here for over two years. I think you just became the E-R.org Maui Chapter president...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
6-10 is my favorite size, and I have a healthy respect for anything up to 20. That looks like a great break to learn surfing. We were up in Napili Bay a couple months ago and we hiked Haleakala last year as well. We definitely plan to repeat the first this year, and perhaps the second.

I'm impressed with 2.5 acres anywhere in that area! I don't suppose there's a Home Depot in Lahaina yet? I wouldn't be so enthused about driving to Kahului every time a home repair came up.

Poster JB is from the Wailuku area, but he hasn't logged in here for over two years. I think you just became the E-R.org Maui Chapter president...
Nope, no Home Depot in Lahaina, so indeed, it's a trek if we need to go there. I remember when we first started going out there, the drive over to Kahului seemed like a haul. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like that long of a trip now. I guess I'm getting acclimated. Can't ask for better scenery.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like that long of a trip now. I guess I'm getting acclimated. Can't ask for better scenery.
I think one aspect of being a local is complaining bitterly about having to drive 20 minutes (or 20 miles) to anywhere...

Spouse and I are infatuated with Maui or one of the other neighbor islands, especially a couple acres for a home, but we'd be even further out on the logistics chain and have to be even more self-sufficient.