Years til Travel Time

RenoJay

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi,

I've actually been on this forum for a few years, but due to poor user name/password controls, I lost my old log in and am here now under the moniker RenoJay.

I'm 43, and made a bunch of money as an entrepreneur by the time I was mid 30's. My passion is travel, but I have young kids in school who need stability so I'm essentially home bound except for many weekend excursions. My ER goal is to live 3 months in the home location, 3 months abroad, 3 months in US-based location #2 and then 3 months abroad. Then repeat til I die. Given my kids' ages, I'm about 13 years from such a goal.

I'm divorced but have a girlfriend who shares my goals and whom I love spending time with.

All the calculators I've used say I can ER today, but I've been having fun at my "day job" as a business broker. I only work a couple hours a day (from home) at most, and make full time income. Given the geo-constraints of having kiddos, I have no issue w*rking a few more years.

This forum has been extremely valuable, mostly in knowing there are lots of other frugal early retirees out there. Looking forward to getting to know more people over time!

I retired with kids at home... and it definitely cramps my travel style... I'm forced to stick to high season (expensive) summers and am limited to school breaks. So... even though I'm retired, I can't travel when I want.

That said - my day job had reached the point I didn't enjoy it - and I'm having fun doing other stuff than sitting in a cube or development lab... You are lucky to be in a spot to pad the nest egg with a day job you enjoy.

Hi,

My ER goal is to live 3 months in the home location, 3 months abroad, 3 months in US-based location #2 and then 3 months abroad. Then repeat til I die.

LOL. I like this goal. My previous job function required me to travel for extended periods (6 months to a year in various worldwide locations). Really caught the travel bug and enjoyed spending longer periods of time in one location. Would like to do that when we retire also. I like to get "nested" in a location, so a three month stint in various locations around the world sounds great. Good luck as you move forward.

Well, you can take your kids with you traveling during the 3 months summer. Just do it. Why wait 13 years

Well, you can take your kids with you traveling during the 3 months summer. Just do it. Why wait 13 years

1+ Some of my favorite memories with my family are of trips in Europe with my kids. Spending months abroad may not be an option right now, but that doesn't mean you still can't have some wonderful travel experiences.

Back
Top Bottom